John Williams' Film Night at Tanglewood, Aug 2 and 3, 2024

Smeltington

The official onsale is March 19 at 10am EST, but the email I got says "As a previous ticket buyer, you have exclusive access to tickets starting
March 18 at 10 a.m." Something for everyone to be aware of!

That would be a nice change! He loves doing pieces from every single other Indy film, so it seems like ToD might come up again sooner or later. If I got to choose, I'd throw Mine Car Chase in there :) 

44 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

The official onsale is March 19 at 10am EST, but the email I got says "As a previous ticket buyer, you have exclusive access to tickets starting
March 18 at 10 a.m." Something for everyone to be aware of!

Are you given a different link to use or do you just need to log in using your BSO account? I didn't get that email. I might have turned off promo emails.

44 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

would be nice if there was a suite from Temple of Doom, or just anything (goes) from that film since this year is it's 40th anniversary.

that would be so cool

It’s also the 35th anniversary of Last Crusade. 

I feel like Film Night @ Tanglewood has only been 1 night as far back as I can remember

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I feel like Film Night has only been 1 night as far back as I can remember

at tanglewood i think yes, at the actual Symphony Hall (do they do it there anymore?) it was always 2 nights.  so much fun!

Yeah it's too bad we don't get Film Night in both Boston and Tanglewood anymore. When there used to be multiple Film Nights in a row, they were always the same program, from what I can remember. So I guess we all have to pick one this time, or else see the same concert twice. I might just do Friday.

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

I miss the symphony hall concerts. I only traveled from Ireland twice for them but would happily do so again if there was another one.

The concerts are nice, but you cannot hear anything from the lawn seats.  

1 minute ago, Tom said:

The concerts are nice, but you cannot hear anything from the lawn seats.  

Wait really?  I've never gone to Tanglewood (thought about before)....but are they really that bad of 'seats' ?

No, they are a fun time.  Maybe he means some disrespectful sometimes people talk during the show?

18 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Wait really?  I've never gone to Tanglewood (thought about before)....but are they really that bad of 'seats' ?

The lawn seats are good.  I was making a joke about the concerts at Symphony Hall. 

The lawn seats are laid back and good for the whole family. I would recommend the shed, if you were to plan a trip.  The back half of it is not all that much more money.  You have a seat, a roof in the event of rain, and, of course, you are closer to the stage.  

22 hours ago, Smeltington said:

That would be a nice change! He loves doing pieces from every single other Indy film, so it seems like ToD might come up again sooner or later. If I got to choose, I'd throw Mine Car Chase in there :) 

Parade of the Slave Children is SUCH a powerhouse!

It probably would not change things, but if you emailed BSO about TOD's anniversary, and the fittingness of it being performed, they might pass that along.  I doubt Williams remembers these anniversaries so precisely.  

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

If we got anything from ToD, it would probably be that! And I'd be excited for it!

Great profile pic, btw! :D

I wonder if more people can make it on a Saturday and therefore chances of getting good seats are better on a Friday?

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to know what typical prices are for various sections in the shed? Want to have an idea of what I'm needing to have ready before the tickets go on sale on the 19th. So excited! Has always been a bucket list dream for me and now my daughter (piano student, music lover, and huge Star Wars fan) is also dying to see him. So this will be exciting for us. Thanks in advance!

Last year I spent $65.50 per ticket, including fees, to sit in section 20. I recommend the shed, and not the lawn, if you want to see the stage. And buy your tickets right at the onsale time, because they usually sell pretty fast.

Excited for you!

If it's like last year, then even if you miss out on the initial ticket sale, more will trickle out (in all price categories) right up until the week of the concert.

If I was to do it again, and I wasn't offered a good seat on that first day, I'd wait patiently for a better one.

On 01/02/2024 at 6:02 PM, Bellosh said:

So when I remembered the tickets went on sale, I was too late to get a seat so I opted for a lawn seat. However, getting closer to the date I wasn't sure how the view was going to be, so taking other peoples advice I waited and checked and rechecked for seats and found some available, called the BSO, and was able to transfer my ticket to another ticket and got an actual seat, and just paid the upcharge, and I'm glad I did, because the second picture is the view from my seat and the first picture is when I got there and was walking around, and I'm sure the sound was good but the view is terrible if you don't get there early enough and are far away in the back. If you zoom in, you can just barely see the stage. Also, the traffic on that one lane road leading up to the venue was awful, I sat in it for a long while, so if you are going keep that in mind.

On 14/03/2024 at 9:37 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

f it's like last year, then even if you miss out on the initial ticket sale, more will trickle out (in all price categories) right up until the week of the concert.

If I was to do it again, and I wasn't offered a good seat on that first day, I'd wait patiently for a better one.

Yes yes yes!! Jay even got a really good seat the day of, I remember.

