Scream Franchise (1996-present)

JNHFan2000

Since there are sooo many threads about 1 single movie, it surprised me that this series of films doesn't have one. And I really feel it deserves one.

This one of my all time favourjte franchises of all time. I watch these films every year and I'm so happy they are making more!!

I'd say that anything can be said about the films that are already out and once the 6th is out in March, spoilers about that should be hidden.

For now some pics of the new Scream film, with a new trailer coming tomorrow!!!!

https://ew.com/movies/scream-vi-hayden-panettiere-jenna-ortega-first-look/

image.jpeg.jpg

image.jpeg-1.jpg

image.jpeg-2.jpg

image.jpeg-3.jpg

image.jpeg-4.jpg

image.jpeg-5.jpg

My favorite franchise of all time! I love all the movies (yes, even Scream 3 :p ) 

Cant wait to see what they've done for Scream 6! As with Scream 5, I will not watch the trailer before I see the movie. I want to know as little about it as possible cause I totally ruined it for myself with Scream 4 by analyzing everything! Specially the trailer so when I finally saw the movie I felt I had already seen it, lol!

And the score! Specially Marco's work. So amazing! Score wise, my favorite is Scream 3!

I really wish he was back for Scream 5 and 6, but I think Brian Tyler did an OK job. It didnt have the "classic" Scream feel to it, but I really loved the two themes he wrote for the sisters and Dewey / Gale. 

Yeah Tyler's score was great, in parts. The action material I thought was terrific, especially Hospital Visitor (those horns at the end) and Passing The Torch (with some added choir).

I'm so curious to see what they'll do with 6 now that the location is changing again

I like the idea of moving Scream away from town again in the sequel, including minimizing the number of returning legacy characters (even if the reason Campbell isn’t coming back is particularly shitty).  5 leaned a little hard on the nostalgia (which jived with the meta conceit of the movie, but I think they tried to have it both ways a little bit there).  The trailer with all the Ghostfaces on the train was pretty good - a real Ghostface in an outside world where Ghostface is a pop culture icon.  Looking forward to it!

The original Scream is like a Primary Text for my generation coming of age in the late 90s-early 00s.  I group it with Clueless as the two defining teen movies of the era.  The first two sequels are pretty good as those things go.  I kinda hated Scream 4.  Haven't seen the new reboot yet.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Reboot?  What?  Isn't Scream 5 just a normal continuation like anything else?

Well I don't mean reboot like "erasing previous continuity" or whatever.  Reviving the franchise after more than a decade without the involvement of the director and writer that had been the key forces creating the first 4.  I think the word reboot can include that situation in this case.

I also consider TFA to be a reboot/restart/revival/whatever "re-" word you wanna use.

Huh.  I've never heard anyone use reboot in that context before

By the logic you laid out, The Force Awakens would be a reboot of Star Wars, same for Indiana Jones 5

1 minute ago, Jay said:

By the logic you laid out, The Force Awakens would be a reboot of Star Wars, same for Indiana Jones 5

Ha, I edited into my post that I do consider TFA a reboot before I read this.  I don't know what "re-" verb you wanna use.  Reanimating the corpse of a dead franchise?

I dunno man, I feel like you're overcomplicating things.  To me, Scream 5 is just a normal sequel >shrug<

The same amount of time passed between Scream 4 and Scream 5, as passed between Scream 3 and Scream 4, anyway

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno man, I feel like you're overcomplicating things.  To me, Scream 5 is just a normal sequel >shrug<

The same amount of time passed between Scream 4 and Scream 5, as passed between Scream 3 and Scream 4, anyway

Especially for franchises with one or two driving creative forces that are seen as the "auteurs" of the films  (like Scream and Star Wars), it's a long time gap plus the exit of that creator (either through death or retirement or disinterest) that is the key for me to call it a revival/reboot/whatever.   Indy 5 is complicated because Spielberg was actively involved in the development and remains a producer (not sure how active he is in the role on the scale of Poltergeist [heavy involvement] to Transformers 34 [no involvement]).

I'm not really following complex rules for this, I'm just post-justifying my instincts.

Is 14 months one of the shortest gaps between a movie and its sequel where the films weren't shot at the same time like LOTR or Matrix?

Actually, Chamber of Secrets opened 12 months after Sorcerer's Stone didn't it

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is 14 months one of the shortest gaps between a movie and its sequel where the films weren't shot at the same time like LOTR or Matrix?

Actually, Chamber of Secrets opened 12 months after Sorcerer's Stone didn't it

Scream 2 premiered less than a year after the first one ;)

Scream 5 was an abomination. I am horrified that fans of the franchise loved it so much. A Scream movie shouldn’t be a therapy session where you force the audience to help you deal with the problems you had with the Star Wars sequel trilogy. I would hope that’s something we could all agree on. First four movies are about horror movies and then.. Star Wars. Hmm.

The first four movies are incredible (I’m an HUGE fan) and I watch them annually if not more. But that fifth was a stinker. In its way it makes Scream even more of a legitimate horror franchise; Ghostface now has his Jason Takes Manhattan (unless this next one that’s actually set there is even worse.) I could go through it beat by beat and tear it apart but I really don’t need to. The first thing we see our main character doing is choking back pills and another character snarkily asks her “Are those your boner pills?” And she says “You’re my boner pills.”

