What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

It's as you said, kind of disjointed. Would have benefitted from a single composer (whether it be Silvestri or Elfman).

I really liked the opening, with Elfman's catchy ostinato and new theme. And his theme for the Scarlet Witch gets a nice workout. Tyler's stuff blends in well with the action, and aside from his somewhat generic motif for Ultron, there was nothing really exceptional on his end.

But as many of you have already pointed out, the score is sadly undermixed. There were a couple of statements of Elfman's theme that were on the OST, but were buried under a lot of noise. Also, would have been nice to hear the theme shine louder during that big final 360 slow-mo Avengers shot at the church (like the one in the first film). Silvestri's theme is tracked in a couple of places, but it worked.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, the film is not as Downey Jr heavy as I thought it was going to be.

What I'm actually thinking about now is what the hell are they going to do after Infinity War? I mean, this is as big as Marvel gets...

Karol

He seems to have gotten the spirit of it.

Like KK I do worry about these films needing to get bigger and bigger. What more is there then the Universe, Spock?

Yep. After Infinity War, they're gonna have a hard time making things bigger.

Like KK I do worry about these films needing to get bigger and bigger. What more is there then the Universe, Spock?

As far as I know, Cap/Stark conflict is not more developed because... it wasn't a set up for Civil War. The decision to make that film came later.

Karol

It felt like an extension of their rivalry in the first film. If anything Stark was let off a bit easy in this film.

Yeah, I thought something pretty bad was going to happen, but then Thor just pops out of nowhere and BAM it's over.

Also, would have been nice to hear the theme shine louder during that big final 360 slow-mo Avengers shot at the church (like the one in the first film). Silvestri's theme is tracked in a couple of places, but it worked.

That's still about the only time you hear the music properly.

Karol

As I discussed over in the spoilers thread for AAOU, I think once Infinity War is over and the 2020s begin, the landscape of superhero films will be different, plus a lot of the OG MCU stars will want to move on to other projects. I think the Phase 4 MCU films will focus on other superheroes than Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor.

Anyone else familiar with the comics? Apparently they lose the Infinity War, the Universe gets destroyed, and some external identity pieces it back together deus ex machina style. Does that sound right?

As I discussed over in the spoilers thread for AAOU, I think once Infinity War is over and the 2020s begin, the landscape of superhero films will be different, plus a lot of the OG MCU stars will want to move on to other projects. I think the Phase 4 MCU films will focus on other superheroes than Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor.

Oh yes, of course. That's how Marvel works. But then, I was talking about "getting bigger". I mean, there's hardly anything bigger in this universe than the Infinity Gauntlet stuff.

Karol

Anyone else familiar with the comics? Apparently they lose the Infinity War, the Universe gets destroyed, and some external identity pieces it back together deus ex machina style. Does that sound right?

That's more or less it, yes.

If you want to know a bit more:

Thanos basically kills (all?) the Avengers, but Gamora manages to take the Infinity Gauntlet from him an resets everything.

Yes and no.

Karol

Also, would have been nice to hear the theme shine louder during that big final 360 slow-mo Avengers shot at the church (like the one in the first film). Silvestri's theme is tracked in a couple of places, but it worked.

That's still about the only time you hear the music properly.

Karol

I agree, but the main melody doesn't pop up till later in the sequence, which was a questionable decision. Silvestri's take on the scene was admittedly more effective.

Oh yes, of course. That's how Marvel works. But then, I was talking about "getting bigger". I mean, there's hardly anything bigger in this universe than the Infinity Gauntlet stuff.

Karol

Agreed. But by 2020, maybe general audiences will be sick of "huge" superhero films, and will be happy to enjoy "smaller" Phase 4 films.

Maybe Phase 4 won't even have an Avengers entry! Just a bunch of solo films for a while!

That's more or less it, yes.

If you want to know a bit more:

Thanos basically kills (all?) the Avengers, but Gamora manages to take the Infinity Gauntlet from him an resets everything.

Oh boy. And this is happening over 2 films?

