Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

• 1 month later...

Some updates...

Universal is eyeing Louisiana (more specifically, Baton Rouge) as a possible filming location for Jurassic Park 4.

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2013/03/jurassic_park_4_to_shoot_in_ba.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Frank Marshall says all is well on JP4, and that there will be updates 'soon'.

https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/311945441300316160

And again, Spielberg says he's NOT directing JP4:

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-lincoln-tintin-sequels-jurassic-park-4-interview/137598/

Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) will helm Jurassic Park 4.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/colin-treverrow-to-helm-jurassic-park-4-for-universal-and-steven-spielberg/

He's a pretty unknown name, but apparently he grew up on the trilogy. Spielberg, Marshall and studio brass met him and felt like he was a good match for the material.

I for one LOVED "Safety Not Guaranteed". It was one of my favorite films from last year. Just because one doesn't have much experience doesn't mean he doesn't have what it takes. He proved with "Safety" that he can direct a good off-beat character comedy that had a focus on characters you actually gave a damn about. So I think this will hopefully assure the characters in JP4 will come off as real people that we WANT to watch along with the dinosaurs. The same can't be said for a lot of films these days, including the JP franchise, honestly (except for the first film). Besides, without spoiling too much, there actually was some minor SFX in "Safety" that were not bad for it's limited budget. I'm sure he'll have plenty of help in that department, anyway, with all the experienced SFX people he will have around him. I mean the guy who directed the last 4 Potter films had no SFX experience either. He came only from television!

Also, as someone else posted on another forum, this video interview taken a while back pretty much backs up that news article. Start it at 21:52.

Here is a quote from the video:

"I can’t speak with any specificity as to what the next thing will be. There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a good deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is. So, I just want to say in advance that I promise you, for all those who love the mythology that I will be tackling, trust that I love it as much as you do. And I will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck".

That video was dated June of last year. So I guess they have kept things under wraps for quite some time...

Whoa! I've heard his name before, but don't know his work. Will imdb him now.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Safety Not Guaranteed is Trevorrow's first feature film, he originally directed one TV movie and a documentary. But if his pitch impressed both Spielberg and Universal, hopefully it'll yield great results.

Looks like Universal booking studio space in Baton Rouge is indeed for Jurassic Park 4.

A very interesting location...

Oh, and for those not familiar, a trailer for "Safety". I definitely recommend seeing this film. It isn't anything amazing, but just a very solid and fun film. It's on Netflix streaming, btw.

This is definetly very exciting! I will watch Safety Not Guaranteed in the next couple of days, to see what he's directing style is like. From the reviews I've read, it had amazing characters, so kudos to Spielberg and company for hiring a character-oriented director.

It also gives us indie-filmmakers hope that if you do something good, there's definetly great things coming towards you.

It's finally happening, guys! Our patience has finally paid off. And I for one appreciate it that they're keeping a lot of stuff under wraps. Feels like the good ol' days, before internet became popular...

A very interesting location...

Universal filmed both Battleship and Oblivion in Baton Rouge, plus Louisiana offers up a considerable 30% tax rebate on production costs. I wonder why they're not going back to Hawaii for outdoor scenes...

Anyway with Netflix who hasn't yet, watch Safety Not Guaranteed.

I was very impressed with "Safety Not Guaranteed". All the characters were fleshed out well, and even one character that appeared destined for a simple path had a very interesting development throughout the movie which was very unexpected. I'm very interested to see what he can do with Jurassic Park, as it will definitely be a challenge, but hopefully he is up for the task.

They fucked it up for two films in a row, it's hard to believe that they will change course with this one.

Ever the skeptic, you are.

I'd like to think the writers approached Universal and Spielberg about the pitch they had concerning a fourth film (like they did with Rise of the Apes), and that story makes it worth revisiting. Plus, the fact that they even went out of their way to hire a virtual unknown to direct shows they want to avoid that trap the last two films fell in.

And now... we can start speculating about who will score the film. I can't imagine Universal allowing Trevorrow to bring his Safety composer Ryan Miller to score a big tentpole like Jurassic Park 4. I don't know how extensive Spielberg's involvement will be, whether it'll extend to the composer or not. It would be amazing if Johnny came back for a third go-round, but I think that's a long shot.

They fucked it up for two films in a row, it's hard to believe that they will change course with this one.

I'd like to think the writers approached Universal and Spielberg about the pitch they had concerning a fourth film (like they did with Rise of the Apes), and that story makes it worth revisiting. Plus, the fact that they even went out of their way to hire a virtual unknown to direct shows they want to avoid that trap the last two films fell in.

Plus, at the end of the day these are just adventure movies about dinosaurs.

For some reason I get the impression Chaac was hoping for Lawrence of Arabia.

