What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very strange, but Lucy is completely unknown here. There was no hype or marketing whatsoever. Nobody is talking about it. I only know of its existence because of this board.

It was pretty heavily marketed here in the States. Once it was released it received absolutely no hype or word-of-mouth. Negative or positive. It just sort of happened, then it was gone. I heard no one talking about it, and knew no one who saw it.

Well now you know me!

I was surprised by how bad it was. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but thought it would at least be an enjoyable summer popcorn flick, but it didn't even deliver that.

GOTG-poster.jpg

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Was dragged in this movie while cruising California and my caution was well-deserved: Boring child's play with one or two mildly amusing punchlines (repeated without mercy like the Groot gag) playing figleaf for tons of boring battle footage obviously fulfilling an unwritten law that films of this sort just cannot exist without at least 80% of its running time filled with gracelessly shot and edited 'spectacle' that obviously not even the people spending two years making it cared for. It just fills the screen as if prequel-Lucas conceived it - put lots of stuff on that canvas, never mind nobody can really see what happens. Having never read the comics i lack subtext but taken on its own, this thing seemed an awful waste of time.

tusk-movie-poster-9.jpg

TUSK

You know, this wasn't too bad! For those who don't know, it stars Justin Long and Haley Joel Osment as two podcasters, their show is called "The Not-See Party", so named because Justin Long goes out and talks to people and then tells Haley Joel about it, hence he does Not See the people in question. A trek to Canada to interview someone for the show goes wrong for Justin Long, but he thinks he's salvaged the trip when he finds a notice in a bar's bathroom from a man who will share stories of his sea adventures in exchange for free room and board. Things just go wrong for Justin Long from there, and soon Haley Joel and Long's girlfriend are teaming up with a french detective played by an almost-unrecognizable Johnny Depp (uncredited) to find him.

The best part of the film was the acting - not only is Johnny Depp great, but the old man Justin Long goes to interview is played by Michael Parks, who I was completely unfamiliar with, but he was really really great. Almost his entire performance is long Kevin Smith penned monologues, and he really nails the delivery every time. The plot was known to me ahead of time except for the ending, which I liked. I guess this is kind of a start of the "third act" of Kevin Smith's career, who had basically written off directing ever again but starting with this script wrote 5 and plans to direct 3 of them as soon as possible. I certainly look more forward to them now than I had been after Cop Out and Red State, that's for sure.

Michael Parks plays a shared universe character between Rodriguez and Tarantino.

GOTG-poster.jpg

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Was dragged in this movie while cruising California and my caution was well-deserved: Boring child's play with one or two mildly amusing punchlines (repeated without mercy like the Groot gag) playing figleaf for tons of boring battle footage obviously fulfilling an unwritten law that films of this sort just cannot exist without at least 80% of its running time filled with gracelessly shot and edited 'spectacle' that obviously not even the people spending two years making it cared for. It just fills the screen as if prequel-Lucas conceived it - put lots of stuff on that canvas, never mind nobody can really see what happens. Having never read the comics i lack subtext but taken on its own, this thing seemed an awful waste of time.

Unlike most, I revel in reading bad reviews about movies I like.

It's very strange, but Lucy is completely unknown here. There was no hype or marketing whatsoever. Nobody is talking about it. I only know of its existence because of this board.

It was pretty heavily marketed here in the States. Once it was released it received absolutely no hype or word-of-mouth. Negative or positive. It just sort of happened, then it was gone. I heard no one talking about it, and knew no one who saw it.

Well now you know me!

I was surprised by how bad it was. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but thought it would at least be an enjoyable summer popcorn flick, but it didn't even deliver that.

Shame, because you seemed pretty high on it when the trailers were out.

Yeah. Before the film was released, LeBlanc was the biggest Lucy fanboy out there. That'll teach him not to get too excited for a movie before seeing it!

I thought it was pretty good

Annabelle

John R. Leonetti can not hold a candle to James Wan's electrifying direction in The Conjuring, and even with a smaller budget, he fails to elicit much in the way of atmosphere or suspense. Then again, it's hard to make an inanimate object (that never moves on its own) a truly horrifying entity, but Leonetti just bungles it. Annabelle Wallis and Ward Horton are no Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, and only Alfre Woodard is the one to impart any kind of warmth and sympathy as supporting character Evelyn (I'd wish the movie revolved around her instead of two white-bread Catholics). Joseph Bishara provides another atonal score, with strains of the music box theme from The Conjuring flitting throughout.

I pray James Wan returns to direct The Conjuring 2, because I don't trust New Line/WB to handle this franchise without him. I know he produced this film, but the difference between The Conjuring and Annabelle is appalling in terms of quality.

Gone Girl- A tense and occasionally funny thriller in which Fincher stays within his comfort zone. Trent Reznor's score wasn't nearly as awful as TSN or TGWTDT. I might even go as far as saying it was effective.

8/10

Watched Gravity today. It's not an older film so I mention here.

How people find this boring is beyond me.

No you said bored, that speaks to your attention which is often a disconnect from intelligence itself.

Most overrated snoozefest in recent memory.

That's exactly how I feel about Inception.

I find the moments with Cottilard very compelling (Zimmer's score helps a lot), but the turgid pseudo-007 action sequences do the film no favours. When they start, plot and character grind to halt.

Cottilard has something about her that is off putting. I would never cast her in a film.

Is that some retarded attempt at a gay dig?

No she acts like a bitch, but not in a good way.

If she was American I'd say like Kristen Stewart or Katherine Heigel.

She can also be extremely sweet, Joe, at least in some of her work in France. I find her very lovable in most of her roles, and I don't think that rests solely on her looks

Her looks are fine, she's pretty. There are few really unattractive actresses out there.

Gone Girl

People are praising Ben Affleck (good but not GREAT), but Rosamund Pike is even better. She has so many nuances and layers to Amy that it's impressive, and hope that if she gets serious awards love, she'll ride that tide and get better leading roles. There's still potential that she'll get offered roles styled similarly to Gone Girl, but she seems pretty level-headed and down to earth... I doubt that'll happen.

Fincher's direction is superb, and he manages to get a good performance from Tyler Perry for crying out loud. Reznor and Ross's score is decent when it embraces the warmer orchestral elements, but forgettable and annoying when it goes back to the usual atonal sludge.

She can also be extremely sweet, Joe, at least in some of her work in France. I find her very lovable in most of her roles, and I don't think that rests solely on her looks

She's amazing in TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT which deals with the pressures of a belgian woman plagued by depression and how her illness almost gets the best of her when she discovers that her workmates have opted for a significant pay bonus, in exchange for her dismissal. She has only one weekend to convince her colleagues to give up their bonuses so that she can keep her job - the whole movie is very affecting and Cotillard shines. Though i can't imagine that Joey even would consider it a proper movie, so....