Carter Burwell's PSYCHO III (1986) - new 2021 Intrada

Jay

Roger says

Happy New Year! I know it's way early to reveal the first title of 2021, but we figured we'd do this to kick the year off quickly! Let's leave 2020 behind and here's to a great new year!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8638

I remember when we (i.e. me and a few of my film-interested classmates) were going through the PSYCHO films on VHS in the 90s, we were surprised to see Burwell as the composer. Goldsmith for II was understandable, but Burwell was barely on my radar at the time, due to the Coen bros. connection. In fact, I think I only had heard THE HUDSUCKER PROXY when his name popped up in the credits. I never got the soundtrack; I should use the opportunity to re-familiarize myself with it. But not after I've gone through all those damn 2020 scores (that's ALL I listen to now).

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not familiar with this one. Does Burwell play around with Herrmann's original themes?

No use of any of the Herrmann’s themes. When I first watched the movie (specially during the murder scenes) it felt a bit odd, like watching Jaws without the shark theme.
Psycho III It’s a percussion based/electronic score with some voices and in some sections sounds a bit like sound design, which was very unusual at the time.
I soon warmed to this very unique and bold score and it has been one of my top grails for many years.

Any score in the world being a grail for anyone on this earth should never be surprising. 

INTRADA Announces

PSYCHO III
Music Composed and Arranged by CARTER BURWELL
INTRADA ISC 453

Intrada's first release of 2021 features the complete score to the 1986 Universal feature Psycho III with music by Carter Burwell. Norman Bates star himself, Anthony Perkins, took over directing duties and wanted a music approach that diverged from the previous Psycho films. Having been impressed with Burwell's score to Blood Simple, Perkins thought Burwell could provide the different sound for which he was looking. Burwell wrote a score performed primarily on the Synclavier, with additional live percussion, piano, saxophone and both women's and boy's choirs, taking heed of Perkins' guidance to avoid a strict traditional approach. Following in the footsteps of Herrmann and Goldsmith was no small task, but Burwell delivered a distinctive approach all his own and a perfect fit for the story in this next chapter of Norman Bates' life. The studio asked for a pop single as well, and the composer partnered with Stanton Miranda and Steve Bray to develop a song called "Scream of Love."

Released on MCA Records at the time of the film's theatrical run, the album featured dialog, excerpts from the score and source music. For this two CD-set, Intrada presents all the music Burwell recorded for Psycho III, in chronological sequence on the first disc. The second disc features the original MCA program, as well as all the different versions of "Scream of Love" recorded before finalizing the version he wanted to move into production. All this sourced from the 1/2" and 1/4" elements stored at Universal Studios.

The film begins mere weeks after the events of Psycho II, with a dark screen and an anguished woman’s voice crying out, “There is no God!” The voice belongs to Maureen Coyle, a novice nun plagued by doubts about her vocation, whose suicide attempt goes tragically awry for one of her fellow sisters. Fleeing the convent, Maureen finds herself at the Bates Motel, where another failed suicide attempt leads to an unexpected bond with Norman, who is haunted by Maureen’s resemblance to Marion Crane, the woman he killed decades earlier. Two newcomers jeopardize their relationship—Duane Duke, a sleazy would-be musician whom Norman hires as a desk clerk, and Tracy Venable, a journalist unconvinced that Norman has put his murderous ways behind him. Norman’s conflicted feelings toward Maureen lead to more murders, and at the end he willingly allows himself to be returned to the madhouse. But Mother still has her grip on him.

INTRADA ISC 453
Barcode: 720258545305
Retail Price: $29.99
Starts Shipping Week of 1/12
For track listing and sound samples, please visit 
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12171/.f

5mOY4zf.jpg

eOXnZRC.jpg

li93GkA.jpg

Carter Burwell
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 453
Film Date: 1986
Album Date: 2020
Time: 122:04
Tracks: 43
Price: $29.99

World premiere release of complete Carter Burwell soundtrack for Psycho III on 2 CDs! Universal releases third film in legendary horror franchise in 1986. Origins of frightening tales of Norman Bates and his notorious Bates Motel - 12 cabins, 12 vacancies… and 12 showers - began with Alfred Hitchcock’s most famous thriller in 1960, scored by Bernard Herrmann. Anthony Perkins herein introduced cinema to one of its most iconic killers with his portrayal of Norman. Installment 2 followed in 1982 with music by Jerry Goldsmith and Perkins continuing his chilling character. Now, in 1986, he returns for third tale, not only giving us yet another look at Norman but also sitting behind the screen as director! 

Psycho III also introduces veteran composer Carter Burwell to his first big studio feature. Joining cast is Jeff Fahey, Diana Scarwid, Roberta Maxwell. Burwell launches initially with nightmarish choral material (with percussion) to match early religious angle of suicidal nun Maureen Coyle who catches Norman’s eye, becomes a guest at Bates Motel. Burwell soon brings us his title music, immediately creates his own voice to franchise’s musical signature with sparse primary theme built from repeating minor-key chord progression colored by electronic pizzicato string effects, subtle choral fragments. Instantly unique, instantly memorable! Especially haunting version appears with Norman on screen at piano, his voice humming melody along with right hand piano line. 

