What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex Machina

This Alex Garland, I like a lot. It's a remarkable directorial debut, and it smartly conceals its budget by limiting most of its screentime to one central location. It's thought-provoking, and for once Garland doesn't run out of steam for the film's ending, which is equally chilling and mesmerizing. (Much more so than Garland's 28 Days Later script.) Domnhall Gleeson and Oscar Isaac do good work here, but like everyone said, Alicia Vikander is a revelation as Ava (a complete 180 from her terrible performance in Seventh Son).

It's certainly worth seeing, be it theatrically or on VOD.

Garland doesn't run out of steam in 28 Days Later before it ends. The film just doesn't repeat itself with another Zombie attack. Smart! We get a shift of enemy. Now the world is really fucked up.

Garland doesn't run out of steam in Dredd either.

Alex

Garland doesn't run out of steam in 28 Days Later before it ends. The film just doesn't repeat itself with another Zombie attack. Smart! We get a shift of enemy. Now the world is really fucked up.

Alex

It's not totally f**ked up in "28DsL". At least Manchester is gone.

My Mad Max: Fury Road review for Film and Other Assorted Buffery.

Yeah, I know it is in the spoiler thread but it also belongs here. No spoilers, really. You can't really spoil a film that has such a simple premise.

Karol

Didnt you read Crocs review? He actually loved it.

You surprise me Alex. Always so full of yourself about how the visual aspect of a film is what you look for most of all, yet you probably wont even bother to see this until its released on Blu.

Netflix!

No seriously, I remember people here saying I would love Edge Of Tomorrow: Live, Die, Repeat and how it's so Liman ... Well, I bought the Blu-ray and I thought it was only a 6/10 movie.

Netflix!

No seriously, I remember people here saying I would love Edge Of Tomorrow: Live, Die, Repeat and how it's so Liman ... Well, I bought the Blu-ray and I thought it was only a 6/10 movie.

Yes, but that's different. You like films that Zack Snyder would like. And Fury Road is definitely that.

Karol

Alex

Dredd's the only other movie than Ex Machina that I really liked.

Alex

Of all the hundreds of thousands of films ever made?

Alex

I like Dredd but it's a mindless (yet cool) action movie. 28 Days Later is a more resonant film.

I can do one but they are obnoxious worse than a Boston accent.

Mad Max : Fury Road - well, this simply took the breath away; rarely is action cinema so visually striking, crazily inventive and largely CGI-free nowadays. Makes the Fast and Furious franchise look like it's ready for the breakers yard.

For what it's worth: The Fast and The Furious (yep I like these movies) started using more live action filmed chases and stunts from part 5 onward. The difference is quite noticeable to anyone able to spot computer effects. The documentary's on the blu-ray point this out. Some CGI to enhance the action is present of course, but overall I applaud the makers going against the trend in film 5 and 6.

Agreed.

The safe chase in Fast 5 is incredible.

Have only ever watched the first one ... thought it was mediocre and left me with no desire to see the others. The trailer for the latest one made it look like a massively-budgeted hip-hop video ... meh, no thanks.

Alex

Of all the hundreds of thousands of films ever made?

Matt is VERY picky!

I'm picky... just not that picky. :P

I liked the concept of the second half, but I still thought it ran out of steam. But then, I'm the only one who found the ending of Sunshine consistent and perfectly satisfying.

Mad Max: Fury Road

After seeing this, frankly I am astounded that it has garnered almost universal praise by critics. Not because I didn't like it, I did, very much so, but it's not the type of movie you would think is critic-proof. It was bat-shit crazy and awesome.

Have only ever watched the first one ... thought it was mediocre and left me with no desire to see the others. The trailer for the latest one made it look like a massively-budgeted hip-hop video ... meh, no thanks.

They basically are, especially Furious 7. I do like some of the cast, namely Michelle Rodriguez, the late Paul Walker, Tyrese, and Jordana Brewster. Vin Diesel has the charisma of a block of wood and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson isn't in them enough for my liking.