Jerry Goldsmith's LEGEND (1985) - 2021 2-CD Music Box Records

Amer

12 hours ago, Tallguy said:

they messed with his voice

It gives me goose bumps to this day. 

At least for me the movie sufferent as well from the inevitable comparison with the brillant animated "The Last Unicorn" from three years before. That made the script for Legend look extra bad.

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

At least for me the movie sufferent as well from the inevitable comparison with the brillant animated "The Last Unicorn" from three years before.

Is The Last Unicorn so good? I started watching it years ago, but I think I feel asleep. Maybe I should have watched it first when I was a kid. But if it's really that good, I will give it another try.

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Is The Last Unicorn so good? I started watching it years ago, but I think I feel asleep. Maybe I should have watched it first when I was a kid. But if it's really that good, I will give it another try.

Yes, maybe it is just my childhood nostalgia. The movie does not really have big action or humor, but it is so poetic. And I like that. And Jimmy Webb's score including the songs is gorgeous.

24 minutes ago, JTW said:

Same here. Fell asleep I think, or stopped it.

I will give it too another try because I love hand-drawn animation.

On 23/05/2023 at 2:05 PM, filmmusic said:

@chrissiddall

Any chance of releasing this masterpiece of a score?

I'm sure it'd be a popular release, but there's the small matter of finding the (widely believed to be) lost full score manuscript to use as reference (aside from the other usual requirements like licensing).

1 hour ago, chrissiddall said:

I'm sure it'd be a popular release, but there's the small matter of finding the (widely believed to be) lost full score manuscript to use as reference (aside from the other usual requirements like licensing).

Oh, I didn't know the full score manuscripts are lost. That's disappointing to hear.

54 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I don’t think the Herrick Library even has sketches for Legend 😢 

Yavar

I had seen the complete Legend sketch score in a trading list and was given a sample.

So, I know it exists.

16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I don’t think the Herrick Library even has sketches for Legend 😢 

Yavar

It's not, but I do know where the sketch score is. Even so, a reconstruction project from the sketches would be a huge task, and even with a skilled and experienced orchestrator, not necessarily completely faithful to the original full score. 

34 minutes ago, chrissiddall said:

It's not, but I do know where the sketch score is. Even so, a reconstruction project from the sketches would be a huge task, and even with a skilled and experienced orchestrator, not necessarily completely faithful to the original full score. 

Yes, of course..

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know if there's an official high-res cover for this particular album available? The ones included on the Music Box site are shockingly low quality.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Not sure where else to post this (do we have a general homage/plagiarism thread, or just one for Williams and one for Horner?), but I was listening to some Poulenc and the beginning of this melody sounded familiar...

So it's Williams AND Goldsmith who've taken one of their famous tunes from Poulenc.

37 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So it's Williams AND Goldsmith who've taken one of their famous tunes from Poulenc.

Well, if you can call an unused song in a score that was unused for a big market "famous"... :P

What works are being compared here? Yet another unavailable YouTube video in my country.

Another plea for people to type the title of embedded videos for the fair number of us who are randomly unable to see certain stuff (thank you unhelpful copyright laws) so we at least have a chance of being able to find the music or clip elsewhere. Ta. 

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

What works are being compared here? Yet another unavailable YouTube video in my country.

Another plea for people to type the title of embedded videos for the fair number of us who are randomly unable to see certain stuff (thank you unhelpful copyright laws) so we at least have a chance of being able to find the music or clip elsewhere. Ta.