What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Well surrendering is in their nature.

We are so close to another summer movie season. I wonder what will be #1. This year's so far has sucked IMHO and yet the boxoffice is much better in 2015 than at the same point in 2014.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefan and I argue and we call each other names, lovingly of course but I don't think I have ever called him that.

Lol the place is too barren now for people to really get their knickers in a twist over strongly held beliefs, but whatever. Keep the kid gloves on, gentlemen.

I can't wait until all of Europe thinks like Steef and opens the rest of their borders with love and brotherhood and tolerance to the Muslim people.

Well we can't just throw out all religious people, can we? Too many of them belong to the "right" religion and therefore claim to have the right to throw out people of the "wrong" religions.

What was wrong with being an atheist again?

Atheists arguably have the smallest amount of utterly deluded members among their group compared to the other, more mythologically orientated ones.

But it's still a large number thanks to some of the more "evangelical" atheist figureheads.

Not in the US....

I suppose there are enough people here to ensure that every group has a significant contingent of batshit moronic members embarrassing their reasonable peers.

Atheists aren't nearly as vocal about religion as the religious folks are about atheism.

In my experience it's pretty equal, if not skewed the other way. I mean, look at the few exchanges on the subject on this board... one side is pretty under-represented, no? Some atheists may be afraid to speak up because of the sort of thing you mentioned, but I suspect far more religious people are afraid to speak up because of how easily they can be dismissed and ridiculed.

On the internet anyway, one presence is far more pervasive.

Sorry I started us down this path, that was my bad.

No more political or religious discussion, sorry.

But late but my review of Jupiter Ascending is here! Not that anybody is waiting for it... ;)

I've not read it yet, actually... wrote it weeks ago... Can't remember what's in it.

Karol

Saw Cinderella this evening. It was the first film I ever saw as a child. The live version was beautiful. It was magical. Liked Doyles score in the film. Felt sympathy for Cate Blanchetts evil step mother. Love the chemistry between Kit and Ella.

Best film of 15 so far.

She was bippity bopping boo, she was silly. But that was the role. Short and purposeful. The film is not as Grimm a tale as was Into the Woods.

Run All Night - nice to see a Neeson actioner with a certificate that actually allows for the ass-kicking and blood-letting to be shown, rather than the 'camera in as close as possible and editing so frenetic that you're unsure of what actually happened, allowing us to get away with a 12A/PG-13' approach which the Taken franchise has now adopted. The likes of Ed Harris and Nick Nolte in the cast take the film up a notch or two, as well.

The interview

Funny movie for everyone except North Koreans. :pfft:

I thought James Franco was hilarious, he had fun with the part. I don't normally like him in anything else but here he made himself look stupid and got away with it.

There were maybe one or two gags that were amusing. But as a whole, was kind of boring.

WHIPLASH

Certainly brilliantly acted and made, but underneath all the grand theatrics i was slightly put off by the (very american) ethos the movie puts at its center: the affirmation of pitiless blood, sweat and tears egoism as necessary means to an end - that Andrew's father is played as goodhearted loser is a dead giveaway - may be true for realization of some precious genius, but in the big picture it is also an ever-growing demand on people at all levels of society to be able to succeed (be better, more efficient etc.). In that sense i found WHIPLASH a very engaging, stirring experience that sheds some light at our society at large even though the price Andrew (and Fletcher) have to pay for their relentless pursuit is (consciously?) downplayed (even ludicrously so, teacher throwing chairs in student's direction would make a lot of lawyers happy and the teacher famous in a messy way)..

Mommy by Xavier Dolan (2014).

A hard movie. A kind of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", in less well mastered, but still interresting and somewhat moving. The movie shows a very original way to use the 1:1 image ratio. The performance of the rebellious teen, Antoine Olivier Pilon, is very good.

In his movies Dolan try to show differents aspects of women, often in their mother role. Like he did with "J'ai tué ma mère" (2009), he hit the right spots. That's the kind of movies that doesn't leave you indifferent.

BH6_Team_Transparent.png

Big Hero 6

Fun film, though definitely aimed at children. I liked it though, was never bored, the pacing is just fine, and all the characters are interesting. It's kind of a cross between Real Steel and The Incredibles. I'd watch a sequel.

That was a great animated film. For some reason, it really got to me (more like a PIXAR movie usually does).

It felt a lot like a Pixar film, actually. Like Disney was purposely trying to make a Pixar-ish film. But it wasn't really marketed that way

Katniss-998x553.jpg

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

Well, I liked it. It wasn't as good as either of the first two films, but it wasn't terrible. The biggest problem with it is that it FEELS like half a movie. After the last 2 films, they could have easily wrapped up the story with just one more film. This film is 2 hours but could have easily been condensed down to the first hour of a 3 hour final movie and been fine.

There really isn't any great action scenes, or truly suspenseful moments, its a lot of character development and plot setup. Meaning the next film will probably be all action, leaving this one the odd one out. Still, despite all that, its not unenjoyable. I still want to see how the series ends, but won't be rushing out to see it in theaters.

JNH's score was gone, definitely the score I noticed most while watching out of the three films. He did some cool things with choir.

movies_adam_12-17-14_--_wild.jpg

Wild

Very good movie, I liked it a lot! Reese Witherspoon stars as Cheryl Strayed, a women who hiked 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest trailer for 3 months in the summer of 1995. The reasons she decides to do this are revealed throughout the film, which is littered with flashbacks to events throughout her whole life, from her childhood being raised by her mom (Laura Dern) and abusive, alcoholic dad, through her failed marriage and beyond. The main storyline is compelling as are the backstory, and the film moves along at a great pace - the film is over before you know it, and you're left wanting more.

You get very good acting from Witherspoon and Dern, gorgeous scenery shots of the trail (basically desert, mountain rangers, rivers, lakes, and canyons from south California up to Washington state), a huge supporting cast as she meets various people along the way (as well as those shown in flashbacks), some good drama, some suspense, danger, comedy, heartbreak, and more.

Good film!