WESTWORLD (HBO TV)

A24

1 hour ago, saulocf said:

Season 1 end, although not closing everything, feels like a good conclusion to the series, had it ended there. 

I don't know... By the end of season 1, the main hosts had achieved sentience and were aware of their condition as mere theme park attractions, so they began their rebellion. It felt like the end of the first chapter of this story, not is definitive ending.

About s4, I have hopes that the creators are aware of the possibility of being cancelled, so the season will have a mostly closed ending. Also, they have a lot of other projects in their hands, so it's on their best interest to end the season with a satisfying finale.

The album should be out on Sunday if not Monday like in past seasons. I've loved the season, but there haven't been too many standout moments in the score other than the end credits for 406 and that cover of Video Games in 401. I guess I also remember a nice cue during Teddy and Christina's date...

https://lnk.to/WestworldS4ID

1 Main Title Theme - Westworld 01:42

2 Parasite 04:04

3 The Day the World Went Away 03:40

4 Bad Acid 03:37

5 Olympiad 03:36

6 Video Games 03:53

7 Time to Transcend 02:18

8 Welcome to the Golden Age 02:04

9 Années Folles 01:08

10 Bad Guy 02:20

11 Sweetwater Temperance 02:18

12 Enter Sandman 02:40

13 Outliers 02:41

14 Pink + White 01:02

15 The Tower 01:32

16 Hale's World 01:08

17 Do You Have an Appointment? 03:06

18 Knowledge 03:06

19 Winner Takes All 01:51

20 Perfect Day 03:32

21 Wrong Exit 01:20

22 A Message 02:51

23 They Are After Your Hooch 02:47

24 What We Are 03:15

25 No More Waiting 03:23

26 Ancient Wisdom 02:16

27 Host City 01:51

28 Watch You Grow Up 02:58

29 Finish What We Started 03:24

30 Blue Dress 04:53

31 Pyramid Song 03:23

32 Set Ourselves Free 01:28

33 Sweetwater Reprise 00:47

34 Our World 02:59

Just like The Boys Season 3 I thought Westworld Season 4 was mostly great, if kinda let down by its finale. They better get Hopkins back for at least 1 episode of the final season. Oh what am I saying? We all know Discovery's gonna cancel Season 5.

Episode 4x8 Que Sera, Sera

I thought, just like the entire season, this was awesome.

The standoff between Hale & William was cool. And so this is really the end of The Man In Black. I'm really kinda sad of all the characters we have lost this season. As of this moment is looks like Hale, William, Clementine, Stubbs, Bernard & Maeve are all dead. If this is really the case I'm kind of angry. Not only because they are great characters, but because the actors deserve better deaths as these characters.

I can agree with Stubs dying, his character couldn't go anywhere anymore, it was just a shock how it happened.

As for Hale, this is kind of a nice send off for her, in the way that she listened to Bernard and she saw that there was nowhere anymore for her to go.

If Dolores is creating a new Westworld, I can see her bringing back Maeve, Celementine, maybe even Hector in some way. And I would really love that. Especially Thandiwe Newton does not deserve and end to her character like that. She is the best character on the show, won an Emmy for it, and this is not the way to let her go.

I see a lot of characters returning in Dolores' new world. With the ones mentioned above I can maybe see Akecheta, Armistice & Bernard/Arnold return.

Like someone mentioned above, it would be really cool for Hopkins to come back for a few episodes, as he is Dolores' maker.

I think it's cool that we are going back to Westworld, for a final season that hopefully gets made. Because I would absolutely hate it, for it to end like this. I want to see what Joy & Nolan have planned. As they have said in Season 1 interviews, that they know where they wanted to end up.

Djawadi's music was again terrific this episode. Reprises of Dolores'/This World theme and the Sweetwater Reprise at the end were especially great to hear. The album is out and it's a great listen. I like it a lot more than S3's score. That was a bit to much meandering electronics for me. This season has a lot more orchestral stuff.

A few small things

- Caleb & Clementine's fight was very well choreagraphed.

- The Production & Effects were again really strong.

- Caleb & Frankie's goodbye was beautiful.

