Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Like TLW, I think JP3 has a lot of cool scenes that make it worth it. Like when we hear the cell phone ringing and know the dinosaurs are near, or when the teradactyl (sp) comes into focus right in front of the camera.

We haven't had a good JP movie since the first one, but we've had plenty of good moments, and for that reason I would be excited for a fourth movie. I just hope they stick with animatronic dinos and don't try to upgrade to CGI. Even though it will be better than it was in 1993, it still isn't good enough to replace the real thing.

and no matter how good or bad the overall product the glass breaking sequence is wonderfully intense and memorable.

I'll give you that one. You won't hear me arguing that TLW lacks decent and even excellent action setpieces. And as you said, indy4, even the third film has its moments.

If they make a fourth one I hope it features aquatic dinosaurs. Imagine seeing this guy swimming towards you in 3D:

r169_457x256_942_Mosasaur_Reef_2d_illustration_photoshop_creature_dinosaur_squid_marine_dino_prehistoric_underwater_pi.jpg

not nearly as scary as a great white.

The game used the aquatic reptiles thing with great results:

[media=]

I don't see why they couldn't do exactly that for JPIV.

Exactly, that's what I said earlier! Fantastic scene in a beautiful game that took me right back (even though my gameplaying sucks....I'm not good at rapid button-pushing action games; I'm more of a point-and-click adventure guy).

That depends on what scares you.

A 56 foot long Mosasaur that must surface to breathe and would eat sharks for lunch is pretty scary.

I suppose. I don't want to be eaten at all but I'd rather be swallowed whole, without the shakin and the tenderizen than having chunks torn out.

By the way, they did go there in the abysmal third movie, remember? Eh, I can see why not. There is an unseen dinosaur in the water and the giant duck dinosaur swims. There's an entire forgettable lame action scene in a river with the duck attacking William H. Macy in his worst role of all time while they call the child watching Barney on the phone.

Duck dinosaur?

Man if ducks were like that i wouldnt go birdwathching to mashes ever!

Did anyone ever reveal what actually killed the guys on the off-shore boat in the beginning of JP3? It puzzles me every time I see it. And, why "duck" dinosaur"?

It's not a question of being able to swim. Most reptiles can and do swim. Crocs and gators, duh. Snakes, duh. Turtles, duh. Not all lizards live near water, but otherwise, duh. I'm sure that even the mightiest of tortoises could tread water if you got it into the water.

The question is whether a land-based (inasmuch as we know) reptile would willingly entire salt water in pursuit of prey.

• 2 months later...

I bet Spielberg had nothing to do with it.

God, those things look awful. How did they hope to get away with it?

Conceptually, it's not far off from Peter Benchley's novel "White Shark," which hoped to create a super-being by combining humans with animals, though in that case, the great white shark, and then the monster gets loose and great carnage ensues. Countless other sci-fi books and movies use similar plot devices to create their monsters. The classic The Island of Doctor Moreau comes to mind as the benchmark of the concept.

I would hope such a concept would stay far, far from the Jurassic Park license. Crichton used a radically new, for its time, idea to bring dinosaurs back to life -- DNA inside preserved mosquito blood -- and both the book and movie suceeded at making the pseudo-science or distant science fiction seem extremely plausible (at least to those who aren't up to their elbows all day in the subject matter), since at its heart, the story is a disaster and monster story rolled into one.

But this idea is too wacky to mix with the JP storyline. JP operates on the idea that missing dinosaur genetic code is augmented with frog DNA, but we don't get giant frog-dinosaur hybrids roaming around. We get dinosaurs. Granted, the first movie uses the idea that since frogs only see movement, so too would these cloned animals, but this trait is dropped in either the second book or third movie, I can't remember which. I just can't imagine that humans and these frog-dinosaur hybrids would be able to be combined, either genetically or via offspring from forced mating, and create beasts as shown. I would think humans would be a better genetic fit with the great apes, like to get the size, strength, and speed of a gorilla or chimpanzee, which are still in our same family. Not these cloned reptile hybrids from a different class altogether. The idea would shift JP from respectable science fiction into Saturday afternoon B-serial dreck like so many other sci-fi film stories. JP3 was definitely headed in that direction, this would kick down the door and pick curtains.

Thor doesn't realise just how close his childhood came to being raped: http://uk.ign.com/ar...human-dinosaurs

Yikes!

Could have been a fun film in itself, but I wouldn't see it in or as part of the JP universe. There are a gazillion other narrative threads that would be more apt.

JURASSIC PARK 4-EVER!!!

I would be interested in seeing this in a video game or another franchise, but definetly not Jurassic Park...

As far as I know, this version of the film got quite advanced in terms of production, but as soon as Spielberg saw the concept art, he threw the idea away inmediately.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone ever reveal what actually killed the guys on the off-shore boat in the beginning of JP3? It puzzles me every time I see it.

I thought the pterodactylons did it. Would make sense.

yeah the concept is curious but not for a JP film.

