BloodBoal

True! :o

It would probably be scored by Ramin Djawadi using strings and percussion plus synths and trombones. :(

The extended editions for the previous films added some nice things, also from the book, that they knew people wanted more of, like moments between Elrond and Bilbo, or Gandalf introducing the company to Beorn.

This, however, adds nothing but silly CGI extravaganzas.

Yeah it adds so little of genuine content. It is all PJs action gags. And they even went and cut the funeral scene with Gandalf's eulogy short, which was a highlight that was shown in the documentaries. PJ pretty much dropped the ball with the final film altogether.

The dropped scenes from the appendices sound far better than the actual film. Especially Gandalf following Sauron to the sea of Rhune sounded good.

The extended editions for the previous films added some nice things, also from the book, that they knew people wanted more of, like moments between Elrond and Bilbo, or Gandalf introducing the company to Beorn.

Yeah it adds so little of genuine content. It is all PJs action gags. And they even went and cut the funeral scene with Gandalf's eulogy short, which was a highlight that was shown in the documentaries. PJ pretty much dropped the ball with the final film altogether.

The dropped scenes from the appendices sound far better than the actual film. Especially Gandalf following Sauron to the sea of Rhune sounded good.

OK now you are pulling my leg Georg. That was among the most non-sensical things they came up with. Absolutely ridiculous.

As I said, if they were going to include that, they should have had Saruman do it instead. Gandalf seems in no fit state, and it would give Saruman something meaningful to do. They could even tie some kind of palantir acquisition into it if they so wished.

As I said, if they were going to include that, they should have had Saruman do it instead. Gandalf seems in no fit state, and it would give Saruman something meaningful to do. They could even tie some kind of palantir acquisition into it if they so wished.

Why add things to a plot thread that has already been exhausted, and being forced to go entirely beyond Tolkien to invent more and more stuff to accomodate the padding to the story. I have to hand it to the film makers on this point. They had Saruman just say "Leave Sauron to me!" and be done with it and not try to milk it any further.

The Palantír is in Orthanc, needs no acquiring or explanation. No need for separate Sauron hunting scenes and they would take too much time and over-simplify the whole process anyway. The evil retreats and returns in LotR. Good enough for me.

I would always go toward the original text itself not away from it and try to explain it as "the novel is not cinematic enough on this point. It's death on film!".

I honestly think a shot from the Riddles In The Dark sequence would stand out like a sore thumb in the FOTR prologue. Someone already posted an edit on Youtube doing just that (I think it was previously posted on JWFAN), and to me, it just doesn't work.

I was surprised how well the shot fits in (perhaps they graded the hobbit one to look more in line with LOTR). Obviously it would be idea just to replace the shot of Bilbo picking up the ring, and not that random montage of bits of the scene. They also seemed to bit shots from both versions of the sequence.

I don't really see the need to change FOTR though, it's a pretty good film as it is...

Yeah i also think the change is not noticeable..

Gollum must be changed too by the way...

They tried to make him look a bit like the FotR prologue version in AUJ by having his eyes have that eerie reflective sheen to them. I actually liked those moments in AUJ as it resembles the Gollum I always imagined, with eyes like that of a blind fish.

Blind fish? Those would have atrophied eyes...

Gollum's are just like the eyes of any animal seen in the night when light with a focal light....

I forget I have to be very specific with you Mañuel. I meant those deep sea fish that have those eerie whitish eyes where you can't almost tell the pupils from the rest of the eye. Not blind no. But in those shots I mentioned Gollum for a moment looks like that with that pale sheen and I wish his eyes would have looked like that all the time, pale, the pupils almost difficult to discern from the iris. Something along these lines (whether or not it is an effect of the light):

image25-e1423457361220.jpg

As I said, if they were going to include that, they should have had Saruman do it instead. Gandalf seems in no fit state

Really? He seemed in pretty good shape to me when he left Dol Guldur with Radgy, with his hat and sword magically reappearing out of nowhere, and all excited to ride a horse to go to Erebor.

"Continuity be damned!" as PJ likes to say.

But you get what I am driving at? But of course it would not have been so pitiable and disarming as those giant blue eyes.

mcbride.jpg

As I said, if they were going to include that, they should have had Saruman do it instead. Gandalf seems in no fit state

Really? He seemed in pretty good shape to me when he left Dol Guldur with Radgy, with his hat and sword magically reappearing out of nowhere, and all excited to ride a horse to go to Erebor.

This is in my alternate version, where Gandalf stays for a few days in Rhosgobel to recuperate while Radagast makes him a new hat.

This is in my alternate version, where Gandalf stays for a few days in Rhosgobel to recuperate while Radagast makes him a new hat.

And during that time Sebastian, the hedgehog, with his family fetches Glamdring from Dol Guldur. It all fits together like an intricate web. Everything has a meaning.