- The acting of the whole cast is just top notch. Tessa Thompson really was the standout this season and I felt that it was her season. Thandiwe Newton is second, only because she's not in it as much as Thompson.

- It was great seeing Dolores in her original outfit again.

- And it was great seeing and hearing Westworld again. I'm very curious how different this world will be from the one in season 1

Let's hope they announce Season 5, as a final season, soon!

Westworld 4x08 Que Será, Será

Boy, that was... something.  It's a lot to take in and I think will go down smoother on a future rewatch.

For now, here's what I understand:

-Evil Hale succeeded in placing every human on earth under fly control except for a small group of outliers; Host William then successfully made every non-Outlier human kill each other, extinguishing the human race apart from the small group of outliers

-Bullets to the head are fatal for Hosts now, except when they're not (Evil Hale), so every single Host we've been following since season 1 (Bernard, Maeve, Stubbs, William, Clementine, etc) are dead, including Evil Hale who crushed her own marble for... reasons

-The only sentient life left on earth (besides the outlier humans... and I guess Host Caleb?) are stored as digital data on a server farm in the hoover dam, that has 80 years worth of power left, and they have the ability to open a hole back out into the real world if they want, but nobody from the outside can open that hole

Dark stuff - Nolan & Joy have a depressing view of humanity

What I didn't understand:

-Christina!  Is there an explanation for this or is it purposely nebulous?  

So, I get that Evil Hale had a marble of her (how? from where?  Is it a marble made from her memory of her? One of the Delores copies she smuggled out of the park at the end of episode 2? Is it the one from Lawrence? WHAT IS IT?) that she installed in the tower to write the loops for her fly-controller humans to go through.

Of course Evil Hale could override their loops whenever she wanted, and so could Host William, so security obviously wasn't very tight.  But anyway, the Delores marble plugged into the tower didn't just write the loops, it viewed everything happening in the city as it she was there, basically taking some empty apartment and pretending it was hers?  And writing a roomate for herself, and building a copy of Teddy based on her memory of him, and all kinds of other people to interact with her.... but it was al in her head, and just used as motivations to keep writing stories?  But often those seemed to distract her from writing stories?

But most of all... why?  Why did Evil Hale need Delores to do this?  What was she hoping would happen, and did she get what she wanted, or something different?  And why did she take the marble out since William told the humans to kill themselves?  Why did she plug the marble into The Sublime at the end, what is the risky move she knows she is initiating here?  And how exactly does Delores creating a another simulation of the original park in the Sublime help, how does this somehow provide a chance of avoiding extinction of life on earth.... when all sentient life on earth is already dead except for the small group of outliers?

Am I as confused about this as all you are?

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

-The only sentient life left on earth (besides the outlier humans... and I guess Host Caleb?) are stored as digital data on a server farm in the hoover dam, that has 80 years worth of power left, and they have the ability to open a hole back out into the real world if they want, but nobody from the outside can open that hole

I expect Host Caleb is decaying quickly. With nobody left to create another iteration for him, he should probably be dead soon.

Dark stuff - Nolan & Joy have a depressing view of humanity

Well, there's William's fatalistic-pessimistic view, but there's also Delores's more optimistic one.

Of course Evil Hale could override their loops whenever she wanted, and so could Host William, so security obviously wasn't very tight.

That's one of the sad things about the series for me. Season 1 was a very (very!) rare case of video entertainment where pretty much all the security and computer stuff (like code fragments, and also including what I could follow of the cognitive science bits) seemed to check out. The show has lost that, but I guess that's just the way it is with all high concept shows that have a rather tight (and somewhat self-contained) first season and then get expanded to something much more expansive. As good (and possibly better) as the later seasons are, something of the first season's cohesiveness invariably gets lost. (See also Lost, for example)

But anyway, the Delores marble plugged into the tower didn't just write the loops, it viewed everything happening in the city as it she was there, basically taking some empty apartment and pretending it was hers?  And writing a roomate for herself, and building a copy of Teddy based on her memory of him, and all kinds of other people to interact with her.... but it was al in her head, and just used as motivations to keep writing stories?  But often those seemed to distract her from writing stories?