Dig the first film, I remember all the hooplah it created at the time. Extra focus in Norway on the Munch-inspired masks, of course. Seen the sequels, but it's been a long time, and the only thing I really remember is the one that went really meta, with Lance Henriksen (no. 4?). Beltrami's score, especially for the first and second, was really good; first time I had heard that kind of "delicious darkness" (as I like to call it) since Young's HELLRAISER.

Have seen the first 3 and the fifth one, skipped the fourth (I understand I'm not missing much by having done so). I appreciated there being even scarier things than Courtney Cox's face in the last one, lol.   

Sven Faulconer appears to have worked as an additional composer on a number of James Newton Howard scores, I wonder if he's been brought on board to add some more lyricism and dark deliciousness to the score for VI. I usually don't mind Brian Tyler and there were brief moments in Scream (2022) that I liked but overall it was underwhelming. I am assuming that Marco Beltrami has totally passed on this franchise, which is a shame - the original trilogy are excellent horror scores.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have seen the first 3 and the fifth one, skipped the fourth (I understand I'm not missing much by having done so). I appreciated there being even scarier things than Courtney Cox's face in the last one, lol.   

A character from the fourth one is in 6, so you might want to watch it.

3 hours ago, MattyO said:

I am assuming that Marco Beltrami has totally passed on this franchise, which is a shame - the original trilogy are excellent horror scores.

I don't officially know, but the directors have only worked with Tyler, so I think that's the main reason.

I'm sure Falkouner and Tyler will do the job; the point with the original Beltrami was that no one had heard a score like that before - melodic and atonal simultaneously (and Thor - shut it, Manfredini scores are not that). I liked Scream 5 and continue to endorse the franchise.

And before you fuckers tell me off about Christopher Young etc. about melody and horror - try doing gothic with a harmonica 

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/1/2023 at 5:23 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

The fourth is the best film in the franchise after the first. I would go back.

The fifth is unwatchable.

I don't personally think any of the Scream movies are bad. I'm a big fan of the horror genre and I love how Scream comes along on occassion and comments on the current trends of horror films (and film in general) so I appreciated the latest Scream putting a name to and discussing the "requel" trend. And the new characters were slightly better developed than the ones from Scream 4 (even though I adore all the characters from each film).

Beltrami is certainly missed as a composer but Tyler did a decent job of bringing that magic back (though I would have loved to hear more legacy themes and nuggets in there). My favorite moment from the score is the tense underscoring that accompanies Dylan Minnette's scenes in his house after his shower.

I still haven’t listened to my copy of the score tbh but that was a pretty good scene - so many fakeouts, kind of the horror version of somebody making a joke so many times that it becomes funny again.

I thought Tyler could've indeed used more themes (both Beltrami's and his own), but my favourite sequences are the hospital fight and the final fight. Has some great action music.

Especially the Hospital Fight when Dewey goes back. Those big brass statements when he walks down the hallway and than the fight scene always gives me goosebumps.

I do hope we get a more overarching theme for the sixth film that can be used in different material. The trailer made it look like we have a Ghostface who is a fan of the Ghostfaces who came before, so it would be really cool to have a big menacing theme for that.

Looking forward to this new one, mainly because I've been a fan since the start, but also because of the FINALLY a new setting with a different take.

I like 1, 2 and 3 (1 being great, 2 being good and 3 being okay) 4 was surprisingly good too. The meta elements were fantastic, and the overall set-pieces were fun. 

5 is an absolute dumpster-fire. Bad in pretty much every way. I was so excited to see it as a fan, and boy did it disappoint. 

But still excited for 6.

I saw all Scream movies for the first time last year and I pretty much liked all of them to some degree. Sure, some of them are better than others, but overall I don't think this franchise has made an aggressively bad entry like most slasher series.

And I'm excited for the sixth movie as well - Ghostface Takes Manhattan! What a cool idea! Just don't know when I'll be able to see it though.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

What it is with the hate towards 5?

I love that one!! It's maybe my second favourite

I thought 5 was OK but it was plainly obvious the script was written in such a way they could keep or drop Sidney's character, because they weren't sure if Neve Campbell would sign on. She doesn't have much agency in the plot.

I guess they were lampooning the "let's bring back all the old characters to mentor the next generation" thing that modern Hollywood loves, but it fell a bit flat.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

What it is with the hate towards 5?

I love that one!! It's maybe my second favourite

I thought 4 did a great job bringing back the original cast to be the older 'legacy' characters that the younger generation revered. 

Then 5 did it again, but with more forgettable teens.

And the killer attacking people was worse than ever. By that I mean that the characters just did everything they could to die. No one did anything smart or even remotely common sense. That has always been a problem with slashers, and Scream does literally comment on it in a meta sense, but it was ridiculous in 5 to the point of taking me out of the film.

The very first shot of the main character is her chugging back pills because, you know, foreshadowing. The next character we see asks “Are those your boner pills?”

She says “You’re my boner pills.”

CUT. Alright guys that was perfect, the dialogue couldn’t be better. We have a masterpiece on our hands!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh man. A user of this forum, I'll let him be anonymous, Reported this post with the comment "Offensive against the movie". 

Anonymous user, that's not how this works. We're allowed to say why we don't like a movie on this forum :lol:

People have said far more offensive stuff against movies I like more than Scream 5, and I haven't reported anyone. :pfft: