The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Yes, but that's Avengers. We'll have to wait and see if Guardians has the same long-lasting appeal. Maybe it will quickly die like Hellboy.

I think you're underestimating the success of Guardians Alex. The masses loved the first film, and they will surely fill in the seats for the second.

It doesn't matter how good or bad GOTG 2 itself is; It will make a ton of money off the success of the first.  If GOTG 2 sucks, GOTG 3 will make less.  That's how it works for big blockbusters.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

I think you're underestimating the success of Guardians Alex. The masses loved the first film, and they will surely fill in the seats for the second.

Alex wants to believe no one really liked or understood the first film. Only he did. Which is total BS, it was very well liked and made a shit load of money. But that's Alex for you.

Alex, do they have the Vue cinema chain in Belgium?

Here in late april they have having a marathon showing of both Guardians Of The Galaxy movies! For less then €15!

That will be an amazing evening....i mean would be. Because i'm not going of course.

I didn't know you were a comic book reader.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's not the Spider-man comics humour I remember from my childhood though.

Nowadays I am not. I recently bought and read Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen, which is the only thing I've read in years.

But when I was a kid I did read loads of comic books. Though I was always more into the Belgian stuff than the American. Suske en Wiske, Kuifje, Asterix and Obelix, bit of Robbedoes, and Guust Flater.

Good stuff!

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Nowadays I am not. I recently bought and read Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen, which is the only thing I've read in years.

By the way, how was it?

Karol

Kevin Feige was just interviewed by Leonard Maltin on his podcast, "Maltin on Movies".

I wasn't at all familiar with Feige beyond just know that he's the driving force behind creating and running the MCU. I thought it was pretty fascinating.

http://nerdist.com/maltin-on-movies-120-kevin-feige/

As a bonus, he mentions having just coming from the cutting room for Spider-Man: Homecoming and "hearing snippets of score."

EDIT: Full quote for clarity:

"I just came home from the [Spider-Man: Homecoming] cutting room and we're working on a cut and we heard some initial score today"

Since Giacchino is recording War of the Planet of the Apes this week, it doesn't seem likely that he has even started writing Spider-man yet.  Either he wrote a some specific cues early on that they are using for temping / previews (like Into Darkness and Force Awakens), or Feige just heard the temp score

Ok, I just relistened to that bit of the interview and it's a little clearer.  He did not mean that they were editing the music to picture yet, they were two separate things.  Full quote:

"I just came home from the [Spider-Man: Homecoming] cutting room and we're working on a cut and we heard some initial score today"

On 26-3-2017 at 9:59 AM, Stefancos said:

But when I was a kid I did read loads of comic books. Though I was always more into the Belgian stuff than the American. Suske en Wiske, Kuifje, Asterix and Obelix, bit of Robbedoes, and Guust Flater.

Good stuff!

For what it's worth, Asterix and Obelix is a French comic book series.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ok, I just relistened to that bit of the interview and it's a little clearer.  He did not mean that they were editing the music to picture yet, they were two separate things.  Full quote:

"I just came home from the [Spider-Man: Homecoming] cutting room and we're working on a cut and we heard some initial score today"

So synth demos I guess.

Probably!

Anyway, it really is a good interview.  I highly recommend listening.  Interesting that Feige's "foot in the door" was an unpaid internship with Richard Donner's production company which eventually led to him working on the first X-Men movie, the first Marvel movie he was involved with.  Heck, I didn't even realize that Donner's company produces the X-Men films for Fox to this day, including Deadpool and Logan!

I also wonder if this is partly why he doesn't aggressively go after the X-men properties like he did Spider-Man, in terms of bringing them into Marvel Studios, out of respect and friendship for the people who gave him his start.

Nah the reason is the X-Men films perform well for Fox and they have no complaints; The Spider-man reboots underperformed (for what Sony wanted) so they were willing to strike a bargain to right the ship

They can do what they want with the next X-Men film. Deadpool is one of the strongest characters in the genre of the last few years. And eventually tentative inquiries regarding a fourth Fantastic Four reboot can be made.

Fox will be sitting on this property. Charming little money maker.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah the reason is the X-Men films perform well for Fox and they have no complaints; The Spider-man reboots underperformed (for what Sony wanted) so they were willing to strike a bargain to right the ship

I didn't say the reason, I said partly.  Sony struck a bargain because Feige was already aggressively pressuring them to let Marvel Studios take over Spider-Man.  I bet he doesn't do that with The Donners' Company, which still produces all the X-Men films.

We're all just speculating anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked Thor best when it played up the bright fantasy element (this is partly why I vastly prefer Dark World to the first movie).  This looks great to me.

I chalk that up to the majority of this taking place in other "realms" (i.e. not Asgard or Midgard).  The few shots of Asgard don't seem outrageously different

The first two Thor movies are the least distinctive, of the MCU canon, I'd wager - and it shouldn't be that way when you're the first films in a series to not take place on Earth. 

The humor is what I expected from the director, but I wouldn't liken it to Guardians' humor - which is cynical/sarcastic in nature, at least Rocket and Starlord.  This seems like it will be much goofier or campier, and I'm all about that.

I'd call it good course correction for the series, IMO.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I vastly prefer Dark World to the first movie

Wow! You might be the only one!

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The first two Thor movies are the least distinctive, of the MCU canon, I'd wager - and it shouldn't be that way when you're the first films in a series to not take place on Earth. 

This was my problem with the first movie, a problem I think was solved in the second.  Dark World really wasn't on Earth all that much, especially compared to the first one.  This movie is just continuing the trend.