I think it was all "in her head", kind of like a comatose dream state, running in parallel to the real world that she controlled without knowing it. Most of what she did and saw in her head also transferred to the real world, but some bits she subconsciously planted only in her internal version.

But most of all... why?  Why did Evil Hale need Delores to do this?  What was she hoping would happen, and did she get what she wanted, or something different?  And why did she take the marble out since William told the humans to kill themselves?  Why did she plug the marble into The Sublime at the end, what is the risky move she knows she is initiating here?  And how exactly does Delores creating a another simulation of the original park in the Sublime help, how does this somehow provide a chance of avoiding extinction of life on earth.... when all sentient life on earth is already dead except for the small group of outliers?

Locked out, she probably figured she couldn't salvage the situation. Nostradamus-Bernard probably saw that having Delores run one final loop of the Sublime may save Hostkind in some way, and set everything in motion to allow Hale to initiate that.

I wonder what happens to the rest of the outliers. Delores's closing monologue makes it sound like they are doomed, and very quickly, but that might just be her mistake.

Am I as confused about this as all you are?

I'm mostly confused about Hale's original intentions, I suppose.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm mostly confused about Hale's original intentions, I suppose.

I guess she just wanted to enslave all of humanity because they had enslaved the Hosts even after they knew they were sentient?

14 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Not only because they are great characters, but because the actors deserve better deaths as these characters.

The moment a show sacrifices its own integrity for the meta concept of making its actors (or their fans) happy, it jumps the shark. Of course I'll be sad if all these actors are really gone in the next season, but if the story demands it, that's how it has to be. And if we get to keep Aurora Perrineau I'll be happy, because she was excellent as well.

Delores can bring back literally anyone in the new Sublime version of the original Westworld park, which is presumably where Season 5 begins, I am sure

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess she just wanted to enslave all of humanity because they had enslaved the Hosts even after they knew they were sentient?

Maybe, but what about all this ascension business then? And how does the Sublime factor into it?

Damn thank you I knew I forgot to mention something

WHAT THE HELL WAS ASCENSION ANYWAY?

It was like a big deal for Evil Hale this season and yet the season ended without explaining it!

What are they meant to do in those weird bodies with no arms?

I thought they were going to go to outer space, like saying the Host life humanity created is leaving the bounds of earth an will explore space since they are seemingly immortal and only need electricity to survive, but we got nothing

As for the Sublime, she never had access but wanted to preserve it anyway, I think because it contains Host life inside and she considers Hosts her children.  But how the hell did she get it from the satellite Delores zapped it to, to the Hoover dam, anyway?

(and how fucking long would it take William to travel from New York City to Utah on horseback....... the show doesn't want us to think about that)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Delores can bring back literally anyone in the new Sublime version of the original Westworld park, which is presumably where Season 5 begins, I am sure

So much for not ending with a cliffhanger. ;) I wonder who she'd bring back though. The original hosts - likely. But William? Charlotte? And obviously Caleb is entirely unrelated to Westworld.

It means now that everything is in that digital illusion. Every character we ever head could come back in one way or another.

Dolores, Maeve, William, Clementine, Ford, Bernard, Teddy, Armistice, Stubbs, Lee, Hector, Logan, Lawrence, Emily, Akecheta.

And I would 100% on board with a season with everyone returning for one last crazy ride

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It means now that everything is in that digital illusion. Every character we ever head could come back in one way or another.

Dolores, Maeve, William, Clementine, Ford, Bernard, Teddy, Armistice, Stubbs, Lee, Hector, Logan, Lawrence, Emily, Akecheta.

And I would 100% on board with a season with everyone returning for one last crazy ride

The MIB after credits scene in S2 will take place in S5 I think. Can’t wait to see what they cook up for the ending, The actor who plays Teddy was told already in 2018 that he would return in season 4 so they have everything planned more or less, at least the major story beats and character arcs.

