Howard Shore's The Rings of Power Main Title

Jay

8 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I still want to know what really happened between Shore & Jackson on King Kong.

Doug wasn't as ruffled about that as he is about this...

I don't have any information on the going ons with Shore on The Rings of Power on the Fellowship of Fans side.

I...may have been (falsely, falsely!) accused - multiple times! - of having had a tryst with one of my lady co-hosts - lets just say I was listening to a lot of Tristan! ... but other than that, I've been on my best behaviour, honest! ROTFLMAO

Oh, and maybe on the last watch party (which I attended drunk) I may have called the showrunners out on a bluff on-air. Maybe...ROTFLMAO

But other than that...!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only thing I can think of that comes close is LOST by Giacchino

One element he didn't have was the expectation and weight of the show already being in a beloved franchise. By the time the show was established, successful and admired, his music set its own expectations.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:49 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

If this were the Harfoots they'd have left your a** behind a long time ago.

Literally as I wrote that...more accusations of me Tristaning my Isolde...ROTFLMAO

unknown.png

On 12/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Jay said:

The only thing I can think of that comes close is LOST by Giacchino, though that of course had no choir, invented languages, or particularly exotic instruments.

There were definitely some exotic instruments, not least of which include scraps of airplane.

On 12/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Jay said:

although he didn't come up with concert arrangements with full A,B,C sections and bridges

Are you sure about that? I haven't listened to the live album in a while, but I assume he had to put some additional structure on them for concert performance.

I meant while the show was on the air, he wasn't writing concert arrangements and recording them with the orchestra to put on the soundtrack releases. All the albums are entirely made up of cues from the show.

Terrific as to be expected. Excellent analysis. I love the examples of “Shore-isms” in his non-LOTR works (works that, admittedly, I haven’t taken the time to truly appreciate)

The whole closing argument on the genius of the simplicity of Shores title theme is well expressed. And I find the opening visuals to be the perfect compliment to his music.

Cant wait for your future interview with Bear 😊

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

The whole closing argument on the genius of the simplicity of Shores title theme is well expressed.

Yes, yes and yes!

Its as old as Beethoven who uses - what - open fifths to open the Ninth?

And then we have, a-propos scales, one of the most sublime moments in all of music: the orchestral interlude of Wotan's Farewell is, what? just a rising scale. Funny, that...

Been waiting for this video since the track first surfaced!

• 4 weeks later...