So Disney has ordered a direct-to-Hulu Alien movie - The Alien Romulus thread

Jay

Teaser trailer dropped today:

Looks tense! This has been my most-anticipated film of 2024 for quite some time already, even before I saw the trailer.

Any chance we could update the headline to say Fede Alvarez' ALIEN: ROMULUS or some such thing now? Makes it easier to find.

56 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The teaser for ALIEN ROMULUS has just dropped, and it isn't half bad.

Looks good! And Don't Breathe was excellent, so maybe this actually has a chance.

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why the fuck does everything have to have this dull gray wash over everything? Why can't we have real colours?

Looks more colourful to me than the original Alien.

Looks like it's back to basics, and there's supposed to be considerable gore. I'm actually looking forward to this one.

So no Roque Baños? :(

I really liked his Evil Dead score. And the fact that he worked with Alvarez in all of his movies may indicate that this was studio and/or producer mandated, kinda similar to Giacchino instead of Fernando Velázquez in JW Fallen Kingdom.

I'm kinda glad it was Wallfisch and not Banos. EVIL DEAD was 11 years ago. If you listen to the majority of Banos' work in the last decade plus, it's like it's been eaten up by various boring, contemporary tropes. Including, and especially, in the thriller genre. The Banos of yesteryear, who played around with Herrmann beautifully, and who delivered one sophisticated orchestral score after the other (GOYA EN BURDEOS, SEGUNDA PIEL, LAS 13 ROSAS etc.) simply isn't around anymore. Or perhaps he is, and he would be awakened by an ALIEN project, who knows, but I feel like Wallfisch is a safer bet in this day and age.

By the way, when I posted the trailer in this thread, I only saw Jay's casting news ahead of me, didn't see NOF posting about it before me. Something wacked up happened there. In any case, can we PLEASE change the headline?

Now that’s how you do a trailer.  

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah and the movie is not even Hulu exclusive anymore... is it?

Looks like it’s exclusively on theaters. 

IMG_4634.jpeg

My main experience of Wallfish is The Invisible Man which simultaneously has some really effective emotional/psychological moments with strings and electronics, and also the most literal nail on chalkboard action scoring that would make most fans here of traditional orchestral music vomit.

If he can minimise the latter and continue some of that inspiration with what looks like a very atmosperic and tense film, this could be good. Although I'm in the minority club that really likes what Streitenfeld and Kurzel came up with, so I look forward to this sort of scoring.

Personally I was rooting for composers like Marco Beltrami or Christopher Young... them doing their best efforts on an Alien movie is my dream score.

As for Wallfisch I liked his music for A Cure for Wellness, but I think he went a lot more bombastic later on and I didn't really listen to much of him.

Wallfisch has a number of horror scores that are far better than the majority of modern horror scores, so I’m excited for this.