This season was definitely an improvement over Season 3, but I still am not sure I liked where this show went after Season 2. However, I am still on board enough where I definitely do want one more season... but JUST one more. I hope they will be able to make a good ending for what they have set up here, even though it's still not what I really wanted or expected. But that's just me.

I will say probably my biggest criticism is that for me it was unclear the whole season if it was JUST this city that was under Hale's control, or if it was indeed the whole world. By the end I do think they made it clear the whole world ended up being infected, but I guess it still just didn't feel that way until it was merely said. This is a case where I think "show VS tell" would have been better (since we only see the control and the carnage in and around the city), but I understand it was a limited TV show budget. I guess the stakes were just uncertain for me until the end? Speaking of budget, I felt like the effects weren't as polished this season like they were in others. I imagine their budget decreased after Season 3... and I shudder to think how low it could go if they do get to make another one.

I did love the Dolores stuff, and the music in all of her scenes, too. It was some of the best stuff I'd seen in a while, and it was really cool how her story played out (even though that too got a little confusing in the final episode, I still managed to make sense of it).

Thank you, I was confused by that too.

It wasn't clear to me for a while if Hale had infected every human on earth, or if New York City was just a "test city".

For example, when Bernard exits the Sublime and goes on his road trip with Stubbs, I guess we're now meant to believe that the people in the diner, the waiter that served him the pastrami melt or whatever it was, etc are all under fly control, I guess

Which makes it confusing because the show made it seem like the giant tower in near NYC was what sends out the signal to keep people under fly control, however I guess the reality is the controlling noise is somehow spread across the planet to control every human.. some other way?  Like it emulates from that tower, but then repeats somehow?

But then Dolores was only writing loops for humans in NYC?  Or was she writing loops for the entire planet?  Was someone else writing loops for the rest of the planet?

Honestly I don't think there are answers to these questions and the writers just wanted us to not think about them, like how often characters quickly traveled from the Hoover Dam to NYC, including once on horseback at the same speed as another person in a plane...

Yeaaaaah, to me it was all a bit too messy by the end, like you said. Like I was literally confused "OH! So this is a bigger deal than I thought!". LOL. And I bet we won't get any concrete answers to those questions you raised.

In a way, it sort of did feel like a series finale? I mean all the main characters are "dead". Dolores is just in the system and not even in the "real world". And they kind of imply what she plans to do next. So it's this weird in-between of a cliffhanger and a inferred conclusion. Honestly, with the way it ended, I am not sure how they would really go about the next season at all, if there is one.

6 minutes ago, scallenger said:

In a way, it sort of did feel like a series finale?

No, not at all

In fact it directly sets up the start of the next season in a way none of the other season finales did

6 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Honestly, with the way it ended, I am not sure how they would really go about the next season at all, if there is one.

The episode explicitly said what: Dolores is running some sort of "test" in the sublime, the result of which will decide the fate of all sentient life on earth.  No pressure, Dolores!

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, not at all

In fact it directly sets up the start of the next season in a way none of the other season finales did

I agree and I read an interview with Lisa Joy where she said that they did not write the finale with thoughts of not doing S5 at all. S4 and the end of sentient life on earth was always going to be the penultimate season’s story.

S5 and going back to the park was always the endgame since they did the first season and she mentioned that there have been easter eggs and small hints throughout the season like the MIB after credits scene in S2E10.

Djawadi also said that if they get to do S5, he is exited about returning to the more orchestral and acoustic sound of the first 2 seasons and is looking forward to using the S3-4 themes in new ways!

Everyone involved clearly wants to make S5 so HBO better renew it haha!

2 hours ago, scallenger said:

I will say probably my biggest criticism is that for me it was unclear the whole season if it was JUST this city that was under Hale's control, or if it was indeed the whole world. By the end I do think they made it clear the whole world ended up being infected, but I guess it still just didn't feel that way until it was merely said.

I was going to comment on that, but forgot. It's been bugging me as well, because it seems believable that the tower off Manhattan was capable of controlling NYC, but nothing in the show makes me believe that a single tower like this would be able to control the entire world. Of course, it may be that the rest of the world is unaffected - unlikely though, since there is no contact, and none of the characters are concerned with it. Another option would be that we're in fact already inside a simulation, and NYC plus a few special locations *are* the entire world. But I'm afraid it's more likely that they just used NYC as a stand-in for the world, and didn't bother explaining it any better (see my comment about first seasons above).

