What is the most disturbing film you've seen?

Sharkissimo

I'm more curious about the unknown than fearful, but then I've always sympathised with monsters and aliens in films and literature.

I remember being pretty disturbed by Gene Hackman's forced addiction in French Connection II.

This. Massively, massively underrated film.

I'm more curious about the unknown than fearful, but then I've always sympathised with monsters and aliens in films and literature.

That's the big thing that made Under The Skin so fascinating. You were on the side of the "terror."

And I don't mean the unknown in general is frightening - surely it's also maybe the greatest source of wonder - but when it's meant to be scary, it's damn scary.

Under The Skin has stuck with me more than any film I've seen in a long time.

Well you're missing out on a great facet of the cinematic experience then.

I don't think so. I have a very intimate and personal relationship to film. It's hard to describe, but fear is the emotion I experience the least when watching movies. Also probably why the horror genre is my least favorite, but also the lack of talented filmmakers making them is a huge factor. I just don't click with it. The Shining is the only one that I would say ever actually made me feel terrified, but then again I was around 8 years old at the time.

A disturbing movie thread and it hasn't even mentioned Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom?

What about The Human Centipede 2? The latter has a weird, self-aware sense of humour about itself that makes the film oddly amiable, but the imagery itself and the notions it presents never leave your mind, let alone your mouth!

Well you're missing out on a great facet of the cinematic experience then.

I don't think so. I have a very intimate and personal relationship to film. It's hard to describe, but fear is the emotion I experience the least when watching movies. Also probably why the horror genre is my least favorite, but also the lack of talented filmmakers making them is a huge factor. I just don't click with it. The Shining is the only one that I would say ever actually made me feel terrified, but then again I was around 8 years old at the time.

I like The Shining but I find it to be way more satirical than eerie. The same is true for A Clockwork Orange.

Haneke's Funny Games obviously nodded to A Clockwork Orange but changed the satire into 'violence is not funny' and the film did it brilliantly without showing violence.

I forgot to put Caché and The Piano Teacher on the list.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the Human Centipede movies is that there are people out there who felt the need to make them and show them to other people. Now that's disturbing. . . .

DON'T LOOK NOW, the Haneke's, yes, and i admit that i find the last 10 minutes of JAWS disturbing or at least they quite disturbed me when i was a child.

Star%20Wars%20Holiday%20Special.jpg

Undeniably disturbing, no matter what your age might be. (Sometimes I swear this has to be something from an alternate universe. I mean, the Star Wars cast with guest stars Beatrice Arthur, Art Carney, and Harvey Korman? And it actually happened?!)

Se7en is a poor man's Silence of the Lambs without the great acting, great editing, great directing, or great story telling. I don't find it disturbing. Jame Gumb I find disturbing but not the film. I find films genres disturbing. Torture horror disturbs me more than individual films. Night and Fog disturbs me.

Documentaries of man's inhumanity to itself disturbs me. Most of all Team America World Police disturbs me. MATT DAAAAMON, and everybody's got aids, aids aids aids.

DON'T LOOK NOW, the Haneke's, yes, and i admit that i find the last 10 minutes of JAWS disturbing or at least they quite disturbed me when i was a child.

I always felt sorry for the shark once its exploded carcass floats down to the camera, almost teary-eyed. Remember feeling the same way about the Rancor in ROTJ.

Se7en is a poor man's Silence of the Lambs without the great acting, great editing, great directing, or great story telling.

See, I don't agree. Silence Of The Lambs is not a movie that survives the trial of multiple viewings to me. I liked it in 1991 but today it has spend its force. It's gotten old. OTOH, I am still very impressed with Seven an how well it still works.

Alex

I always felt sorry for the shark once its exploded carcass floats down to the camera, almost teary-eyed. Remember feeling the same way about the Rancor in ROTJ.

Though that was mostly down to the music to sell this as ambivalent/impressionistic - is the rancor that dungeon troll?

Though that was mostly down to the music to sell this as ambivalent/impressionistic - is the rancor that dungeon troll?

That's right. Something endearing about stop-motion puppets (well, except the ones in THE DARK CRYSTAL).

See, I don't agree. Silence Of The Lambs is not a movie that survives the trial of multiple viewings to me. I liked it in 1991 but today it has spend its force.

Maybe some of that's down to your shifting cinematic tastes? Jonathan Demme is a very different kind of filmmaker to David Fincher.

Maybe some of that's down to your shifting cinematic tastes? Jonathan Demme is a very different kind of filmmaker to David Fincher.

Yes, me and Joey are very different as well. But I did like it in 1991 so I think it's the movie.

Nope, that's Koray.

I do like Seven, The Social Network (only saw it once), Zodiac, ...

ALien3 is in my top 10 worst movies of all time (saw it like 4 or 5 times, hoping it would finally click with me, but no sigar). The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is not for me. Panic Room is pretty good but not a classic. I never liked The Game.

It's like a dark graphic novel running on style and atmosphere. I always have a thing for that. Whether it's realistic or not, thanks to Fincher's storytelling, I believed in the film's own reality.

No, it's not supposed to be science fiction.

Most of the obvious ones have probably been said by now. Erm, parts of Battle Royale disturbed me upon my initial viewing of it, but subsequent watches made the same stark child violence turn to fascination and it even came to feel quite cool.

So you watch a piece of shit, but then rewatch it 4 more times just to make sure it's a piece of shit?

Are you asking me?

What's disturbing about it?! Are you serious, Richard? Lumet's Equus is one of the most difficult films to watch ever. The horses!