Plus, at the end of the day these are just adventure movies about dinosaurs.

Lawrence of Arabia is just an adventure movie in the desert.

I don't understand why for so many people the idea of dinosaurs has to mean, at best, mediocre films and narratives by default. I'm neither content nor entertained by that. I'm a geologist at heart, of course I'd want to see some truly badass film that has dinosaurs in it, even more in this time where I have the impression that the same films keep being made and remade over and over. However, I'm not expecting it any time soon.

Many films I'd love to see don't exist.

I'd pay to see that!

This is Oscar worthy. One day, I'm gonna make this film, I guarantee it!

Regarding the subject of the composer, I have a feeling that *if* Williams ends up doing Episode VII, Giacchino will surely do JPIV as a compensation of sorts. I'm sure he's a fan of the JP franchise too, and he's no stranger to said world... Some orchestral Powell would be nice, too.

I can't imagine Universal allowing Trevorrow to bring his Safety composer Ryan Miller to score a big tentpole like Jurassic Park 4.

Why not? I think he did a great job with "Safety". ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wdCCRJMcu0

Okay... maybe not the best for a Jurassic Park film, but he did good for that one, I felt. :D

I just have this feeling Universal and Spielberg will push for a 'more familiar' composer for JP4. It could very well be a David Yates situation, when he was allowed to bring Nicholas Hooper on for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I don't think that'll be the case with Trevorrow and Miller. Maybe Trevorrow wants to work with Williams, and Spielberg can use his 'influence' to get him back on. It's wishful thinking on my part, though.

I have a feeling the composer will be someone entirely unexpected that everyone will feel, at best, indifferent about. Sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but in this department I've learned it's best to go in with low expectations. :( (Example: Harry Potter, after Williams left).

I have a feeling the composer will be someone entirely unexpected that everyone will feel, at best, indifferent about. Sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but in this department I've learned it's best to go in with low expectations. :( (Example: Harry Potter, after Williams left).

As long as it's not Don Davis or RC/MV folk, I'll be good.

I may be in the minority that liked what Don Davis did. It certainly worked for the popcorn over the top movie that it was. I loved hearing the themes from the first film again and likes his new material even. However since he has basically dropped film composing plus the different nature of this film, I don't think he is even under consideration for the composer honestly. But I do agree that a rc/mv composer would be horrible and disappointing.

I thought Jared Emerson-Johnson did a wonderful job on the Telltale JURASSIC PARK game. Great Williams pastiche. But I doubt that he will ever be up for consideration.

An original voice that references a couple of Williams' themes would be fine by me. Let's just see who they choose down the road.

I want don davis back, and this time use the TLW material instead of JP. I want to see some wariations on that.

Or well other talented composer doing that. GIacchino... :P

I think Ottman should score this film, he would use Williams' themes again. But a part of me wants Don Davis too.

:music:Jack and Isabelle (Theme from Jack the Giant Slayer)

I think part of me wonders though if this will be more of an action adventure film or a science fiction thriller? Especially since the novels lean toward the latter more. It depends exactly how different they want to go. And considering the director they chose... who knows? However the screenwriters did The Relic and Rise of the Planet of the Apes and those fall more into science fiction thriller territory. I'm hoping they reveal a general synopsis soon.

I think part of me wonders though if this will be more of an action adventure film or a science fiction thriller? Especially since the novels lean toward the latter more. It depends exactly how different they want to go. And considering the director they chose... who knows? However the screenwriters did The Relic and Rise of the Planet of the Apes and those fall more into science fiction thriller territory. I'm hoping they reveal a general synopsis soon.

I want an action adventure science-fiction thriller!

I just want to return to the same fictional universe. Beyond that, I don't really have any wishes in regards to story.

I could eat JURASSIC PARK for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

JURASSIC PARK 4-EVER!

In any case, we'll hear his themes. I, for one, am interested in hearing what other (talented?) composers would do with the material.

Karol

I'm glad Don Davis isn't likely to return. His arrangement of Williams' themes were okay in Jurassic Park 3, but the tempo of the theme reprisals were too fast and kinda flat. I don't know if it was the post-production schedule or something else, but I thought Davis' score was a missed opportunity.

I think we can rule out Michael Giacchino, he'll be working on Jupiter Ascending. I think we'll probably get someone like Brian Tyler or John Ottman who'll be happy to incorporate Williams' themes into the mix. I can't see someone like Alexandre Desplat or Alan Silvestri jumping into this one...

Dinosaur boy!

Interestingly, I have no particular interest in dinosaurs per se. Never have. Replace them with any other "monster" and I would still be happy. No, for me, it's more about the unique mood, the exotic locale, the action setpieces etc.