What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how self-conscious that one reviewer feels right about now.

He probably feels great, as most critics do when their opinion defies the norm.

It actually featured some decent cues in the quieter moments! As for the action material, well, don't expect much variation. As was mentioned by Koko, it's very similar to the action music from Man Of Steel: lots of drums, drums, drums... on a loop. It gets the job done, and even works rather well in the film, but it's not something I'd listen to away from it.

stale direction of a script...

I don't think Burton is that great of a director. He has a great eye for production design and visuals, but he doesn't invest himself in giving clear direction to his actors. The quality of his movies ultimately hinges on the scripts.

I can see why a lot of people don't like Alice in Wonderland, but I find it enjoyable in places. More entertainment value than Dark Shadows for sure.

Ex Machina

Grey had a point with this one, there's nothing necessarily original or particularly striking here to add to the genre. But having said that, the film handles all its ideas, philosophical references and Kubrick/Blade Runner homages with such keen deftness that it makes the whole affair justified. And while it played more like an elegant exercise in well-crafted sci-fi than a "brilliant masterpiece", you can't help but appreciate it. It's a very good directorial debut for Garland, and I found it enjoyable to the last minute. Just don't go in expecting something more daring like Under the Skin.

Mad Max: Fury Road - George Miller (2015)

This movie is absolutely insane. Loved it!

9/10

It was dumb but in a wonderfully messy way. And Miller knows: prolonged truck and tank battles montaged in kinetic fashion can entertain any boy or man for 2 hours, so he dispensed with any notion of story or expositional dialogue which is probably a good thing. The only thing i found wretched was the adagio music.

I agree, Drax. You could say that movies like Alice In Wonderland are bad because here he lost himself in CGI. Yes, Burton is not the most 'stable' director out but he occasionally has outbursts of brilliance. Every 10 years or so he makes a great movie. That's more than Ridley Scott can say these days (read: these past decades).

The crowd goes "Hear, hear"...

Alex

PS: in the cinema, i saw trailers for a new TERMINATOR movie, ANT-MAN, JURASSIC WORLD and one about Adam Sandler being chased by Pac-Man. Are these movies made by brain-damaged martians? I seriously can't believe any halfway decent human filmmaker would spent years of his life on such irritating (and maniacally loud) crap.

These are studio movies and the line of directors that are willing to make them is very, very long. In an ideal world those movies would not exist.

That doesn't puzzle me as much as that they are still considerable audiences perfectly willing to shell out 14€ (the steep price for a 3-D showing of MAD MAX) for movie that aren't even movies but videogame outtakes (i left out HITMAN, another movie incredibility).

It consequentially felt like a comic adaptation of the old Mel Gibson movies. The movie almost lost me early on with the post-nuclear sandstorm sequence but soon found its footing with the escape of the women posse. I'm not too sure about Max even being in it - he's more like a TANK GIRL sidekick in this one - but why bother? The giant rods the freak henchmen use for fetching the girls were fucking awesome.

Mad Max isn't the main character in his own movie?

Why?

Whose idea was that?

That doesn't necesarily look like a bad idea to me. He can also be the type of characters that's used by the film to run into other characters.

I'm really angry because they haven't released it here in subtitled version, so I don't know what to do. On one hand, it probably isn't the kind of film that suffers a lot for it, but on the other hand I've refused for years to see dubbed films at the cinema. Aaaaagh. I want to live somewhere else.

I guess I'll watch instead the original trilogy. On my laptop, because I have no other way of seeing anything.

Why?

Whose idea was that?

I wouldn't say Max is deliberately sidelined or anything. It's just more of an ensemble than the other movies, it kind of naturally comes out of the story. He and Furiosa are basically co-leading characters.

About the lack of expositional dialogue: I agree. In fact, I thought that with just a few shots, Miller did a wonderfully job at setting up his universe, and in a more effective way than he would have with characters just explaining to us what's going on.

The film almost fees like the reverse of a Chris Nolan movie in how it allows the visuals rather then the dialogue to tell the story.

Why?

Whose idea was that?

Well, he is.

He's just not the loudest one. ;)

Karol

I enjoyed the first one on Netflix a few months ago. It's a revenge western based in post-apocalyptic Australia.

I haven't seen the other two, but a colleague always quoted Thunderdome. Two men enter, one man leaves.

About the lack of expositional dialogue: I agree. In fact, I thought that with just a few shots, Miller did a wonderfully job at setting up his universe, and in a more effective way than he would have with characters just explaining to us what's going on.

The film almost fees like the reverse of a Chris Nolan movie in how it allows the visuals rather then the dialogue to tell the story.

Yep. Cremers should love it in that regard!

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is one of Zack Snyder's favorite movies but I rewatched it and I didn't think it was that good. I liked the Mad Max franchise at the time but I never was a big fan. Maybe this Fury Road is some kind of update to Road Warrior.

Doesn't surprise me. He doesn't want to tell people how they should feel about him. He has a blank face so people who see him can cast their own emotions on his face and experience him differently.