Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Just came back from the film. Don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything. However, I can say that the opening of the film was the highlight for me. There's a whole 'getting to see the island' sequence that is carefully edited to the hits of John Williams' theme. Wow, cool. It also puts into the relieff that dreary score by Giacchino, which once again comes off as a sequence of random chords. I seriously can't see what you guys see in him. Baffled.

As for the film itself, let me just say it's better than the trailer suggests, but also with LOADS of warts, so it wasn't completely off. I'll refrain from spoiling anything at this point.

There are a few more of Williams' secondary themes too -- like the 'mystery chords' on horn, some tribal percussion that sounds kinda like THE LOST WORLD and the "Petticoat Lane" theme (I think) for a particular reference scene.

How would you rank the films at this point?

I thought that was scallenger. Also, a fan of a series not liking an entry never means anything.

You would be correct. ;)

To prove it, for anyone who has ever liked my avatar, take a look at this brand-new interview I just did with the illustrator of it. Link below the image:

stutzman.png

http://www.trescom.org/2015/06/09/mark-stutzman-interview/

Thor is the ultimate Jurassic Park fan, so him saying this movie is bad should be a very strong sign to stay away!

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Thor went into the movie with lofty expectations. As somebody who really only holds the first movie in high regards, my expectations are low enough that I'm sure I'll just enjoy the roller coaster ride of it all. I'm not expecting anything besides another TLW or JPIII - a fun, sometimes scary dinosaur romp.

I'm not going to pretend I'm the biggest JP fan in here although it IS my favourite movie of all time (in competition with the first two ALIEN films), and I've seen it at least 50-60 times. But I'm guessing there are people here who have me beat by a landslide.

JP4 delivers on a few points, but sadly fails on a few more. Currently trying to write a review, but it's tricky with these films that are neither great nor bad.

I thought that was scallenger. Also, a fan of a series not liking an entry never means anything.

You would be correct. ;)

How you dare! :stick:

Just bought the Papo dilophosaur... (i had to have all Papo JP dinos..even if this one is not film accurate...

Sounds like the film is trending moderate-very positive in the reviews I've read so far. Oddly, many of the sharp criticisms from one review are otherwise ignored or contradicted in the other (such as characters, writing, the kids' storyline being useless, etc.) All reviews laud Treverrow's handling of the action scenes, and the absolute chaos that unfolds in the second half (apparently very intense and too frightening for children).

Coming Soon - 9/10

SlashFilm - 6/10

SlashFilm Review 2 - 8/10

"Jurassic World is the best Jurassic Park movie since Steven Spielberg‘s original 1993 film."

"Pratt shows he can handle a different range with this role. Seeing him as Owen also has me much more excited about the prospect of him taking over the Indiana Jones franchise."

"There are at least two, but probably more like four, set pieces in Jurassic World that had me glued to my seat with excitement, tension and wonder."

I like this:

"What surprises me is how much of the film is not shown or hinted at in the trailers. There are whole action sequences omitted and protected from any of the marketing I’ve seen thus far. There are a couple unanticipated major plot turns which I did not expect and thoroughly enjoyed."

What surprises me is how much of the film is not shown or hinted at in the trailers. There are whole action sequences omitted and protected from any of the marketing I’ve seen thus far.

That's pretty amazing in this day and age!

All that matters is Rotten Tomatoes!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world/

67%! Ouch!

All that matters is one's own opinion of the film.

I note that half of those negative reviews clearly don't understand what the film is trying to be. Calling a Jurassic Park film overstuffed with too much loud action is like complaining a Star Wars movie spends too much time in outer space. Even from all the negative reviews it's quite clear Treverrow has crafted a highly energised, fun movie. Some critics wouldn't understand the meaning of the word.

You would be correct. ;)

To prove it, for anyone who has ever liked my avatar, take a look at this brand-new interview I just did with the illustrator of it. Link below the image:

I think this guy also did the Batman Returns cups (from perhaps the most infamous fast food promotion of all time), which I loved. I used those and the old Burger King Return of the Jedi glasses all the time as a kid.