I still think we'll see more movies set in PJ's Middle-earth before we see any new adaptations (or rather reboots). They're probably hoping Christopher Tolkien passes (touch wood he has a good time longer left yet, but you know how cynical these Hollywood studios can be) so they can wrangle the rights to further material. In ten years time I imagine they might begin to think about rebooting the whole thing.

I think we'll see a film bridging the gap between TH and LotR and be made up of scraps from the Appendices and mostly invented material. Shadow of Morder type stuff. Reckon we're 2-3 years away from an announcement.

Yea, that's better but not ideal.

Watching that scene again, I don't understand why PJ thought it should be axed from the theatrical cut. Really, this is the version that should have been in the TC, with the proper full version originally intended in the EE.

Adding that McKellen speech improved it already but it still could be better. I don't mean they have to wallow in it forever but as an ending to Thorin's story it feels severely shortened in EE.

OK now you are pulling my leg Georg. That was among the most non-sensical things they came up with. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think so. With all the moronic stuff Jackson ended up including, showing us a new location within the context of Gandalf chasing Sauron sound good to me. I also loved the inclusion of Gundabad, if it didn't descend into a corny plot about Legolas' mother.

I don't think so. With all the moronic stuff Jackson ended up including, showing us a new location within the context of Gandalf chasing Sauron sound good to me. I also loved the inclusion of Gundabad, if it didn't descend into a corny plot about Legolas' mother.

It would have been extremely futile to show the Sea of Rhûn just to show it. The way they wanted to do it petered out (pun intended) very unsatisfyingly without any meaning to the plot or Gandalf's character.

Again what would have been the purpose? Does it serve anything but giving a small titillating moment that doesn't lead to anything?

It could have been used to set up his corruption but yeah, you're right. Not really needed. Actually, it probably works best the way it is now.

Scope to explore in the next movie ?

Again what would have been the purpose? Does it serve anything but giving a small titillating moment that doesn't lead to anything?

The LotR EEs are full of these things.

Seeing the Easterlings in TTT never led to anything (in respect to them). Yes I'm still pissed off about that. And yes I know there are blink and you'll miss it shots of them charging in, they don't count.

They're a bit more than blink and you'll miss them.

I always wondered why they weren't at Pellenor. Actually, why weren't they?!?!

Aren't the mumakil part of the easterling armies?

BTW the ROTK game was full of them at the pelenor's and black gate everywhere.

They're a bit more than blink and you'll miss them.

I always wondered why they weren't at Pellenor. Actually, why weren't they?!?!

BTW the ROTK game was full of them at the pelenor's and black gate everywhere.

No, they're Southrons.

Yes, they were all over those levels!

When the Gondorians clash with the forces of Mordor after the trolls enter the gate - watch very closely, and you'll see Easterlings charging in (along with a stray Warg). That's about the height of their presence in ROTK. It's nothing short of disgraceful. They had this badass set-up in TTT and then nothing! Meanwhile, the Haradrim get a prominent role in both films, and for the best part they kind of look like shitter Easterlings with less armour (except for that Mumakil commander with the horn - he was a cool motherfucker).

They should have come in on their own after the trolls and had a decent fight with the Gondorians at the gate. At the very least.

That's what I always thought. Isn't there a shot of them laid under a voice-over by Gandalf about the armies coming to Gondor?

"Legions of Haradrim from the South" -> Southrons

The easterlings are from Rhûn.

Which actually means the East, not only the area around or about the Sea of Rhûn. There were vast lands beyond the edge of the map to the east of Mordor. And yes Mûmakil were part of the Haradrim armies from the deepest South Lands of Middle-earth.

So many members here pretending to be Tolkien fans, and yet incapable of telling the difference between Easterlings and Haradrims! It's sad, really!

(except for that Mumakil commander with the horn - he was a cool motherfucker).

That guys was BADASS! A personal favourite of mine!

Shane Rangi, one of the stunt guys who also worked on the Hobbit.

It is kind of sad and nerdy that I know his name.

Oh did you know that Mana Davis was the Thorin stunt double in DoS and BotFA?

Seeing the Easterlings in TTT never led to anything (in respect to them). Yes I'm still pissed off about that. And yes I know there are blink and you'll miss it shots of them charging in, they don't count.

Charging in where?

13283_orig.jpg

13284_orig.jpg

13282_orig.jpg

(except for that Mumakil commander with the horn - he was a cool motherfucker).

That guys was BADASS! A personal favourite of mine!

You are a man of fine taste sir. He's just badass personified! And I love the relish he was taking in murdering all these poor horses and riders. Rangi did a great job there in a relatively small role.

Oh did you know that Mana Davis was the Thorin stunt double in DoS and BotFA?

That, I didn't know. I guess you're sadder and nerdier than me!

gandalf-tolkien-lotr-funny-facebook-cove