The show's established visual language is that simulations are shown is wider letterboxed format and the real world is the full 16:9 frame, so I'd hate it if they backpedaled next year and say we've been watching a simulation the entire time. 

So when the tall ripple was seen in front of the Hoover Dam itself, and we see grassy fields beyond.... 

Was the dam in the real world? How can we see from the real world into the Sublime? That seems bizarre. 

If the Dam is inside the Sublime.... Then there is no risk of overloading the generator from inside the simulation being controlled by the generators outside. 

This season was one large acid trip. 

If I remember season 2 correctly, the "rift" visualized is not anything literally there, or anything humans can see - it's a visualization of an entryway that only Hosts can see.  In season 2, if the Host went through it, their physical bodies fell down lifeless, but their consciousness was transferred from their marbles into the Sublime.

So I'd assume it's the same case here, that rift isn't something anyone can see, but just to visualize for the audience to make it clear that Bernard had successfully opened a passageway: that The Sublime was open to receiving outside data again, instead of just running things isolated internally as it had been for 30 years.

I doubt a Host could have walked through it and entered the Sublime this time though, since I assume the tech to transfer everything from a marble into the servers was only in the Westworld park specifically.  At the end of season 2 Dolores sent the Sublime data to a satellite, and we still don't know how that data got transferred later down to the Hoover dam.  But I think the only tech at the dam to send a Host into the sublime is the marble reader that Evil Hale uses to put Dolores's marble into the Sublime at the end of the season.

That makes some kind of sense. I guess it's always been the Hoover Dam in the real world, but the audience gets to see the shimmering doorway to the Sublime because Evil Hale and William, like Maeve and Bernard, are hosts. They can see it, so we see what they see. 

I don't really understand why Evil Hale uploaded Dolores and crushed her own pearl, instead of the other way around. But isn't Evil Hale just an altered copy of the original Dolores? Maybe that's all part of the plan. 

I would hope that the Sublime servers are very robust with multiple redundancies. Humanity is going extinct, with all consciousness uploaded to basically The Matrix. One good power failure or lightning strike or meteor impact or drought to dry up Lake Mead... 

... And Kansas is going byebye. 

Just now, Positivatee said:

I would hope that the Sublime servers are very robust with multiple redundancies. Humanity is going extinct, with all consciousness uploaded to basically The Matrix. One good power failure or lightning strike or meteor impact or drought to dry up Lake Mead... 

In the season premiere Host William was told the system could run for the next 80 (or was it 100?) years without any maintenance required

Then it's not a permanent paradise. It's a temporary heaven that will fail one day without warning. 

Unless they keep a number of white Isaacs outside the system for planned maintenance. Someone needs to maintain the red Mechwarriors, too. 

I need to stop over analyzing it. Surely if they have millions of artificial people made from milk that drink and cry and bleed and feel fear, they have mastered physical storage of billions of exabytes of data needed to store their planet and all the people. The logistics of how in today's terms do not drive the story forward. 

I cheered when Steven Ogg was axed in the cold open.

25 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

But isn't Evil Hale just an altered copy of the original Dolores?

The OG Delores escaped the park at the end of Season 2 inside a printed Hale body, with 5 additional copies of her own marble in her purse.

Outside the park in Arnold's house, she printed herself a Dolores body and put her marble in that, returning the OG Dolores marble to a Dolores body.  That OG Dolores was wiped clean by Serac at the end of season 3 and is supposed to be definitively dead....

Meanwhile, the 5 copies of Dolores's marble ended up in newly printed bodies of Hale, Lawrence,  Musashi, Connells (Liam Jr's security guard), and... I don't think we know where the fifth one went?

During the course of season 3 the Musashi and Connells marbles were destroyed (I think?), but the Lawrence one was still in the wild (and he never appeared in season 4... weird), while the one in Hale's body eventually became her own evil persona (thanks to combing with memories of human Hale's own past) that took over the world.

