So Disney has ordered a direct-to-Hulu Alien movie - The Alien Romulus thread

Jay

And you're sure he says Fiori and not Fury? I aim to rewatch the film one of these days (I watch all films at least once a year). Either way, he misses a '1' in the planet's title.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

And you're sure he says Fiori and not Fury? I aim to rewatch the film one of these days (I watch all films at least once a year). Either way, he misses a '1' in the planet's title.

I believe that it's "Fiori", in the subtitles.

Yes, it's definitely "16".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What?  It's not an actual synopsis, it's practically nothing:

It follows a group of young people on a distant world who find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.

This'll be the kind of film they keep any real details under wraps for a very long time

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Synopsis, eh? I'll try to steer clear of that, although I'm sure I'll be exposed to some details eventually.

No worries, Thor -- the article doesn't reveal any plot details for the film. You can safely click it!

The article says the film joins the prequel series, which has me intrigued. 

The untitled project joins the prequel series, which first premiered in 2012, with “Prometheus,” followed by “Alien: Covenant.” The prequel series is the latest iteration, and follows the original series which began in 1979, with “Alien,” followed by “Aliens,” “Alien 3,” “Alien Resurrection,” and then the crossover series which began in 2004, with “Alien vs. Predator” and “Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem.”

Is this a stealth sequel to Covenant that bridges events to Alien, without being an "outright" sequel? Sort of a soft reboot that hints at what happened to the colonists? It's telling that Scott is still involved and the rumoured title is Alien: Romulus.

I could see this crew stumbling across a distress beacon for an abandoned ship (the Covenant), which David left filled with experiments as a trap. I doubt he'll actually appear, but they could imply his fate (either a victim of his own creations, or whereabouts unknown with an escape pod missing or whatever).

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is this a stealth sequel to Covenant that bridges the events of Covenant with Alien, without being an "outright" sequel? Sort of a soft reboot that hints at what happened to those colonists? 

I doubt that. The "David trilogy" is Ridley Scott's baby, and if the third ever gets off the ground, it would and should be with him at the helm, or at least involved. But Fassbender ain't getting any younger; they should hurry up.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

I doubt that. The "David trilogy" is Ridley Scott's baby, and if the third ever gets off the ground, it would and should be with him at the helm, or at least involved. But Fassbender ain't getting any younger; they should hurry up.

Scott's producing and the film is under his production company. He personally sought the director who is making the film.

It might be similar to what happened with Prometheus. It started as a direct Alien prequel that got retooled into its own thing; this could be the sequel to Covenant retooled into something standalone (but still a continuation).

Yeah, but I can't picture it being a COVENANT sequel in any way. Some references to the prequels, perhaps. I just hope it doesn't further negate the possibility of said 'official sequel', directed by Scott himself (I'm worried, though, Scott is 85 and there has been no new development of the third David film for a while). Time will tell, I suppose.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I don't see Scott directing a third film sadly. He already has a full slate, and Gladiator 2 is next cab off the rank.

That's my worry, yes. This new ALIEN film was always supposed to have been a standalone film with no connection to the prequels. If it turns out to be connected anyway, an ageing Scott might perceive it as 'enough' of a bridge between COVENANT and ALIEN to put his own sequel off of his busy schedule.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

If this is Hulu exclusive, how will the rest of the world get to see it (legally)?

Whichever service has Star, probably Disney+. That's where all the Hulu content goes in Australia. 

More than a cursory interest in this as I liked Prometheus and Covenant. I guess we're too early to have any composing announcements but I hope it's something in the vein of the other two as I love those two scores.

On 05/03/2023 at 5:57 PM, Thor said:

Synopsis, eh? I'll try to steer clear of that, although I'm sure I'll be exposed to some details eventually.

Relax, @Thor, I don't hear a red ball.

Apparently, some people at some place or other, find something nasty.

That's it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cool! I'm really curious about where it will be in the timeline of the ALIEN universe, though, even if it is supposedly "unconnected" to the other films.

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So Ridley Scott thinks ALIEN ROMULUS is "great".

Didn't Cameron say that about both "GENISYS", and "DARK FATE"? ;)

Don't believe what you read.

This has been addressed in the video. Scott isn't afraid to critique non-Scott Alien/Blade Runner movies. Of course, this is still Ridley before the release. Let's wait and see if he still thinks it's great after the release. 

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

rest assured, i have also seen Alien: Romulus and i thought it was great. i think this is great sign for the next thirty years of Alien.

Care to elaborate? They're already test screening it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Why the fuck does everything have to have this dull gray wash over everything? Why can't we have real colours?

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why can't we have real colours?

Those are reserved for romantic comedies. This is horror sci-fi!

433443667-944542647041144-70828399580423