Haunting (and spooky) new facet of score enters with flashback scene of Emma from second chapter, becomes important theme throughout score. “House, Mom Intro” melds choral chant with Burwell’s modest ensemble into chilling music, a prelude to horrors ahead. Primary theme reappears in source music-style treatment for Duke in bar sequence, “Warm As A Cry For Help”. Numerous highlights follow: scary “Norman To Maureen In Bath” with murderous choral phrases joining instrumental ensemble with increasing density, gentle unwinding of primary theme on small organ for “Norman In Maureen’s Hospital Room”, disguised variant of same theme for “Maureen And Shrink”, terrifying “Swamp” sequence, many others. Climactic (and lengthy) “Maureen Comes To Norman, Tracy, Norman And Mom” is worthy of special spotlight! 

Intrada 2-CD set features film cues including sequences not heard in final film, source music, film version of “Scream Of Love” plus 6(!!) additional alternate versions. Also appearing is CD premiere of original 31-minute 1986 MCA vinyl album.  Over two hours of music all-total, all mastered from original scoring session mixes and album masters, courtesy Universal and UMG. Carter Burwell composes, performs and produces with Steve Forman on percussion. Intrada 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain! Thrilling and chilling!

CD 1 Film Soundtrack
01. Nunnery (1:36)
02. Main Title (1:58)
03. Catherine Mary (3:44)
04. Dirty Street (2:30)
05. Emma Flashback (2:13)
06. Duke Meets Norm (0:36)
07. Maureen Exits Truck (0:20)
08. Piano Theme (Film Version) (0:57)
09. House, Mom Intro (2:29)
10. Duke In Bar (Warm As A Cry For Help) (2:26)
11. Norman Watches T.V. (White Water/Red Water) (1:25)
12. Norman To Maureen In Bath (3:14)
13. Norman In Maureen's Hospital Room (3:41)
14. Scream Of Love (Film Version) (3:54)
15. Ruthie's Murder (0:54)
16. Maureen And Shrink (1:51)
17. Norman And Tracy On Steps (0:44)
18. Tracy In Emma's Apt. (2:08)
19. Norman And Mom Argue Over Maureen (1:47)
20. Bathroom Murder (1:44)
21. Mom's Missing (2:48)
22. Rest Home (Electroshock Waiting Room) (2:13)
23. Swamp (3:54)
24. Maureen Comes To Norman, Tracy, Norman And Mom (8:11)
25. Norman Arrested (1:06)
26. End Credits (2:44)
CD 1 Total Time: 62:04

CD 2 The Extras
01. Piano Theme (Alternate) (1:07)
02. Scream Of Love – Version C (4:32)
03. Scream Of Love – Psycho Mix (3:10)
04. Scream Of Love – Psycho Dance Mix (5:33)
05. Scream Of Love – Psycho Dub Mix (6:34)
06. Scream Of Love (Alternate No. 1) (3:49)
07. Scream Of Love (Alternate No. 2) (3:56)
Extras Time: 28:52

1986 MCA Soundtrack Album
08. Scream Of Love (Theme Song From The Motion Picture “PSYCHO III”)(3:48)
09. Maureen In The Desert (1:54)
10. Dirty Street* (3:38)
11. Before And After Shower (3:37)
12. Warm As A Cry For Help* (2:20)
13. Sisters/Catherine Mary* (4:15)
14. Mother? (2:46)
15. Bad Boys And Body Bags (3:54)
16. Revenge Of A Thankless Child (2:49)
17. Electroshock Waiting Room* (1:45)
Total Album Time: 31:02
CD 2 Total Time: 60:00

*Co–Produced by CARTER BURWELL, BOB MARGOULEFF, BILL SMITH

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12171/.f

On 1/4/2021 at 3:08 AM, Jay said:

A score doesn't have to personally appeal to you to make it worth a label's effort to release it for those who do. 

Everybody has different tastes, and thank god for that, what a boring world it would be if everyone liked the same things equally as each other

Hear fucking hear!

In 1986, PSYCHO III was my musical introduction to Burwell, so I'm glad that it's getting an expanded release.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

PSYCHO [is simply] tour-de-force of filmmaking. It's brilliantly written, designed, performed, directed, photographed, edited, and scored. It's no wonder that it's Hitchcock's most famous (and infamous) film.

Yes it is😉

5 hours ago, Jay said:

How good a bad a film is has nothing to do with how good or bad a score ALBUM is..

Now

• 4 weeks later...

Doug on the Intrada forum:

Awesome work. All of those "Scream of Love" variations alone have me sold on this.

I included them all (in the extras) mainly because each was so different. Had they all been similar cues, simply edited into different lengths, their inclusion might have been questionable. Speaking of which, upon listening to our finished assembly, prior to manufacturing, Carter Burwell offered his satisfaction, which was heartwarming... and then he asked if we really thought people would want to hear all those versions of "Scream of Love". I figured people would rather have them than not have them. Happily he agreed.
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=83542#p83542