The Force Awakens: What would you change and how?

leeallen01

What ending? I never saw the post you're referring to

~

Well, don't let it happen again!

Here's the original writeup I did

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24637&page=45entry1095084

Who's the fittie in the background?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Cookson

I think he meant Colin Firth.

STAR WARS

Episode VIII

The Balance Of The Force

The galaxy is in choas!

After the destruction of the New Republic Senate,

which has resurrected after the destruction of the Empire

after the Battle of Endor, which killed Emperor Palpatine

and his most loyal vazal DARTH VADER. The evil First Order

tries to establish itself as the ulimate ruling force. But the RESISTANCE

combats them at every turn! led by General Leia Organa, of royal blood

and sister of Luke Skywalker, the Last Jedi who dissapeared ages ago

after his nephew Ben, who now goes by the name Kylo Ren turned to the

Dark Side after the manipulations of the sinister Snoke.

Little does Snoke know that Rey, the Scavenger woman from the desert

world Jakku had made contact with Skywalker.

Dadda...dadda...dadda....

I know that one shouldn't look for realism in a Star Wars movie, but the whole Starkiller Base thing is so outlandish and preposterous that I have great difficulty to suspend disbelief here. Is that Planet thing mobile? Or would it have been useless after the second shot, having used up the system's sun? I cannot see how this thing could possibly have been constructed (and why it was necessary to alter the planet so much to begin with)... And: Why can you see the destruction of the Hosnian (?) System instantly presumably lightyears away in the sky of Maz' Planet, where the individual destroyed planets look like nearby moons? That's even worse than the destruction of Vulcan in Star Trek not having the slightest effect on its moon (?) where Spock has to watch it. I think Abrams just hates physics ;-)

Other than that I mostly enjoyed the movie despite the many déjà vus. I do find it strange that the movie explains so little of what happened in the last 30 years, though. It apparently attempts to mimick the effect A New Hope had on its original viewers - but Lucas always intended to explain all that in Episode I-III as soon as it was clear that Star Wars was a financial success. Now all we can expect to perhaps see some of the missing events in a TV series or spin-off. Am I the only one who would have liked to see how Luke trained his Jedi students and failed?

Quick question, how does a bad guy, who's supposed to be the new stand-in wannabe Vader, Get pretty much owned by a soul brutha with no training and a desert scavenger with no training (don't give me that "she's strong with the force" crap), both with absolutely no idea how to use a lightsaber?

Easy, he was bleeding from the hip out of a blaster wound courtesy of Chewie

And both Finn and Rey clearly fought in a way that showed they didn't really know how to use it. Ren's injury forced the duels to be way more competitive then they would have been.

but Lucas always intended to explain all that in Episode I-III as soon as it was clear that Star Wars was a financial success.

I call bullshit on this!

Well, maybe not from the very beginning on, but very soon after the initial release the "Episode IV" title appeared, so I guess he at least wanted to make the prequels from then on. Anyway, I do agree that the approach works in Episode IV, but given the structure of the Star was Saga as it is now it IS weird that so many important things are just left out of the continuous storyline.

but Lucas always intended to explain all that in Episode I-III as soon as it was clear that Star Wars was a financial success.

I call bullshit on this!

Beat me to it! Lucas planned one film, and when it became an insane success he made the rest up as he went along.

I'm sure Lucas had some leftover ideas and concepts in rough form that came from the many, many version that he did of the Star Wars script, but to say that he actively planned a 9 part saga in the 1970's, when sequels completely depended on the financial success of the previous film?

No way.

I probably misphrased my point. I don't believe (and never believed) he planned the prequels from the very beginning either (nor did he know what his movie would actually look and be like until very late in the process of making it - one just has to look at the early artwork and scripts). Only that he certainly had the idea/hope of making the prequels after the first movie had become very successful ("Episode IV" from the first re-release onward) - and there were very likely no detailed plans at that point yet (why would there be so many inconstencies between the trilogies otherwise?). All I am saying is that the new movie mimicks an effect of Episode IV that, thanks to the prequels, is no longer there and feels strange to me now. There is a gap now in the saga as it is, prequels and all.

Oh, and I am probably the polar opposite to a George Lucas fanboy ;-)

I would probably change some of the locations, but NOT the desert one.

It's actually the most fitting one for the introduction of the new main character Rey. Nothing quite captures the sense of loneliness and isolation from civilisation as a desert landscape. I can't think of any environment that would have worked as well for that. (maybe because all the ancient biblical stories take place in desert backgrounds)

They could have just called it Tatooine, but then people would have complained about having another movie on there.

The other environments The Hoth like one on the Starkiller and the forest one didn't add anything to the story so I would have changed those just for the sake of doing something different from the OT.

I do love the look of the snowy woods for the lightsaber fight, though, I think that does add a lot to the imagery. Maybe that's where the base should have been located as well, rather than the vast tundra that more obviously recalled Hoth.

I'm hoping we see a really FOREIGN environment in Episode 8, something that isn't just an Earth place like desert, jungle, snow, forest.

Something along the lines of that opening planet from Star Trek Into Darkness, perhaps

When Snoke said "It's aboard the Millennium Falcon...with your father.....................Han..............................So................lo. I just wanted Ren to say, "I know who my dad is you imbecile." 

31 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

When Snoke said "It's aboard the Millennium Falcon...with your father.....................Han..............................So................lo. I just wanted Ren to say, "I know who my dad is you imbecile." 

Ugh.  I hated that part.  Snoke just doesn't it for me.

5 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Ugh.  I hated that part.  Snoke just doesn't it for me.

If they do a complete 360 and give us a very interesting direction with Snoke, I can live with it, but yes that whole character choice, design, giant hologram, and CGI was all bad.

43 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

The Snoke bits are lacking, which is a shame. Because those are the only scenes where the concept of "The Force awakening" is really dealt with.

Solo was meant to find the Falcon, just as Rey was meant to find Luke's saber. And that is an encouraging thought....

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Snoke bits are lacking, which is a shame. Because those are the only scenes where the concept of "The Force awakening" is really dealt with.

Solo was meant to find the Falcon, just as Rey was meant to find Luke's saber. And that is an encouraging thought....

Luke is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I didn't have any serious issues with the Snoke scenes.  Yes, the way the Han Solo reveal was written/delivered was a bit goofy, but not nearly distracting from what I liked about, namely the mood of the scene, lighting, the deceptive holographic reveal, etc.