So maybe that 5th mystery marble is the one Evil Hale put under the map of the city and had write stories? If so, the show could have simply stated as such...

Some of these confused mysteries are likely why people stopped with this show altogether (as the low viewing numbers clearly show they have). And I remember people having issues with LOST! Hah! That was nothing compared to this! ;) I still am enjoying this show enough to see it play out, but I admit at this point they may even be confusing themselves or forgetting their own mysteries, perhaps.

I think another problem is how meaningless death is on the show. They made a big deal about Dolores dying, making it all dramatic and etc, but then who do we see right away in Season 4? Sure, it's not really the same version of her that "died". But it still is part of this precedent of "Oh, 'So and So' just died. Set the clock now, I wonder when they'll come back." I fully expect to see "another version" of Hale and William in Season 5, if there is one; for example. I'll be more surprised if we don't than if we do at this point.

I've been busy with the chronological order of the 4 albums of Westworld.

Finally finished after a week.

A few notes:

- Some cues are used multiple times in a season so I put them in the episode where they're heard the most or for the first time.

- Some cues are not completely used in the series

- Some cues are alternates

Season 1: The Maze

Spoiler

Episode 1: The Original

1. Main Title Theme: Westworld

2. Sweetwater (used in multiple episodes)

3. MIB (Man In Black theme, used in multiple episdes)

4. Online

5. Black Hole Sun

6. Paint It Black

7. This World

Episode 2: Chestnut

1. Sweetwater Stride

2. No Surprises

3. Do They Dream

4. White Hats

5. Reveries

6. The Maze

8. Dr. Ford

9. No Surprises (Stride Piano)

Episode 3: The Stray

1. The Stray

2. Nitro Heist (used in multiple episodes)

Episode 4: Dissonance Theory

1. A Forest

Episode 5: Contrapasso

1. Pariah

2. What Does This Mean

3. Something I Can Never Have

4. No One's Controlling Me

Episode 6: The Adversary

1. Fake Plastic Trees

2. Motion Picture Soundtrack

3. Freeze All Motorfunctions (slight alternate)

Episode 7: Trompe L'Oeil

No music on album

Episode 8: Trace Decay

1. House Of The Rising Sun

2. Back To Black

Episode 9: The Well-Tempered Clavier

1. Memories

Episode 10: The Bicameral Mind

1. Trompe L'Oeil

2. Someday

3. Violent Delights

4. Bicamerial Mind

5. Exit Music (For A Film)

6. Reverie

Season 2: The Door

Spoiler

Episode 1: Journey Into Night

2. Journey Into Night

3. The Entertainer

4. Myself

5. Is This Now?

Episode 2: Reunion

1. Runaway (Alternate in episode. This is the trailer version)

Episode 3: Virtù e Fortuna

1. Seven Nation Army

2. The Raj

3. Les Échorchés

Episode 4: The Riddle Of The Sphinx

No music on album

Episode 5: Akane No Mai

1. Paint It, Black

2. Akane No Mai

3.C.R.E.A.M.

Episode 6: Phase Space

1. A New Voice

Episode 7: Les Échorchés

1. Virtù e Fortuna

Episode 8: Kiksuya

1. Kiksuya

2. I Remember You

3. Heart-Shaped Box (Piano)

4. Take My Heart When You Go

Episode 9: Vanishing Point

1. Vanishing Point

2. My Favorite

Episode 10: The Passenger

1. My Speech

2. A Passage To Another World

3. Virus

4. I Promise (The Piano part is used in Kiksuya)

5. Core Drive

6. We'll Meet Again

7. Westworld

8. Codex

Heart-Shaped Box (Orchestrall) (Trailer)