2.jpg

1.jpg

@Brando holy smokes yeah that's definitely a huge difference.  thanks my dude!  i think you just convinced me out of the lawn.

with something like this....where it is ACTUALLY John Williams there, and not just his music, it's worth it to me to see him.

and don't get me started on Massachusetts traffic of any kind ROTFLMAO

I almost didn't go into this thread but I was like maybe I'll look and then I saw your question and I was like let me see if I have pics because I was on my phone with my wife while I was walking around and I told her I was really glad I waited and called because I would've been disappointed. Also, if you do wait around after the concert(best to wait also due to the mass exit), you might get to see JW whisked away via golf cart. Had I had my phone ready I would've gotten a video but I was within 20 feet of him watching him being driven away to his vehicle haha.

7 minutes ago, Brando said:

I almost didn't go into this thread but I was like maybe I'll look and then I saw your question and I was like let me see if I have pics because I was on my phone with my wife while I was walking around and I told her I was really glad I waited and called because I would've been disappointed. Also, if you do wait around after the concert(best to wait also due to the mass exit), you might get to see JW whisked away via golf cart. Had I had my phone ready I would've gotten a video but I was within 20 feet of him watching him being driven away to his vehicle haha.

do you know what section you were in?? :

https://dgpuo8cwvztoe.cloudfront.net/uploads/Venues/Koussevitzky-Music-Shed/Seating-Charts/TWD18_Shed_Map-No-Side-Chairs.pdf

15 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I think it was in 12, a few rows behind the sound 'booth' (and Shawn Murphy!). Now, when I called, I found a better seat that was a lot closer for like $70, and I added it to the cart so I could hold it, but when I spoke to the agent, she said there was one available in section 12 and so I stupidly backed out and then the better seat disappeared. So I went ahead and bought the one she found for me in 12. I wish I should've said oh hey I found such and such seat over here but I second guessed myself and thought it was gone for good. But hey, it was better than the lawn!

1 minute ago, Brando said:

I think it was in 12, a few rows behind the sound 'booth' (and Shawn Murphy!). Now, when I called, I found a better seat that was a lot closer for like $70, and I added it to the cart so I could hold it, but when I spoke to the agent, she said there was one available in section 12 and so I stupidly backed out and then the better seat disappeared. So I went ahead and bought the one she found for me in 12. I wish I should've said oh hey I found such and such seat over here but I second guessed myself and thought it was gone for good. But hey, it was better than the lawn!

thanks again, i'll see what sections 4-7 go for on Tuesday, but i think i'm gonna treat myself with this one.

Just now, Bellosh said:

thanks again, i'll see what sections 4-7 go for on Tuesday, but i think i'm gonna treat myself with this one.

IIRC, that good seat I found was in section 7 but then disappeared after I backed out of the screen. Also, set an alarm or make sure you remember when tickets go on sale because they'll go fast. Somehow I forgot at work until maybe half an hour or so after the fact I think and by then they were mostly gone I think. But if you do miss it, just wait because more seats will pop up, if you go into last years thread, you can find people letting everyone know a few more popped up leading up to the day of.

1 minute ago, Brando said:

IIRC, that good seat I found was in section 7 but then disappeared after I backed out of the screen. Also, set an alarm or make sure you remember when tickets go on sale because they'll go fast. Somehow I forgot at work until maybe half an hour or so after the fact I think and by then they were mostly gone I think. But if you do miss it, just wait because more seats will pop up, if you go into last years thread, you can find people letting everyone know a few more popped up leading up to the day of.

the classic seat disappearing!  god do i know that pain!

BSO completely redesigned their website so I do believe Tuesday will be smooth sailing!

1 hour ago, Brando said:

Also, the traffic on that one lane road leading up to the venue was awful, I sat in it for a long while, so if you are going keep that in mind.

I recommend arriving early anyway so you can walk the grounds a bit before they close some time before the concert. They're magical.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

So are we expecting the two shows to be the same thing or should I book the time to go to both nights if I can make it happen?

In my experience at symphony hall film nights, not Tanglewood, the program maybe had one different cue. And that's really it.  I always assumed Tanglewood was the same.

But I don't think you're ever really missing any deep cuts with these as well.

I think I want to do the Friday show. But then again Saturday might work better.

If y'all wanna meet me I'd love to say hello!

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Welcome to Saturday at Tanglewood.  After performing so many of my older, rarely performed pieces last night, I thought that for tonight we would play the Throne Room and End Credits on repeat for two hours.  

*hears faint whispers in the crowd as it starts*

"this is star wars right?"

"yeah i think, check the program"

----------

i went to a symphony hall once for the music of star wars and more by John Williams....i was like

its late, lets get outta here and beat the rush (we were last row, end seats...perfect getaway)

she was like, "but what about the possible encore?"

i was like...

do you know how many times i've heard The Imperial March live? 

giphy.gif