Maybe the superhero craze will just die down after that? *fingers crossed*

Karol

Agreed. But by 2020, maybe general audiences will be sick of "huge" superhero films, and will be happy to enjoy "smaller" Phase 4 films.

Maybe Phase 4 won't even have an Avengers entry! Just a bunch of solo films for a while!

That's why Daredevil is actually pretty refreshing in this universe. There's nothing really larger than life in it.

Karol

Oh boy. And this is happening over 2 films?

There is no reason to think that the films will follow the same plot points as the comics. None of the MCU films have so far.

Fair enough. Will the original cast be in those films? Or is Iron Man done with Civil War?

Marvel has not announced the cast of Infinity War yet. It's 3 years away! They are only discussing Ant-Man, Civil War, and Doctor Strange publicly for now.

He had a contract for three Iron Man films.

Then they signed a contract with him for Avengers film and two more of those.

Then Civil War came up. Whether that's a brand new contract or part of the old one, I don't know. Seems to me like former.

And then they split Infinity War into two films.

It's quite confusing.

Karol

It Follows

Good stuff. Great first half, kind of loses it as it draws to the end. But it shows real promise for the director. A smart play on your typical horror tropes but not done in an overly winky fashion. A refreshing entry in a dull genre.

It Follows

A refreshing entry in a dull genre.

Teenage horror?

Horror in general. Though they're all aimed at teens these days anyway.

But there's something that feels kind of old-fashioned about it, like those 80s horror flicks that woud revolve around a band of kids, but done with a much sharper visual style.

Pretty neat, drawing a page or two from the old Carpenter scores. I was expecting more based on all the hype. JWFan will hate it of course.

Spooks : The Greater Good - recommended to anyone who enjoyed the television series. More outlandish spy fare (M:I Rogue Nation, Man From UNCLE, SPECTRE) will be along later in the year, but there's nothing wrong with the lower-key thrills on offer here.

Interstellar:

interstellar_zpsy7r6vtpu.jpeg

I found Interstellar to be even worse than Gravity. The way Nolan addresses the viewer (through the characters and their dialogue) was almost unbearable. The style was also quite ordinary and entirely devoid of irony and artistry. How strange that the director dares to compare the style with 2001: A Space Odyssey (Nolan said that Interstellar is like 2001 because the story is not told through the characters, which most movies do, even TDK). What?! Interstellar is a very conventional film told from the sentimental and emotional point of view of the characters, just like any other blockbuster. The characters tell the story here, not the director. Matthew McConaughey even whispers his way through the whole movie as if he is explanatory dictionary! And all the goddamn crying and weeping! I can't tell you how much my mouth fell open from bewilderment and disbelief. 'Love conquers time and space!' Man, Interstellar is even too sweet for Spielberg. I'm not a fan of Nolan's house composer Hans Zimmer but his contribution was actually the only positive point that I could find in this film. 2/10

Alex

Rarely do we agree, Alex, but this is one of those moments. I shall cherish it.

Interstellars tag line is absolutely retarded.

Saw a really bad film that I knew would be bad but since Ive been on a Zombie kick. We watched the Walking Deceased. It's a spoof of every zombie thing of recent date. But there was not a moment of joy.

Why is the tagline "retarded", Joey? You believe mankind was born somewhere else? Or are we destined to die here? Share us your thoughts, Joey.

Alex

Well, you're not Joey, but okay.

Well, many astrophysicists - not exactly the most mentally retarded people out there - believe that the long-term survival of mankind lies in colonizing space. We can't stay here forever. If we do, mankind will become extinct.

Dark Shadows - Saw this last night, and is such a misfire. Tim Burton can't make up his mind whether to make this a satire (like The Addams Family), a more straightforward telling, or something entirely different with the same title. I chuckled a few times (mostly at scenes shown in the trailer), but the end result is not thrilling, not all that funny, or entertaining. The production design and cinematography is typically top notch, but it just makes the film's shortcomings even more apparent.