The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Depends - give me two sentences on what you think the basic plot would be?

I mean, what does he get up to during that timeline?

Who does he interact with and what is his emotional journey?

They are making official "Episode" Star Wars movies in 2015, 2017, and 2019, with spinoff / standalone movies in the years in between.

The Episodes will continue the story of the SKywalker clan while the spinoffs could be about anything. The first one coming out is about the rebels who stole the original Death Star plans, the second one is about young Han Solo, they had a Boba Fett one in development plus rumors of Obi-Wan and Yoda ones

I understand this, but then why aren't they using "Episode VII" in the posters, trailers, etc, if they're using it in the opening scroll? To distance itself from Lucas' bullshit storytelling?

They are making official "Episode" Star Wars movies in 2015, 2017, and 2019, with spinoff / standalone movies in the years in between.

The Episodes will continue the story of the SKywalker clan while the spinoffs could be about anything. The first one coming out is about the rebels who stole the original Death Star plans, the second one is about young Han Solo, they had a Boba Fett one in development plus rumors of Obi-Wan and Yoda ones

I understand this, but then why aren't they using "Episode VII" in the posters, trailers, etc, if they're using it in the opening scroll? To distance itself from Lucas' bullshit storytelling?

I think it was to give it more of a feel of a "reboot" to the general public. Or just a sense of "hey there's a Star Wars movie out that you should go see!" instead of a "Hey there's a chapter 7 of a movie series out in a theater now, hope you've seen the first six!" feel

wait it was written Episode VII in the crawl?

Dude, really?

The entire opening of the movie was completely identical to the previous 6.

Lucasfilm logo

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away

STAR WARS

Episode ###

TITLE OF THIS FILM

Crawl starts...

How did you miss that?

wait it was written Episode VII in the crawl?

Yep.

There were a bunch of kids waiting until the end of the credits in my theater. When the Bad Robot logo started up they were like "Oh my god! What's it gonna be?!"

Thanks, Marvel. Training audiences to ruin my credit listening experiences! :P

I was thinking about those Luke lines in the teaser the other day. It'll ruin it for me if she is his daughter. Small universe syndrome has already become too much of a thing in Star Wars.

Is there any live links for the old spoiler-filled breakdown of the whole movie that leaked this summer?

I wonder how accurate it is to the final cut of the film

They've said these movies continue the Skywalker family saga. If she isn't a Skywalker, that doesn't make sense.

One thing that was missing from the movie was the Resistance super weapon. That was what was going to make this end battle unique, they'd have this bigass thing taking out star destroyers.

Siblings!!

Going back to ROTJ the subplot of siblings was established.

I remember reading an excerpt of Lucas' original storylines in the 1990's. In it he established that Han and Leia had twins, a girl and boy and one of them, I can't recall now, turned to the Dark Side.l know that there is an apparent age difference between Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver, but if written properly it could be such that they are at least siblings.

That begs the question as to why neither Han nor Leia mention anything to Rey in the film. Maybe like Ben in the first film, they were trying to protect her from going on some "damn fool crusade". Maybe after seeing what happened to their son, who Han does shout Ben! on the gantry, they wanted to hide her ancestry from her, having failed one child for the sake of another.

It would be an interesting plot development I think that could be deemed plausible.

In addition, there is a striking resemblance between Daisy Ridley and Natalie Portman/Keira Knightly. Knightly played Padme's double in The Phantom Menace when the character was needed to subvert the fact that Padme was the Queen of Naboo. So maybe the Padme/Leia/Luke/Rey plotline is not too far fetched.

Obviously the First Order is going to build a whole fleet of Death Stars, thousands of them, which Roy will easily destroy with one swing of Anakin's lightsaber.

Who is this Roy character? Is he Ray's brother? And why does he have Anakin's lightsaber?

Kids these days would read the marketing material and go "Episode Vee-Eye-Eye... what's that mean?"

Indeed!

You answered your own question. Apparently, it was to distance themselves from the prequels, who put an emphasis on the episode number on all the posters, toys packaging, etc. (the episode number was bigger than the titles of the movies themselves).

I was thinking about those Luke lines in the teaser the other day. It'll ruin it for me if she is his daughter. Small universe syndrome has already become too much of a thing in Star Wars.

Indeed!!

Indeed!!

A-men!!

Depends - give me two sentences on what you think the basic plot would be?

I mean, what does he get up to during that timeline?

Who does he interact with and what is his emotional journey?

There was an EU novel about Ben on Tatooine. It is just called Kenobi and it was brilliant. It was written to capture the vibe of films like Shane. It's Obi-Wan trying to settle into life on Tatooine. I think something along those lines could a be a great film.

I bet everyone in the galaxy bloody hate the Skywalker family. Anakin saved the Emperor from Windu, killed almost all Jedi, laid waste to the galaxy for 20+ years with the Empire. Leia has a kid that Luke trains and then which joins the Empire 2.0 and lays waste to the galaxy again for many years, while Luke sits on his ass feeling sorry for himself. Now if Rey is a Skywalker, I can picture a classic comedy sketch scene where Rey walks into a room of people and says "fear not, I will save the galaxy!" And everyone just turns and says "PLEASE NO! We don't want your damn help." Do us all a favour and don't have kids. Now leave the defence of the galaxy to a non-Skywalker please."

Weak motivation. Again, say what you want about Lucas and the prequels, but they made a sympathetic character out of Darth Vader/Anakin. He turned to the dark side because he loved someone so deeply and believed he could have the power to save them after his premonitions tormented him. He made a deal with the devil and the darkness consumed him. Once she's dead, the last part of him that was good seemingly dies with her. Until he learns that his children are alive, that is, and then he's on the road to redemption.

Yeah, and that was all perfectly clear when we were introduced to Darth Vader in ANH..!

Nice to see I'm not the only one who hated that final shot. Jay reckons it should've been a silhouetted, static shot of the two atop the cliff. I agree!

He also raised a good point; why was the finale scene shot in broad daylight? Kind of removed some of the potential "magic" of it for me. If that whole sequence was set at dusk/sunset it would've been much more cinematic. I actually expected them to "alien-ify" the whole planet and turn the sky a different colour or something, but I guess they stuck with simplicity in the end.

Obviously the First Order is going to build a whole fleet of Death Stars, thousands of them, which Roy will easily destroy with one swing of Anakin's lightsaber.

Who is this Roy character? Is he Ray's brother? And why does he have Anakin's lightsaber?

I meant Rey. Autocorrect went rogue.

I meant Rey. Autocorrect went rouge.

Rogue....

I didn't like the final shot either. First of all, was Luke just standing on that cliff during the events of the whole movie? Seemed too convenient that he was just waiting there, doing nothing. I expected him to snatch the light saber from Rey using the force, and then having it cut to black, but then It just goes into this weird spiral shot and fades away.

... he was just waiting there, doing nothing. I expected him to snatch the light saber from Rey using the force, and then having it cut to black ..

What?!

Why would a wise and experienced Jedi Master do that?

Alex

And because it's cooler than: "Hi, I'm Rey. You must be Luke, right?"

In such closing moments silence works better than starting a dialogue. The rest is reserved for the next movie. It's saying "Come and see Episode 8 next year ..."

There a many things in TFA that I criticize but this isn't one of them.

Alex

So the one silent moment in the film is a big mistake to you, Koray? I wish there were more moments like this. You know, moments that don't need dialogue. Luke immediately demonstrating his force abilities on a young approaching girl would be so uncool and awkward. At least now we have the feeling that the wise Jedi Master, the legendary Luke Skywalker, is actually expecting this visit.