BloodBoal

Well when I get meself a Blu-ray player in some form, an update is of course required but I am not going to update hardware at this very moment for these movies Jay.

I agree. Betamax is more than enough.

Quite. But I prefer printed page with words and pictures on it.

I agree.

BloodBoal - who just got his Betamax copy of the BOFA EE

Did it tranfer well from Blu-ray? Grainy enough for you?

The bloom is gone! It looks beautiful! All the CG look so real now!

Ah the old formats. Brings back the movie magic.

Well I watched the Thranduil document. That silly Aragorn bit at the end of the movie is basically Philippa Boyens writing the stuff for a laugh and PJ and Fran loved it so it went into the film. :pat:

One thing that strikes me as frustrating is that they talk about a whole lot of backstory, motivation and character arc but only fraction of that comes out in the final film. So much of their waxing poetic about Thranduil's change of heart is not in the film as far as I can see, not so that it is communicated with clarity to the audience. You are expecting people to read enormous amount of stuff between the lines so to speak.

The EE looked better than the TC somehow, but yes, the films got worse look-wise as they went on. They started using more and more bloom.

Both SFX and actor!

Quite right! Bloom brought the Hobbit its doom!

I have been watching the documentaries and I have to say these are always well done and produced, both informative and entertaining and actually give nice insights into the movie making process amidst the usual humorous bantering from the cast.

Alan Lee and John Howe get their moment in the spotlight (finally!) in one of the documentaries and it is fun to see them both drawing and chatting, making jokes and interacting with the other filmmakers while modestly explaining their enormous input in the design and actual art direction.

Billy Connolly was hilarious because it seemed he couldn't contain himself and was giggling all the time during the interviews, especially when telling about his encounters with the Tolkien hippies in the 60s and because he was of the other non-Tolkien hippie group, he hated them. :lol:

Wow the schedule on BotFA was worse than I knew. They literally had to drop the chariot chase, initial dwarf/elf army battle and all those war beast trolls because they literally ran out of time.

Sad to see that a more extensive version of Beorn's little carnage at the end was cut short and never made it to the movie in that form. The pre-viz version shows a lot more of him running around killing the orcs and trolls.

Seeing the whole circus of the BotFA production I am glad Shore's music survived as coherently as it did and translated into a great album.

Ah fuck it. The same flaws are of course still evident (especially at the back end), but I was thoroughly impressed with the EE (I fast-forward through the Tauriel and Kili bits of course). The new battle additions really help, and the chariot scene is fantastic (the CGI here is pretty incredible). Watching it again, there really is a lot of good here - it's just a shame a few elements let it down. I know how most of you lot feel but I'm not justifying myself to you bastards. With a few more additions (particularly in the way of Beorn and Dol Guldur, and the end of the battle) it could be better still. As many have said, this feels like what the theatrical cut should have been.

Also, the extras are something else (and very poignant in places), and certainly make me appreciate the production all the more. The Dain one is hilarious. Billy's closing comments are gold.

Ah fuck it. The same flaws are of course still evident (especially at the back end), but I was thoroughly impressed with the EE (I fast-forward through the Tauriel and Kili bits of course). The new battle additions really help, and the chariot scene is fantastic (the CGI here is pretty incredible). Watching it again, there really is a lot of good here - it's just a shame a few elements let it down. I know how most of you lot feel but I'm not justifying myself to you bastards. With a few more additions (particularly in the way of Beorn and Dol Guldur, and the end of the battle) it could be better still. As many have said, this feels like what the theatrical cut should have been.

Also, the extras are something else (and very poignant in places), and certainly make me appreciate the production all the more. The Dain one is hilarious. Billy's closing comments are gold.

The EE didn't very much improve my impression of the film but it did give some more dramatic beats to the battle (and some horrible ones, peg leg blind troll anyone). I was still sad that Thorin's, Fili's and Kili's funeral was kind of rushed through without that small put emotional eulogy by Gandalf which would have really elevated it and of course we could have used more Beorn since his appearance was extended for about 10 seconds.