Some of the characters come to predictable ends, but we won’t spoil the film by going into any details. What we do get are some terrifyingly inventive action set-pieces that are both thrilling and elaborate in detail. Purists will have little to complain about once they see the film. The initial fears, shared by many it has to be said, are quickly dispelled by the movie.

Joining Mad Max: Fury Road as one of the best blockbusters of the last few years, Jurassic World also proves how foolhardy it is to judge a movie by its trailer. This is an absolutely rollicking ride, crammed with big ideas and unforgettable moments.

http://www.heyuguys.com/jurassic-world-review/

I can see why some pompous critics are badmouthing the film if the characters are cliched and the dialogue a bit flat, but even the negative reviews are praising the film for the fun it delivers in spades. The action sounds kinetic and creative, and that's exactly what I want from a film about dinosaurs on the rampage.

If critics are expecting Gone With The Wind they're looking in the wrong genre.

‘Jurassic World’s Global Explosion: Dino Pic Could Hatch $400M-Plus
Domestic B.O. opening projections for Jurassic World are well over $100M, with estimates ranging from $110M-$140M.
Overseas, very conservative estimates are pegging $220M-$260M — although we’ve certainly heard that $300M is in the ballpark.
In the last 24 hours, Movietickets.com is reporting that 52% of all tickets sold by the site are for JW. The Hollywood press were applauding heavily after last night’s press screening at the AMC Century City, and word on the street is theater owners have just been ecstatic after exhib screenings. The feeling is that JW is the best of the four.
Really good, balanced, relatively spoiler-free review from a huge Jurassic Park fan. Addresses the things that don't work and praises all the good stuff (of which there is plenty).

All that matters is Rotten Tomatoes!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world/

67%! Ouch!

It's at 68% now, so there're about twice as many good reviews as bad and is currently certified "fresh" (I feel like an idiot just typing that out). Did you think this was going to pull in unbelievably positive reviews?

That score is not really bad. Could have been a lot worse. Of course, most of he US reviews will come out tomorrow, so there's still plenty of time to see which way the percentage leans.

It's at 68% now, so there're about twice as many good reviews as bad and is currently certified "fresh" (I feel like an idiot just typing that out). Did you think this was going to pull in unbelievably positive reviews?

Dude, I don't care about Rotten Tomatoes.

You would be correct. ;)

I think this guy also did the Batman Returns cups (from perhaps the most infamous fast food promotion of all time), which I loved. I used those and the old Burger King Return of the Jedi glasses all the time as a kid.

You are right, that's him! :D I loved those too. Definitely a part of my childhood.

Dude, I don't care about Rotten Tomatoes.

swb239dc.jpg

Was the The Lost World piece completely random or did it serve some purpose?

In the context of the climatic scene it plays in (read it but not spoiling), it's intentional. Like how Williams used the same motif twice: first when the survivors make it to the helicopter for when Sarah loads up the tranquilizer gun.

As I'm currently writing my own review, I discover there's a lot of negative things I have to get off my chest first (basically because the ideology that drives this film is rather different from the previous three), but when taken on its own terms, there are some neat things in the film. Thank God it's much better than the trailers, at least.

It's almost as if you're another critic who hangs fire with final thought's when submitting a review until other sources have come together to form a consensus. Because originally you were decidedly negative about the movie, but since the more positive reviews have come out you seem to be reevaluating.

A series of events conspired against me seeing this tonight, but I will be seeing it tomorrow night in IMAX3D instead. Yay?

leeallen01 and crocodile, will you write up thoughts about the film here?

Anyone else seen it yet?

A series of events conspired against me seeing this tonight, but I will be seeing it tomorrow night in IMAX3D instead. Yay?

leeallen01 and crocodile, will you write up thoughts about the film here?

Anyone else seen it yet?

I just wrote a longer review that will be posted on Assorted Buffery blog. Just finished it, took me 90 minutes. Now it's up to Becky (who runs the blog) to put it up.

When it's up, I'll share a link. :)

Karol

One thing I'm going to say about my cinema exprience. One bloke next to me was a bit tipsy and was talking all the way through to his girlfriend. He couldn't follow the plot, obviously. Towards the end, he started texting and watching stuff on his phone (with sound off, thank god).

Would have punched him but his was twice my size.

Karol