The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Thor 1 reminded me of Masters of the Universe a lot because it was muscle man and his team of heroes descending from their dimension to Earth to fight baddies from their own plane of existence. Only the score wasn't as good.

And when I first watched it, I had no idea it was related to the existing Iron Man and Hulk movies.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Looks just like Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Looks fun!

17 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Looks fun!

Oh, BloodBoal beat me to it!

It does look fun. Though it also looks like its trying too hard to ride off the success of Guardians, at least with the trailer. I'm sure Marvel will exhaust that formula very soon.

I might watch it for Cate Blanchett.

A reason why people say 'Guardians' is because it takes place on alien planets and not Earth. This is not a formula. It's geographical!

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

And when I first watched it, I had no idea it was related to the existing Iron Man and Hulk movies.

Not even when Agent Coulson showed up?

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

A reason why people say 'Guardians' is because it takes place on alien planets and not Earth. This is not a formula. It's geographical!

Well, that and the retro font, the old school hit rock songs and the general humour...

To me it makes sense for the more spacey/mystical Marvel films to have similar aesthetics.  I mean.... that's what the MCU is....they're replicating how the comics interconnect but in film form...

I can't disagree with that. And I can't say it doesn't make sense in a world building kinda way.

But it does show once again Marvel seems more interested now in their overall product line rather then making each individual film series unique 

Just now, Stefancos said:

But it does show once again Marvel seems more interested now in their overall product line rather then making each individual film series unique 

Again, like the comics.  Marvel has always had more of a "house style" than DC.  I'm not big on comics, but this was their goal and they're certainly fulfilling that.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow! You might be the only one!

I liked The Dark World better and so did everyone I've talked to IRL.

Maybe not in Thor 2 but Hopkins did elevate the scenes in Thor 1.

odin-703012.jpg

Look at me! Do I look bored to you?!

(Hewitt & Hiddleston on the other hand ...)

Hopkins freely admitted he didn't have a clue what the second film was about and just did his lines.

"Thor again? Kenneth not directing? Higher fee? Hmmm....well if my schedule is free. But do make sure about the fee. And make sure when they send the script my lines are clearly marked this time." - Hopkins talking to his agent.

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Hopkins saying he really could not be arsed about the film he was in isnt something that was part of the publicity campaign I think.

Youngsters: "Hahaha, that old man doesn't get it. He's so old! However, we, young men, in our prime, are intelligent enough to understand a complicated movie like The Dark World."

All part of the publicity, Steef! You don't really think Hopkins is guilty of anti-publicity, do you?! 

I heard Gunn on a podcast a year or 2 ago, and then it seemed like he wanted to direct a small indie film after Guardians 2, I think he said he had already written it?

I'm sure he'll make a smaller film between GOTG 2 and 3.  He wrote The Belko Experiment between 1 and 2 (EDIT: nevermind, he had written that before GOTG, it just didn't get made til after).

Oh, that might have been the film I heard him talking about.  Didn't realize it was made and out already.