But the documentaries are such high class, a notch below LotR in arrangement and content, but give enormous insight into the production and are surprisingly candid about the difficulties but also celebrate the artistry and effort that made into making these films (whatever the end result).

I disliked the idea of the peg-logged trolls in the TC, but I warmed to him here, given that we saw him having a pilot of sorts, which makes more sense. I still don't know how that one got on the Ravenhill though. Was it the same one do we think?

And yes, the funeral could have been longer. I guess it must have been when scored.

I disliked the idea of the peg-logged trolls in the TC, but I warmed to him here, given that we saw him having a pilot of sorts, which makes more sense. Istill don't know how that one got on the Ravenhill though. Was it the same one do we think?

Yes I think it was the same troll on Ravenhill. PJ obviously wanted to continue the gag a bit further. Atrocious!

I know he wanted to create a giant battle to top all battles and I don't have problems with the general choreography of the fight but those small moments PJ focuses inside it as he tends to go for the gimmick and gag rather than something visceral. I hated all the Legolas bits, useless showing off of already too powerful character and the silliness of the company on the battlefield with axe throwing and Bifur's axe and Bombur's first line, Gandalf's failed attempt at magic with his new staff and Alfrid's demise. This is a fight to the death between good and evil, not some Buster Keaton slapstick reel.

Watched this cut last night. Don't think it's improved much, most of the added stuff is yet more CG action antics. Glad to see some of the secondary dwarves getting some screen time. But most of these things felt redundant. The only real additions that I liked were the segments with Gandalf's ring, Radagast's staff and Thorin's funeral. I guess the new version of Dain's entrance was better.

So the best extended cut, and the best film overall, remains The Desolation of Smaug. Not to mention it has the best score.

Karol

That Jackson would include more Legolas bat shit, but not the acorn scene is beyond horrible.

Hey PJ always goes for the gag if he has to choose between it and a personal moments that would flesh out the characters.

That Jackson would include more Legolas bat shit, but not the acorn scene is beyond horrible.

I don't miss the acorn scene.

I would have liked to see Bilbo dig up his treasures on the way home (if that was ever shot) and I'm really disappointed we never got Beorn at Dol Goldur and the Palantír subplot.

I also would have liked to see the little interaction between Alfrid and Bilbo shown in the extras reinstated (Alfrid accuses Bilbo of being a spy for the Dwarves when he shows up at Thranduil's tent). I think that could have made a nice scene.

I don't miss the acorn scene.

I would have liked to see Bilbo dig up his treasures on the way home (if that was ever shot) and I'm really disappointed we never got Beorn at Dol Goldur and the Palantír subplot.

I also would have liked to see the little interaction between Alfrid and Bilbo shown in the extras reinstated (Alfrid accuses Bilbo of being a spy for the Dwarves when he shows up at Thranduil's tent). I think that could have made a nice scene.

I am just glad we never got Beorn in Dol Guldur or the Palantír subplot. And the less of Alfrid in the films the better.

I suppose there is much material in this and LOTR to make more extense edtions in the near future...

The Ultimate Cut 6 film box set! With every take of every scene included and a few years' worth of extras containing the making of this saga in real time!

Karol

Of all Alfrid scene in this films they had to cut the best and funniest of them. It was a little nice moment for Bilbo to make fun of Alfrid.

I'm flogging a dead horse here, but the scenes added to the EE really show that either he didn't give a crap anymore, or that he genuinely cares for facepalm CGI shit more than for the good of the film.

The troll going through the ice was what I was referring to in particular. I thought the Ogres in the first scene, where they destroy the chariots, looked very good, both in terms of design and rendering. I can't recall how they looked in the later chariot scene off-hand.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but I maintain that Azog looks phenomenal in this film (in most places). His initial onslaught against Thorin is superbly realized.

If they ever do go back to these films, they should improve Azog's appearance in AUJ so he matches that of the latter two films.