Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

If I wanted to make a really good film, it certainly wouldn't cost 200 million. Chances of being creative in such situation would be second to none.

And why on Earth would it be a third sequel? In a franchise with limited potential? Come on.

Karol

Yes, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I somehow doubt Colin Trevorrow thought he's making a great piece of cinema. He was having fun, playing with Spielberg's toys. And did a solid job. That's it.

Karol

If I wanted to make a really good film, it certainly wouldn't cost 200 million. Chances of being creative in such situation would be second to none.

And why on Earth would it be a third sequel? In a franchise with limited potential? Come on.

Karol

Nah, Ken Branagh and Joss Whedon had already made their mark and were well established by the time they ventured into the Marvel machine, Croc. You're being naive.

Karol

Nah, Ken Branagh and Joss Whedon had already made their mark and were well established by the time they ventured into the Marvel machine, Croc. You're being naive.

Whedon only had one movie to his name though.

And the current crop of Marvel film, everything after The Avengers used directors that weren't really notable yet.

The sole exception might be Shane Black for Iron Man 3, and I suspect Downey Jr had something to do with that.

Thor 2 was done by a director of GOT, Cap 2 by the Russo bros, who hadn't made anything major. GOTG by James Gunn (who??). Ant-man by....uuuhhhh

This stuff is considered a necessary evil by all accounts,.

I think a lot of filmmakers, both young and seasoned, want to try making a blockbusters film at some point in their careers. Paul Thomas Anderson admires the mechanical precision Die Hard, Bergman loved Ghostbusters. And many of even attempt that. But the reasoning is either this professional curiosity or need to finance their pet projects. Not artistic need. That's a fact.

Karol

This stuff is considered a necessary evil by all accounts,.

Of course, but you'd still do your damn best with your big break. A "Run-of-the-mill" ethic implies a degree dismissiveness for ones own efforts, which I don't accept.

No, you don't understand. I think he primarily wants to make it entertaining and successful. And to satisfy the studio.

Which is why he can't go crazy with it.

And to make an entertaining film is hard enough job.

Karol

Run-off-the-mill in this case means that while the action is competently done, it doesn't have the suspense or outright spectacle of the two Spielberg efforts.

It doesn't say anything about how invested the director was in the project.

Yes, Jurassic World is run of the mill film. But at least it knows it is.

Karol

I dunno, I read that to mean the director knew he was making something trashy and so enabled autopilot mode.

And the fact that he must have realised how limited his options were in terms of story. Essentially film goes through same (similar) beats as the original. But it also comments and laughs at itself. There are only few new elements in there and they are what turned off many people after watching trailers. One of those things is the new enhanced dinosaur. Remember the fan outrage when the trailer was released? Well, there is a scene in which one characters expresses exactly that. The film is very self-aware in that sense. That's what I meant.

And what Stefan said, too.

Karol

Semantics, again. 'Run-of-the-mill' can mean the finished product or the director's lack of attachment during making it, though i guess the daily grind of making a behemoth this size makes it almost impossible to slump it like, say, a tired Howard Hawks on RIO LOBO, a tired movie in a then-tired genre. I think if anything a relatively young guy like Trevorrow has to watch out not being crushed by the size and the expectations of the movie.

But the relative truth of the matter is that it simply is impossible to serve a 'fresh' entry with the written-in-stone laws of what constitutes a big summer blockbuster. I always imagined a taut little thriller of a few men being trapped by nasty jurassic dangers would work as a blunt and effective genre piece but with all that idiotic Sea World stuff and this gyrosphere thing - i mean seriously.

I wrote the other day a few pages of notes starting from the Jurassic World trailers and then ended up with something different that I realized wouldn't have ever been greenlighted.

On the other hand, there's Mad Max 4.

And the fact that he must have realised how limited his options were in terms of story. Essentially film goes through same (similar) beats as the original. But it also comments and laughs at itself. There are only few new elements in there and they are what turned off many people after watching trailers. One of those things is the new enhanced dinosaur. Remember the fan outrage when the trailer was released? Well, there is a scene in which one characters expresses exactly that. The film is very self-aware in that sense. That's what I meant.

Karol

I don't understand. Why do you prefer JP4 over JP2 again?

The action in JP4 has a decidedly very contemporary Marvel feel, especially the finale battle where it's basically the same stuff we've seen in countless movies over the past few summers. It's Iron Man vs Hulk, Thor vs Iron Man, Superman vs Zod (2013), but with the heroes/villains replaced by dinosaurs. You have the exact same mechanics - buildings were destroyed, explosions galore, certain heroes/dinosaurs teaming up against the baddie, etc. Compare that to the skill required to pull of the action sequences in JP2 and it becomes clear that, judged as an action movie about dinosaurs, JP2 wipes the floor with this.

