Spielberg films that reference other Spielberg films

Jay

For this thread I'm not just talking about the films he directed, but also all the ones he has writing or producing (even exec producing!) credits

I always like in The Goonies when Chunk talking to the police and the guy doesn't believe him because he once tried to pretend Gremlins was real

Or in Back To The Future 2 when Marty sees the Jaws 19 hologram and says the shark still looks fake :lol:

What are some other fun ones?

Does the Raiders-referencing moment with Indy going for his gun in Temple Of Doom when he's confronted by sword-wielding henchmen (only to remember that he's not currently carrying it) count?

I only ask because with Temple being a prequel to Raiders, it's maybe a bit too 'easy' (it's a good gag, albeit one that makes no chronological sense).    

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I only ask because with Temple being a prequel to Raiders, it's maybe a bit too 'easy' (it's a good gag, albeit one that makes no chronological sense).    

It kinda does, though. In 1935, during ToD, Indy thought he could simply shoot the swordsmen, but then he forgot that he didn't have his gun. One year later, in Egypt, he didn't make the same mistake that almost cost him his life.

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Does the Raiders-referencing moment with Indy going for his gun in Temple Of Doom when he's confronted by sword-wielding henchmen (only to remember that he's not currently carrying it) count?

I'd say no because otherwise we have to include scene with the Ark in Last Crusade or, for that matter, that other movie that I don't remember and barely admit that it exists. The one with the refrigerator.

This doesn't count but just reminded of a moment in Scorsese's interview with Spielberg for Bridge of Spies where Spielberg said there's a moment where a character boasts "I was in the third wave at Omaha Beach" and Spielberg joked to Tom Hanks "You should tell him you were in the first wave"

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'd say no because otherwise we have to include scene with the Ark in Last Crusade or, for that matter, that other movie that I don't remember and barely admit that it exists. The one with the refrigerator.

The "pretty sure" ark of the covenant comment in TLC is better.