Williams orchestrating The Force Awakens himself?

mstrox

Exactly.

The thing about Williams is that when he sketches, everything is already so complete, that it's basically just a copyist job of putting the music on bigger paper. There's no real "orchestration" that needs to be done.

Conrad Pope has said something to this effect.

;)

Exactly.

The thing about Williams is that when he sketches, everything is already so complete, that it's basically just a copyist job of putting the music on bigger paper. There's no real "orchestration" that needs to be done.

Conrad Pope has said something to this effect.

;)

A few years back I exchanged a few messages with Conrad Pope and that's exactly what he said. And for owning quite a few sketches myself it definitely looks like everything is there. In a ESB cue he actually specifies the number of horns playing a passage, in this case it was 6. That's pretty detailed. I could probably orchestrate his sketches if I could only read his damn handwriting

"I consider my own efforts in film composition to be serious, and I encourage other composers to take the medium seriously."

If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

It's mystifying why they call it orchestration when as Conrad Pope has said it's a 2% job - The sketch usually specifies string groups. The more basic the sketch is the more the orchestrator can contribute.

It's mystifying why they call it orchestration when as Conrad Pope has said it's a 2% job - The sketch usually specifies string groups. The more basic the sketch is the more the orchestrator can contribute.

Sometimes it's a 200% job where the composer asks the orchestrator to create music where none existed before ("the director doesn't like what I have for this cue, can you come up with something different that's better?") which isn't orchestrating but is composing. I guess between those jobs and orchestrating for JW, it averages out but the more experienced and trained you are, the less need you'll have for the services of the orchestrator as anything other than a second set of eyes and someone to flush out the short hand into a full score that the copyist can then take and create parts from.

• 2 weeks later...

Other Hollywood orchestrators have mentioned it, too, although they rarely cite specific composers' names (for obvious reasons). Film score orchestration has always encompassed a wide variety of approaches, with the work Williams' orchestrators do sitting at one end of the spectrum.

• 2 months later...

What was the question?

Lol well Jay moved it here, but I asked because BB mentioned Pope in the other thread, and then I couldn't remember where this ended up, whether Williams was just doing it himself or if Pope or whoever else were assisting as usual. Alexander mentioned that he asked Pope who told him he wasn't asked back so I guess that's that?

Right, I assumed he was joking but I just meant that it reminded me I couldn't actually remember where this left off :P

So are we just assuming that FSM post was inaccurate then?

We don't REALLY know anything.

What the likely scenario is: Pope is the CREDITED orchestrator for SW7, but Williams' sketches are 100% detailed for this score, so he literally provides no orchestration at all, he's just "copying" up from sketch to full.