HOUSE OF THE DRAGON

Jay

Yea, I've learned that lesson before too, but just didn't think it'd be an issue this time... until it was!

And I have some things to say after posting about episode 10 that are good things to ponder on about the next season...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE: The upcoming second season of HBO’s House of the Dragon will consist of eight episodes, two fewer than Season 1 of the Critics Choice Award-winning Game of Thrones prequel. It is part of a long-term plan for the show, which includes HBO mulling a green light for a third season, I have learned.

The news comes as production is about to begin on Season 2 in the UK for a likely summer 2024 premiere.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-episode-count-season-3-greenlight-season-4-hbo-1235312044/

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently it’s a story decision enabling shorter wait between seasons. A big battle is being moved to S3 so I imagine that a lot of time will be saved by doing that. still it’s disappointing but at least we know that HBO is committed to 3-4 so I’m not worried about the show.

8 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

A big battle is being moved to S3

Cause that worked out so well for GRRM moving climaxes from one book to the next...

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Cause that worked out so well for GRRM moving climaxes from one book to the next...

I don’t think that those situations are comparable and in the case of the books I assume you are referring to Stannis vs Ramsay the siege of Mereen? As far as I know those were never planned to be part of book 5 and the issue is more the amount of complex storylines coming together.

My theory is that this is connected to the number of seasons. They maybe planned 3 seasons to begin with containing 10 episodes per season and now they’re seemingly doing 4 seasons with 8 episodes per season or something like that to give some extra time for the story to be told (+2 episodes). Hopefully this also leads to less waiting times between the seasons, which might be the intention as well.

2 more season of 10 episodes each would have led to 20 more episodes

3 more seasons of 8 episodes each will lead to 24 episodes

So that's +4, not +2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HBO has revealed four cast members joining “House of the Dragon” Season 2

SIMON RUSSELL BEALE, FREDDIE FOX, GAYLE RANKIN, AND ABUBAKAR SALIM

Gayle Rankin will play Alys Rivers, a healer and resident of Harrenhal. In author George R.R. Martin’s novel “Fire & Blood,” on which “House of the Dragon is based, Alys is a witch who has mystical visions and becomes a powerful figure within the Targaryen’s Green faction.

Simon Russell Beale will play Ser Simon Strong, the Castellan of Harrenhal and great-uncle to Lord Larys Strong, played by Matthew Needham in Season 1.

Freddie Fox will play Ser Gwayne Hightower, the son of Otto Hightower (Rhys Ifans), brother to Queen Alicent (Olivia Cooke) and uncle to her children King Aegon (Tom Glynn-Carney), Queen Helaena (Phia Saban) and Prince Aemond (Ewan Mitchell).

Abubakar Salim will play Alyn of Hull, a sailor in the Velaryon fleet who served in the Stepstones campaign.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Same. One of the best shows of last year!!!

Just listened to the album on Wednesday. I really can't wait for Djawadi to expand on his themes. It's really good.

I still find it amusing that when he did Iron Man almost everybody thought he wasn't a good composer. Now with GoT, Westworld & HotD he has created some of the best music for tv. It's incredible

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hard disagree there but the show is awesome with or without a score I care about

It's awesome, but I can't stop wondering if it would be even better with good music.

Djawadi is a really great composer, and I agree that his music for the GoT universe is some of the best for a TV show. You may not like it, but his music, his themes and his overall style are now strongly linked to the visual style and the mood of these shows, and I think he succeds in creating a memorable and unique sound world of his own!

Also, cannot wait for S2. I loved S1 of the show!!

• 1 month later...

“House of the Dragon” Season 2 will premiere in “early summer” 2024 on HBO, network chief Casey Bloys announced during a press event in New York on Thursday. At the media presentation, the first trailer for the second season screened exclusively for reporters, but details about the contents of the footage were kept under an embargo.

During a Q&A portion of the event, Bloys said he expects that “Game of Thrones” spinoff “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight” will begin shooting next spring, pending the end of the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-premiere-summer-2024-1235773002/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, looks fantastic!

I was afraid when I saw there were 2 trailer that it would just be the same trailer with a different voice over. So I'm glad they're actually different.

I kinda hope they won't release any more trailers. And if they do, I think I'm gonna stay away from the then. Don't want to see too much.

What I like about HoD is that despite it being based in a "historical" book by GRRM that is not as detailed as his A Song of Ice and Fire novels (I haven't read it myself but people on the internet said that it's just a telling of the events like in a school book), the show is certainly faithful to Martin's writing style. I felt like reading a new ASOIF novel with the show. And it really did help me enjoy this universe again, something I thought it wasn't possible.

After the horrendous GoT final seasons and the constant delays of The Winds of Winter, I thought I was done with this franchise, but HoD captivated me again and reminded me of what I liked about reading these books a decade ago.