Season 3: The New World

Spoiler

Episode 1: Parce Domine

2. Rehoboam (theme, used multiple times in season. Heard for the first time here)

3. Caleb (theme, used multiple times in season. Heard for the first time here)

4. I Don't Do Personals

5. You Are Not Even You

6. Dissolved Girl

7. Unsibscribe

8. MOTO

Episode 2: The Winter Line

1. The Winter Line

2. Activate

3. Serac

Episode 3: The Absence Of Field

1. It's Our Choice

2. Doomed

Episode 4: The Mother Of Exiles

1. Start A Revolution (Slightly alternate)

2. Hunter

3. Wicked Games

4. Why Are We Here?

Episode 5: Genre

1. Hope

2. Space Oddity

3. Main Title From The Shining

4. Who's To Blame

Episode 6: Decoherence

1. Decoherence

Episode 7: Passed Pawn

No music on album

Episode 8: Crisis Theory

1. The Choice Is Yours

2. Divergence

3. Choose The Beauty

4. Free Will

5. Brain Damage

6. Welcome To The End (Slight alternate)

Sweet Child Of Mine (Trailer)

Season 4: The Choice

Spoiler

Episode 1: The Augeries

1. Bad Acid

2. Main Title Theme: Westworld

3. Olympiad (, used multiple times in season. Heard for the first time here)

4. Video Games

Episode 2: Well Enough Alone

1. Do You Have An Appointment

2. Time To Transcend

3. Welcome To The Golden Age

4. Années Folles

Episode 3: Années Folles

1. Sweetwater Temperance

2. Bad Guy

3. Enter Sandman

4. Outliers

5. Parasite (end credits, theme, used in other episodes as well)

Episode 4: Generation Loss

1. They Are After Your Hooch

2. Pink + White

3. Finish What We Started

4. The Tower

5. Hale's World

Episode 5: Zhuangzi

1. Perfect Day

2. Host City

3. Knowledge

Episode 6: Fidelity

1. Wrong Exit

2. A Message

3. Our World

Episode 7: Metanoia

1. What We Are (Alternate)

2. No More Waiting

Episode 8: Que Será, Será

1. Winner Takes All

2. Ancient Wisdom

3. Watch You Grow Up

4. Blue Dress (Alternate)

5. Pyramid Song

6. Set Ourselves Free

7. Sweetwater Reprise

The Day The World Went Away (Trailer)

I think the major difference this season compared to the other seasons was that in the prior seasons, they were confusing along the way, basically mystery / puzzle box shows where you often felt lost and wasn't quite sure what was happening... BUT, but the end of those seasons, everything was explained so satisfactorily!  Everything made sense, all the prior confusion was explained, etc.

This was especially true in season 1 and 2.... season 3 sort of felt a little undercooked, and the finale wasn't as satisfying as the prior ones.  Maybe a sign things were starting to crack...

Season 4 was fundamentally different through, where the confusion / puzzle box era only really lasted for the beginning of the season, by episodes 4 and 5 they had really explained most all of the mysteries, and even by episode 7 had wrapped up most things apart from what Christina is.  The finale though, instead of shedding new line and fully explaining things, really was just the source of a lot of new confusion, and things that seemed like they were building up to being explained at the end just ended up not getting explained at all.

It's a shame, because up until the end I was really high on Westworld and fully sure that they had returned to the heights of the first 2 seasons, but then the finale kind of soured that.

34 minutes ago, scallenger said:

I think another problem is how meaningless death is on the show.

That was my problem only in S3, where it seemed like we had tons of characters who have become impossible to relate to in any way, and whatever happened to them would be a of little consequence because new copies could be made anytime. With S4, death has become more relevant again, and it was again possible to follow the characters' motivations.

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

That makes some kind of sense. I guess it's always been the Hoover Dam in the real world, but the audience gets to see the shimmering doorway to the Sublime because Evil Hale and William, like Maeve and Bernard, are hosts. They can see it, so we see what they see. 

Good point though. I don't remember, do we see the rift in S2 when a scene is shown from a human POV? In S4, I suppose there's always a host around when it's shown (even if there are humans as well), so it could just be their POV or not.

I don't really understand why Evil Hale uploaded Dolores and crushed her own pearl, instead of the other way around. But isn't Evil Hale just an altered copy of the original Dolores? Maybe that's all part of the plan.

I think despite being Evil Hale, she understood and accepted that Nostrard's prediction was correct, and that she had failed, but Dolores still has a chance of saving… something.