And certainly wouldn't be for a PJ film ;)

PJ for JP!

Oh the horror this would unload on this forum if Howard Shore did a Jurassic Park film ...

With no director or cast announced, or even a hint of the plot... just a date... it's either setting itself up for getting a new date later on, delaying it, or get scrapped entirely and back to the drawing board. I'm sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but a date is hardly anything to get excited about. I guess I truly won't believe it until they actually start shooting. Until then, they have been so wishy-washy about the whole thing that it's hard for me to take even this news seriously. Plus the fact that all we have is a date just solidifies the idea that the film will be made for all the wrong reasons: rushing to meet fan demand, and profit.

Sorry if that sounds like a downer. But we all have opinions, and that is mine. And I really do want to be proven wrong, honestly. So hope for the best.

I know you would think I of all people would be excited as hell. But I feel like I've been down this road before... and do NOT want to get my hopes up.

With no director or cast announced, or even a hint of the plot... just a date... it's either setting itself up for getting a new date later on, delaying it, or get scrapped entirely and back to the drawing board. I'm sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but a date is hardly anything to get excited about. I guess I truly won't believe it until they actually start shooting. Until then, they have been so wishy-washy about the whole thing that it's hard for me to take even this news seriously. Plus the fact that all we have is a date just solidifies the idea that the film will be made for all the wrong reasons: rushing to meet fan demand, and profit.

Sorry if that sounds like a downer. But we all have opinions, and that is mine. And I really do want to be proven wrong, honestly. So hope for the best.

I know you would think I of all people would be excited as hell. But I feel like I've been down this road before... and do NOT want to get my hopes up.

Same here. I need far more concrete confirmation. I'll believe it only when the wheels are in motion and a crew is set and actually FILMING!

Well done, Scallenger!! I thought I was the only one who thinks that this whole JP4 thing is a bit like "Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man", or worse..."Abott And Costello Meet The Wolf Man". The series has run its course, now let die. Come on, peeps, let's have some grown-up films for a change.

Yeah, I really hope, IF this follows through, that we go back to Nublar. Why? Because Nublar to me IS what makes Jurassic Park what it is. I want more about that place, like all the wonderful details in the book. Maybe a remake closer to the book would be more satisfying for someone like me. For those who have read the book, you know what I mean. It's a different animal almost entirely in a way.

Or, they should take a page from the people that did the TellTale game that came out last year. Sure, the playability itself and some story elements were funky, but the story of a side-along story occurring at the SAME TIME as the first film was something I enjoyed A LOT. It doesn't have to be the same kind of story, but something else could still be equally interesting like that, or moreso. I however doubt this is the route they would truly go, sadly, since they did already say it will indeed be a "sequel".

I would really like to see this happening.

Jurassic Park 4, human dinosaurs, Michael Bay and Steve Jablonsky.

Bay will be busy with shooting and preparing Transformers 4... so he's out.

I think Spielberg putting Robopocalypse on the back burner a few days ago, and for this movie to finally get a release date... it's no coincidence. Spielberg probably read the latest draft by Jaffa & Silver, loved it, and wanted to get a director attached ASAP before going back to redevelop his pet project.

Since Spielberg plans on redeveloping Robopocalypse by March (aka getting a new writer), he's likely vetting potential directors by now.

So I guess it should really be said again... other than Williams... who would OR should score this film if it truly materializes? It seems doubtful, unless Spielberg magically directs, that Williams would return. It also now seems doubtful Don Davis would return, since he has basically dropped from film scoring. It'll most likely be someone current.

• I think Giacchino would be a good candidate. Not the best, but he has toyed in the Jurassic Park world with his Lost World Playstation game score, as well as the PC game Chaos Island: Jurassic Park. Given his current popularity it wouldn't be a huge stretch for him to be involved, especially if he has interest to be in the franchise again.

• Horner could potentially be another good choice. He has been picked up by Amblin/Universal on many occasions, most obviously with The Land Before Time, and even a few years back with Spiderwick Chronicles. Some of his music even resembles the lush sensibilities of Jurassic Park, especially if you listen to something like Willow. And hey, we could most likely add yet another use of the "danger motif", this time with dinosaurs!

• James Newton Howard is also popular these days, and could definitely be considered given his wide variety of scoring subjects, including two cases of films with dinosaurs already (Disney's Dinosaur and King Kong). He also would probably be the frontrunner in case they have to rush the film to meet it's supposed release date, which we all know he is more than capable of doing. ;)

Those are the top 3 that I think would/should be considered. But honorable mentions that I would otherwise LOVE to see would be Elliot Goldenthal (could you IMAGINE?!), John Debney (this guy needs another big hit, and just with Cutthroat Island alone we know he can churn out great stuff), David Arnold (need I say more?), and Edward Schearmur (who I have desperately wanted a big score from him since Sky Captain).

I know this particular topic is a bit silly with nothing more than release date info, but I thought I would bring it up again now. ;)