The Mandalorian & Grogu (2026 Film)

50 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Dawn of the Jedi is the one that looks more interesting to me.

If it's really Mangold who directs 'Dawn of the Jedi,' it completely bursts my bubble. It will be a film made by a pretty basic straight guy, for basic straight guys*, without any magic or poetry. I mean, you understand... It will be raw and violent... and forgettable. I dreamed of something better for this period of the Star Wars Universe that interests me a lot.

* This is my way of contrasting directing styles like those of Lucas or Spielberg, who yes, are straight, but who have a sensitivity that can also be feminine and childlike. Mangold is I think incapable of that.

50 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I still think that this Filoniverse movie will be moved to D+ and become a minisseries.

I think we’ll be seeing Disney move away from streaming content in a big way - at least cinematic big-budget stuff.  A ton less, with more focus on the big screen.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think we’ll be seeing Disney move away from streaming content in a big way - at least cinematic big-budget stuff.  A ton less, with more focus on the big screen.

That would be wise.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I may be wrong, but I think this is kind of a risky bet for Disney at the box office. I don't think there haven't been many theatrically-released movies based on TV shows that until recently were airing episodes that have been hugely successful at the box office.

The only ones I can remember are The X-Files: Fight the Future (which was released between seasons five and six of the show and grossed $189 million on a $66 million budget) and the 2019 Downton Abbey movie (released four years after the series ended and grossed $195 million on a $20 million budget). 

All of them were moderately successful but not the kind of Star Wars money that Disney surely wants. So they'll have to make the movie appealing also to people who haven't seen the show.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Slayer:_Kimetsu_no_Yaiba_–_The_Movie:_Mugen_Train

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

The Filoniverse requires a big buy-in.

They're going to have to find a way to make this movie accessible to a general public that isn't subscribed to Disney+ and has maybe never seen The Mandalorian before. It's going to need to be a self-contained story that doesn't lean too much on what happened previously.

1 minute ago, Fargo said:

It’s gonna need a dang name change, or else Flop City

"Adventures in Baby Yoda-sitting"?

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

Even a change as simple as "Grogu and the Mandalorian" already makes it feel and roll much better.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Dawn of the Jedi is the one that looks more interesting to me. 

Really? To me it seems like the biggest disaster waiting to happen.

16 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Even a bad Star War has got to be worth taking in once, in the theater.

How low has Star Wars fallen when people think like that (with good reason). 
It used to be a sociocultural event whenever a new SW film was released. 

14 hours ago, Fargo said:

They should just call it “The Mandalorian”. Or simply “Mandalorian”.

5 hours ago, JTW said:

“The Mandalorian”. Or simply “Mandalorian”.

This is a bit of a pet peeve, but I think the definitive article makes titles sound better. I never understood why it was "Return of the Jedi" and not "The Return of the Jedi." I mean, its "THE Empire Strikes Back" after all! Much better!

28 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I never understood why it was "Return of the Jedi" and not "The Return of the Jedi."

Or why not “The Revenge of the Sith” and “The Attack of the Clones”, if it’s “The Phantom Menace”.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

They should just call it “The Mandalorian”. Or simply “Mandalorian”.

It worked before:

Logan | Rotten Tomatoes

11 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

This is anime, it plays by different rules. As far as I know, there has been a lot of theatrically released movies based on successful TV animes, but not many series have made the migration to the big screen, especially when it's still airing or a few years after.

40 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This is anime, it plays by different rules. As far as I know, there has been a lot of theatrically released movies based on successful TV animes, but not many series have made the migration to the big screen, especially when it's still airing or a few years after.

That's fair; but this one is special because it was a theatrical continuation of the show - most anime movies are silly non-canon adventures that have no bearing on the plot.

So being a theatrical continuation of the show it's really not that different from the Mandalorian movie except perhaps for target audience. 

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It worked before:

Logan | Rotten Tomatoes

Nah, I would've preferred "The Logan". :lol:

They could also save "the" for a sequel or reboot, à la "The Batman" or "The Predator"...

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Star Wars Origins: Mandalorian

The Mandalorian

Djarin

"Djarin" is cool-sounding, but it wouldn't ring a bell with a general audience. But many people who don't watch "The Mandalorian" are probably at least familiar with the name—so for the sake of recognition, the title should include "Mandalorian" in it.

They could just go the "Rogue One" route and call it "The Mandalorian: A Star Wars Story"...

Adding "Grogu" just seems like a marketing move to bring in the kiddies and all the girls who "Awww!" whenever he's on screen. I know a few of the latter. lol

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Adding "Grogu" just seems like a marketing move to bring in the kiddies and all the girls who "Awww!" whenever he's on screen. I know a few of the latter. lol

I'm sure it's not NOT that. But it's also expanding the title and including a character who is certainly a co-star. Kind of like Ant-Man and The Wasp.

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm sure it's not NOT that. But it's also expanding the title and including a character who is certainly a co-star. Kind of like Ant-Man and The Wasp.

... or Cheech & Chong!

35 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I dunno, in my head I keep coming back to "The Mandalorian" as a short, strong title that says what it needs to say. Yeah, it sounds completely unoriginal since that's what the series is called, but adding "and Grogu" just sounds goofy to me. Anyway, I hope they worry about making a good movie instead of fussing over the title like us!

The Baby Yoda Movie.
Kids and “he vadered!” shills would love it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...