OOP John Williams osts

filmmusic

I don't know if there is a similar topic here, but I was wondering if any of these are OOP.

Lincoln - the price at both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk seems to me a bit too high!

The BFG - I can't find this anywhere or it can't be sent to my location, and the prices at ebay are high.

The Book thief - again, a little high and can't be sent to my location (Greece).

Well it seems almost every non Star Wars and HP OST from 2000-2016 is out of print. I guess Sony will re-release them at some point in the future. Crazy that even 11 year old scores like War Horse or Tintin are no available anymore.

There's basically 0 business incentive for a label to manufacture more CD batches of those releases once their initials ones sell through.  The CD market has completely cratered and I think it still has more to fall.

Well, I just bought Lincoln for €22.16 (including shipping) and The BFG for €35. (both from Discogs)

The Book Thief... remains to be seen.

edit: and just paid for The Book thief,  €43 (incl. shipping)! It was the cheapest I found at ebay.

34 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Well, I just bought Lincoln for €22.16 (including shipping) and The BFG for €35. (both from Discogs)

The Book Thief... remains to be seen.

edit: and just paid for The Book thief,  €43 (incl. shipping)! It was the cheapest I found at ebay.

That's crazy. A few months after they were released you could get them for 10-12 €. I missed Book Thief though and had to buy a used CD of it for a higher price. The Book Thief is very expensive now on almost every platform. Maybe because it was not very popular when released.

They remain in "print" via digital download and streams, of course.

The physical CD format had not been the primary (or secondary) way that major music labels stay in business for well over a decade now 

The only Williams OST (from the 1990s)I don’t have is STEPMOM. And I can still find a ton of those on eBay. Many still sealed. I guess I was waiting for an expansion but I need to pick this up soon.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There's basically 0 business incentive for a label to manufacture more CD batches of those releases once their initials ones sell through.  The CD market has completely cratered and I think it still has more to fall.

Well, if rumors of cassettes becoming popular again can be believed, then I have hope that the CD market won’t fall much further than its present, far-diminished level. Not that it means any label will reissue JW’s OST’s—as Jay said, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Regarding the Fabelmans OST, I feel like anyone wanting a physical copy should definitely act sooner rather than later. For all we know, Sony printed only a minimum number of discs for a soundtrack they would have released digitally if it weren’t a SS/JW collaboration.

• 3 weeks later...