Thomas Newman's ELEMENTAL (2023)

Jay

So far so Newman. Nah, seriously, I'm looking forward to this one immensely.

I'm one of the biggest Newman apologists alive but even I hope that this is the project to break him out of the rut of rather pedestrian efforts recently. 

That's cool. Newman has always done well in that idiom, obviously for films with an obvious Indian angle (MALALA, MARIGOLD, VIC & ABD etc.), but also various ethnic colours for films that don't particularly have an Indian or ethnic angle. Sounds promising to me.

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

I love Little Women-Shawshank-Joe Black-Finding Nemo-Wall•E-Newman more than ethnic Indian music-Newman.

I agree. To me, stuff like his Marigold Hotel scores or Victoria and Abdul never did much for me. Still, I hope Elemental provides space for "emotional Newman" instead of just "wacky Newman" and "exotic Newman".

On 29/05/2023 at 12:44 AM, Edmilson said:

To me, stuff like his Marigold Hotel scores or Victoria and Abdul never did much for me.

That's a shame. I love classic Newman - probably as much as you do (and I'd love to hear that sort of stuff again) - but I do admire his ability to create so much with so little. His 'quirky' sensibilities still provide a lot of enjoyment, though I admit it's in danger of getting dry before too long. His recent score for A Man Called Otto is probably the most prototypical yet stale Newman score I've heard.

Countering your view, his Marigold Hotel scores are some of my favourites of his recently. He must have had a field day doing them. How can you not love this... makes me want to re-visit India:

I admit I need to revisit the Marigold Hotel scores, since it's been years since I heard them. Perhaps I'll do it this month in preparation for Elemental :lol:.

Still, since the movie is apparently an animated romantic comedy, I hope Newman wrote some romantic material, like in WALL-E:

From the previews released so far I get the feeling that this might be one of those cases where the music will work exceptionally well for the film but one which won't translate too well for a stand-alone listening experience. Love what I am seeing/hearing so far nevertheless.

Samples sound great. I love Newman in this mode.

EDIT:

Really enjoyed the first listen. For the most part, it really is an extension of the Marigold sound, but with some denser production in places. As @Trope mentioned, the production is fabulous; the highlights really prove Newman's ability at layering. Vocal and percussion work is superb.

You can tell he had fun making this. It's very upbeat and vibrant.

Just listened to it and, honestly, I really like it! More than I thought I would. It has the exoticisms of the Marigold scores and it's very much a "modern Newman" score, with echoes of The Help, Saving Mr. Banks, The Judge, some action music from Passengers, etc. Still, the mood it creates is very appealing. 

I guess I like the Marigold scores more than I thought!

A rather insightful interview. Newman mentions that most of the vocals used in this score are heavily processed samples which are then played back on an EWI (electronic wind instrument). Fascinating! So that's how he achieves that beautiful blended vocal and woodwind sound where you can't tell if it's one or the other; turns out it's a bit of both! So cool.

I've sampled it once, and found it very underwhelming. As LSH mentions earlier, it needs a melody. But I'll give it a few more gos.

I skimmed through a few tracks and it's Newman at his most typical - lots of textures, nothing obvious in the way of themes and an album that doesn't do the score any favours.

He must find doing music like this interesting in the context of the film, but I can't imagine watching it and having much impetus after to hear the music separately.

• 4 weeks later...