How did you feel about the sound and picture quality of The Rise of Skywalker?

Unlucky Bastard

How did you like how the movie looked and sounded?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How was the picture?

• Great!
    • A bit too dark
    • A bit too bright
    • Couldn't see it
  2. 2. How was the sound?

• Too soft
    • Too loud
    • Couldn't hear it
    • Had to use ear plugs because I have tinnitus
  3. 3. Was your cinema THX certified, for optimal sound and picture quality?

George Lucas always felt that the best possible presentation of a film would help you enjoy it more, especially sound. Sound is 50 per cent of the experience, he'd always say.

Does TROS meet your quality standard of how a cinematic experience should be in the 90s?

I remember the Star Wars Special Editions sounding better. I don't think I saw the prequels in THX certified theaters except the IMAX Attack of the Clones, which sounded awesome.

I still remember the SEs of Star Wars being extremely loud, just shy of being unbearable at times. It definitely delivered the THX digital sound experience Lucas wanted. Titanic was also exceptional in its original theatrical run and IMAX 3D reissue. The prequels sounded too low.

The Disney movies are loud but seem poorly mixed and there's a lot of yelling in the Abrams ones which is just annoying.

The sound was better in my IMAX showing, but unfortunately that meant the sound fx were louder too, not only hindering the score, but just outright annoying. They went overboard mixing those obnoxious noises.

The picture quality was fine in a standard theater as well as IMAX 3D - I could make out more detail on the larger screen.

12 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The sound was better in my IMAX showing, but unfortunately that meant the sound fx were louder too, not only hindering the score, but just outright annoying. They went overboard mixing those obnoxious noises.

I know, right? There was a moment when Kylo Ren casually drops his mask on the table and it made such an obnoxiously loud sonic boom with the theatre subwoofers, I was like "does dropping something on the table make that sort of sound in real life? Wtf"

The worst thing wasn't the movie, but the IMAX trailer for Top Gun which exploits the trailer DOOF! BWAMMM! noises over and over again each time shaking the theatre and blowing out the speakers.

In regular theater the music sounded anemic, noticed right away with Main Titles  In IMAX the music sound lush and full range but maybe louder SFX

Picture was way too dark, had to watch in 3D as no 2D showings, parts of it I could barely make out what was going on. Even Solo was better so I'm thinking the projector lamp was probably on its last legs.

Sound was fantastic (DD 7.1 - no Atmos where I live) but OP did not offer that as an option in the polls so I chose too soft as I had to select something.

No THX available where I live.

First time I saw it the projection was awful. Light-leaking, a smaller than average screen at the wrong aspect ratio leaving us with milky-grey black letterbox bars and an alarmingly phallic shadow down the centre of the screen.

A few nights ago I saw it at the local Showcase De Lux cinema - far superior 4K projection and with Dolby Atmos sound. The main title still sounded surprisingly weak, though but I often find that with Star Wars in cinemas.

I think the movie itself looks and sounds great.  In general, at least in my local theaters, I find that they keep the volume too low lately.  Maybe to avoid bleed-over into other theaters?  IDK.

I saw it in two different theaters, and neither viewing stuck out as having sound/picture quality that was unusually good or strikingly bad. I agree that the main title seemed a little quiet, though I was surprised and delighted that it was a different recording.

Looked great in the theater, I thought the special effects were perfect and all the locations and sets were pretty great too.  Heck the acting was fine, it was just a crappy script/story

Score sounded great in my theater, I noticed all the terrific unreleased music with ease

oh yeah the picture is too dark in 3D because the glasses are tinted. Noticed that in a lot of films but it was obvious in Godzilla King of the Monsters where I couldn't see anything most of the movie