New Limited Edition Born on the Fourth of July German Blu-ray

mahler3

Very nice! Can you recall anything of note Stone might have said of Williams's music? I never even considered watching the commentary when studying the film for my thesis. Would hate to have missed any interesting insights he might have shared! 

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't quite understand the appeal of isolated score with fx. If you're going down this route at all, why not just the score on its own?

Yeah, I agree.

Maybe they couldn't get the rights for using the music alone though.

And sometimes the score alone doesn't exist, but in this case we know it does since there is that bootleg with the complete music.

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

but in this case we know it does since there is that bootleg with the complete music.

And the bootleg is really good. But too long. I never manage to listen to the whole thing in one go.

I assume a typical "isolated music & fx" track is just made up of the film's actual music & fx track that's also used for dubbing. I.e. they probably don't have to do much editing to put it on a Blu. Whereas going back to the actual score elements and re-creating the music mix (or creating a new one) and edits of the film would be a major effort.

(I don't really know about these things in detail, but I imagine they keep a finished music & fx track for dubbing purposes, but usually not a finished track of just the music?)

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I assume a typical "isolated music & fx" track is just made up of the film's actual music & fx track that's also used for dubbing. I.e. they probably don't have to do much editing to put it on a Blu. Whereas going back to the actual score elements and re-creating the music mix (or creating a new one) and edits of the film would be a major effort.

(I don't really know about these things in detail, but I imagine they keep a finished music & fx track for dubbing purposes, but usually not a finished track of just the music?)

Exactly right all around.

Tbh if this were a film and score I'd seen and liked, I'd probably still pick this up even with fx in the mix, especially if available inexpensively. Even if they can't be used to extract clean music they're still interesting nonetheless. I have half a dozen DVDs with iso scores for no other reason than I vaguely like the film and hearing the music on its own is a novelty.

Annoyingly the most interesting recent one is Breakdown which had a fancy reissued Blu-ray with iso score but it turned out to be expensive to get outside the US.

• 2 weeks later...