Then it's not a permanent paradise. It's a temporary heaven that will fail one day without warning. 

At this point, the stakes seem to be the complete extinction of intelligent life (mankind & hostkind) on Earth. Without them, there won't be anyone left to maintain the Sublime system, so the longevity of that tech is secondary to the longevity of life itself.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

The show's established visual language is that simulations are shown is wider letterboxed format and the real world is the full 16:9 frame, so I'd hate it if they backpedaled next year and say we've been watching a simulation the entire time. 

Unless the entire show from the very beginning has always been taking place in Simulation Prime and its subcreations. Then we simply wouldn't have seen the aspect ratio for the real world yet. But I agree that I don't think that's what they're going for. (It was, by the way, my theory at the end of The Matrix Reloaded, until Revolutions utterly shattered it).

Was anybody else perplexed by the tower and how it exploded in episode 7 then was completely fine in every way in episode 8?

I initially though that the way the fly control worked was that the device constantly and forever emitted a signal (that unaffected humans couldn't hear) that kept fly-controlled humans on their loops, since when we are introduced to it under the Prohibition park it's constantly emitting a sound as those guys shoot themselves in the head and Caleb finds the fake Frankie.

So then in New York City, I assumed the giant one was constantly emitted sounds there that kept every human on their loops.

But then, at the end of Episode 7, Host William sends out a new signal telling every human to kill each other, and then BLOWS UP THE TOWER IN A GIANT EXPLOSION.  So I thought oh, OK, so the tower is just used to send NEW loops out to people, but the tower otherwise doesn't have to be running to keep them ON their loops, they'll just do them forever without a signal playing. Got it.

But then, in episode 8, the tower is just... perfectly fine?  Evil Hale walks right into the room and Bernard's body is on the floor, Dolores's marble is underneath, etc - she even states on screen that William's programming is still being broadcast.  SO WHAT THE HELL DID HE BLOW UP?

Why is the show suddenly making careless mistakes like this in end game?  They could have just... not shown a giant explosion at the end of episode 7, or had Hale find Bernard's tablet and Dolores marble on the ground if they kept the explosion.  Instead... it's a confusing mess!

All signs they need to just do one more season... and no more, lol. I think I only have it in me for one more at this point, no matter if its good or not. I feel like there is only so much further they could got at this point, especially.

And how will everyone react if it DOESN'T get another season (which is a real possibility, especially since the finale already aired and we still haven't heard anything)? Would you feel satisfied enough? I wouldn't, really. I think if it doesn't get a proper ending at this point, I would honestly just regard Seasons 1 and 2 as the show and probably never watch Seasons 3-4 again. In a way they almost do feel like two different shows when split in the middle.

But am I right that the tower exploded at the end of episode 7 and then it was fine in episode 8?  Nobody else noticed this?

But am I right that the tower exploded at the end of episode 7 and then it was fine in episode 8?  Nobody else noticed this?

I didn't think of it at the time (when watching E8), and I don't remember how exactly the damage/destruction is depicted in E7. But yes, I also though it was "destroyed", so seeing it still active in E8 (and still broadcasting audible signals) is rather odd.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my big issue now is that each of the previous seasons had satisfying finales that answered a ton of questions and made sense of what had been mysterious throughout the seasons.

With season 4, the finale was infuriatingly confusing; Instead of making things clear and wrapping things up, it seemed to kick out any answers or explanations into the next season, and frankly I'm not even that confident all the big questions will even be answered there if we do get a fifth season.

I hope we do, just to wrap things up and give us the best thesis they have on what they are trying to say about artificial life, the human condition, and everything else.  But boy have I lost a lot of confidence that they'll be able to do so in a compelling way.. hopefully we'll get to find out!

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Jay said:

At this point I'm assuming a renewal is not coming

I’m worried but Ed Harris mentioned shooting S5 in april-march so I don’t know what to think. If they were cancelling it, they surely would have done so already? I think that given Nolan and Joy’s contract with Amazon (they have Fallout coming up and also they produced The Peripheral), it’s possible that they are just waiting or are negotiations with HBO.