Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

I totally remember the James Horner rumors for Jurassic Park 3. I would have been happy if they had let him tackle Jurassic World over Giacchino. I'm sure he would have come up with a very interesting score, no doubt. In the case of JP3 though, Davis' "family" music does sound like something that would be right at home in a Horner score. Wasn't Horner a mentor for Davis? So I guess in a way his musical spirit kind of permeates the score. The playful music always made me think of Horner as well.

I've been listening to all four JP scores lately... and I really like davis work. But it was so wrong after TLW, and Sorna setting. JPIII score would have fit great in Jurassic World too. But well it was nice to return to the old themes. I know i was bugged by the absence of them in TLW...

One thing both Davis and Giacchino did not grasp about John Williams is the boom-tzz. Not a single one in their scores (well i havent listened to giacchino's full, just the ost..but i doubt it...).

Stephan Schuzte used them amazingly good in his game score.

It's great how he uses them to 'picture' thunders.

Jurassic World is lacking more then boom-tzzz in my opinion.

The themes are the usual examples of Gia blandness. They are at best "ok". And the music in general seems devoid of variation, dynamics, and any real complexity. It seems to be constantly there, without actually making much of an impact.

In the film is does what it does and it works fairly well, but on it's own it makes little impact. Apart from the fact that after about 50 minutes I grew tired with it.

There might be a decent 45 minute CD in there somewhere. but in it's currect form it's just too much loud blandness.

Also, dropping a few seconds of silence in between tracks would be nice!

Gia's suspense music was decent. But nowhere near the really properly dark stuff of TLW or JP.

What is these days?

It wasn't really my point.

Karol

Regardless, I would hardly say suspense music is where Gia's strengths lie.

I just can't find any reason to listen to Jurassic World over either of John William's scores or even the Don Davis one.

Like I can't see any reason to listen to his Trek scores over the many other I have access too. I guess thats my ultimate beef with Gia. There's no hook, no "unique selling point", no real reason to bother (despite trying over and over again for over a decade now)

Regardless, I would hardly say suspense music is where Gia's strengths lie.

To each his own, I guess. I always enjoyed it - in older games, Lost and big films. Tracks like Creature Comforts and Aftermath Class are my favourite pieces in Super 8, for example.

Karol

Davis' "family" music does sound like something that would be right at home in a Horner score

The family theme really sounds like a reworking of JP main theme bridge material. Example of the part i mean : End credits (from JP) 0:35-0:55.

Done in the same way he reworked the arrival to the visitor centre

Stefan, we know how you feel. Dont repeat yourself so many times :P

If people like Jason are allowed to wax lyrical every time then I'm allowed to give my opinion.

And this is the first time i critiqued the Jurassic World score on this forum.

i was talking about your general opinion about giacchino. you and others here wont like a single note of him, ever. not even if he scored the second coming...

If people like Jason are allowed to wax lyrical every time then I'm allowed to give my opinion.

And this is the first time i critiqued the Jurassic World score on this forum.

i was talking about your general opinion about giacchino. you and others here wont like a single note of him, ever. not even if he scored the second coming...

I never said I didn't like a single note. Stop putting words in my mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. I rewatched the film today in 2D. The effect look much better now. The T-rex was not that weird. This film look really good in 2D. no noticeable 3d gimmicks.

About the score, it sound better mixed in the film than on CD, after weeks listening to the CD (well mp3s... since i just ordered the CD - finaly was back in stock at amazon.com) the film sounds much more clear.

There are microedits in the score...or at least inserts or small cues in between some cues on the OST.

There is another TLW game quote when they open the raptor gates and they get out of their cages.

Welcome to jurassic world is missing an intro with the Giacchino theme. Also there is some overdubs as in other giacchino scores.

All the source cues can be listened clearly in the film so it wont be a problem to check it's "chronologisism"

All the source cues can be listened clearly in the film so it wont be a problem to check it's "chronologisism"

Already been done. ;)

So basically, it should go like this?

01. Bury The Hatchling

02. The Family That Strays Together

03. Welcome To Jurassic World

22. The Hammond Lab Overture

04. As The Jurassic World Turns (first 2 minutes or so)

21. It's A Small Jurassic World

04. As The Jurassic World Turns (rest of the track)

05. Clearly His First Rodeo

06. Owen You Nothing

07. Indominus Wrecks

23. The Brockway Monorail

24. Sunrise O'er Jurassic World

08. Gyrosphere Of Influence

etc.

Some shots are clearly covered with CGI in the final film. It doesn't help that the blue tint makes the CGI stand out more in certain shots.

Im fine with CGI enhaced animatronics. CGI eyes are going to look more real.

Yeah, the old JP films had great eyes. But dinos never had third eyelids as they were meant to have.

Because we know exactly how prehistoric animals looked.

Using common sense, if amphibians, most reptiles, birds and most mammals have a third eyelid. (the residual one we have is the pink spot where tears drop from), dinosaurs had to have it. And probably more similar to a bird's than any other else.

Im fine with CGI enhaced animatronics. CGI eyes are going to look more real.

Yeah, the old JP films had great eyes. But dinos never had third eyelids as they were meant to have.

You are wrong. :P The raptors already had third eyelids in JP. And the Tirannosaur does not have it in JW.

Duh.

I just thought that Owen and co could have used a more developed raptor nasalvocal chamber model to communicate with them (after doing research and knowing their 'language'.... would have been a nice nod to JPIII...

So what happened with this?:

http://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/514123331709448192/photo/1

I suppose that in some deleted scene either the kids or owen-claire passed by Nedry's death site while traveling to the old visitor center. (in an interview Trevorow said he deleted some walking short scenes because spielberg said to him while editing the film that he didnt had to show everything, that the audience knows they can go from A to C without being shown B...)

Yeah I hope we see it in the deleted scenes. They wouldn't have made that and used it as a Twitter pic just to tease us. I'm sure we'll see it since the director basically revealed the BluRay will have deleted scenes, like the one of Claire smearing the dino poop over her.