Karol

I don't understand. Why do you prefer JP4 over JP2 again?

The action in JP4 has a decidedly very contemporary Marvel feel, especially the finale battle where it's basically the same stuff we've seen in countless movies over the past few summers. It's Iron Man vs Hulk, Thor vs Iron Man, Superman vs Zod (2013), but with the heroes/villains replaced by dinosaurs. You have the exact same mechanics - buildings were destroyed, explosions galore, certain heroes/dinosaurs teaming up against the baddie, etc. Compare that to the skill required to pull of the action sequences in JP2 and it becomes clear that, judged as an action movie about dinosaurs, JP2 wiped the floor with this.

Yes, but Spielberg can direct a film like this, or its action, in his sleep. It doesn't change the fact The Lost World was simply boring, it certainly didn't entertain me as a 12 year old. Even less so these days.

The reason why I enjoy the new one more (or many Marvel films, for that matter) is because I expect less of them.

Karol

With the exception of some excellent action and suspense scenes and a few moments of intersting visual eye csndy there really isn't much to TLW.

The story doesn't hold together and doesn't really go anywhere. Its full of plot holes and convenient plotting and two of the main character just dissapear for the final act.

There isn't much to Jurassic World, period.

I'd say the trailers, which were subject to derision by many, are a fair representation of the final movie.

It never bothered me. The less-than-ambitious JURASSIC PARK really wasn't that brilliant a template, stubborn fanboy support notwithstanding. If you take away the obvious cinematic sequences (first dino sighting, t-rex attack, raptor attack) it's a perfunctory piece of moviemaking. If anything, the prolonged action sequences of TLW play one-upmanship with the less developed stuff of JP.

My Norwegian review is here:

http://montages.no/2015/06/energisk-men-vimsete-jurassic-world/

You obviously have to open the link in Google Translate to get the gist of it, at the very least.

Unfortunately, not hungry been intrusive enough to overlook some disturbing signals

Jurassic World resembles one single long action wave where stomach sucked is top priority.

I agree.

I actually rather enjoyed the scene where Claire's assistant got snatched by a pterodactyl, tossed around a few times like a rag doll and then got eaten whole by the Shamu-saurus!

That's quite Spielbergian in its exhilarating nastiness, like the goat in JP or the Gennero being eating while sitting on the toilet.

The scene as it is in the film is so much more impactful than in the trailer. Looking back on the series, the goat, Gennaro and Eddie Carr had it easy. They died quickly, while that poor woman was swallowed whole!

Gennaro had it great. He was the first human ever eaten by a dinosaur. Eddie had the greatest Dino death.

Gennaro had it great. He was the first human ever eaten by a dinosaur.

Nope. The guy at the very beginning of the movie got (at least half) eaten first and no one even found out about it. There could have been deaths before that too.

even the T Rex knew the only good lawyers are dead lawyers..

This is a fun flick! It has some personality, good sense of humor, doesn't waste much time, I liked hanging around the main characters, happy to see them get into trouble and glad to know they probably weren't gonna die (as opposed to not giving a shit either way), action sequences felt like someone was using a little imagination, I felt bad for one or two character deaths, enjoyed one or two others. Yeah, it's fairly perfunctory summer moviemaking in terms of style and approach, but it followed the right rules and a good number of scenes had some bit of detail to make it better than average.

Here's a backhanded compliment: I generally got the feeling that there were real people putting forth some actual thought and effort into this thing and I don't pity anyone involved in the making of it...that's the least I ask of any movie and I get that feeling less than I should so I'll take it. :P

Also I do think it's the best sequel. Maybe I'll have to give The Lost World another look with everyone suddenly praising it to high heavens here but it's one of the few Spielberg movies to bore me despite a few cool moments. And III is awful.

Still hopeful that this game might include unreleased music from any of the four scores

In-game Music Credits:

"Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

"T-Rex & Finale" from Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

"Malcom's Journey" from Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

Score by Chad Seiter

Score Produced by Michael Giacchino

Original Music by Rob Westwood

The game also includes uncredited music from "Welcome to Jurassic Park" from Jurassic Park.

performed by john williams? are those piano renditions? :P

BTW, it would be great if they made a sequel...as i mentioned before, the military, maybe allied with biosyn, go to abandoned nublar to get dinosaur eggs. (having the plot as similar as Chrichton novel as possible)

It should be called:

THE LOST PARK

JURASSIC WORLD

:P

Was it only me the one who was bothered with how fast the Stego could run? I don't think we'd ever seen a Stego run like that before, at least in my mind I don't think it could have even been possible.