Your Favourite Jerry Goldsmith Score

JTN

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps I'll unwrap them one day.

Please do!

Just now, JTN said:

Please do! Also, listen to them. ;)

I usually cite The Final Conflict, and it's definitely one of my favourites, with at least two of Goldsmith's most brilliant cues (The Monastery and The Hunt), amidst several other standouts. It's not necessarily my top favourite all the way through though, because it has its share of dull moments (I don't think any of the extended stuff before the finale ever really managed to catch my attention). In that regard, other favourites like Total Recall, AlienPoltergeist, and The Mummy fare better (interestingly, I also always thought the densely romantic stuff before STTMP's climax drags a bit, although I adore the drawn out mystery music in the middle of the score).

My favourite underdog is Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend. It belongs to Goldsmith's sacred action triptych together with Total Recall and Rambo 2, but unlike those never gets the attention it deserves.

Like Master @Thor, I also pick THE MUMMY as my favourite JG score. Every time I listen to it, some awesome new detail catches my attention, and the score - to me - gets better and better over time and with each listening. This has got to be Maestro Goldsmith's late masterpiece, one of his very best, and my personal favourite of his œuvres.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My favourite underdog is Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend

Wow, I've never heard of this score. Thanks for the recommendation, Mar.

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Final Conflict

It's one of my favourite JG scores, with a very good The Hunt, but it should have more cues like that (or a longer hunt).

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

It's one of my favourite JG scores, with a very good The Hunt, but it should have more cues like that (or a longer hunt).

What is your favourite JG score?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not into ranking stuff, so I can't really answer that.

Rankings rule!

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Rankings rule!

Life's too short.

3 minutes ago, JTN said:

Fair enough. :)

All I can say is Stephen Oliver's The Hunt is the best.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

All I can say is Stephen Oliver's The Hunt is the best.

That’s not a JG score, is it? :)

Last time you said Lady Jane was the best. ;)

20 minutes ago, JTN said:

Wow, I've never heard of this score. Thanks for the recommendation, Mar.

Half of it is bumbling sacharine synth music (I presume for the dino family), in the vein of Legend, though not on that level. It can be a bit much, though at least some of it is nice enough and I generally don't mind it. But when the score goes into action mode, it rocks. Horner took one of its action counterpoints as a theme for Braveheart.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Hunt is the opening of the Lady Jane soundtrack. :)

Wow, then you’re not only not talking about your favourite JG score, but your favourite score.
:D

And yes, I did get Lady Jane upon your recommendation, but I didn’t memorize the cue names. :D

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not into ranking stuff, so I can't really answer that.

High five!

This stuff is just too unquantifiable and even changes over time or depending on your mood.

From all his scores that I tried, I liked these ones enough to buy: Seconds, Planet of the Apes (also own Escape because of the LLL box, it's not bad but I'm not sure I'd have bought it if they were sold separately), Logan's Run, Alien, STTMP, Legend, The Ghost and the Darkness, and The Mummy. From these, I could probably whittle down the absolute love favourites to... Planet of the Apes, Alien and Legend maybe?

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But when the score goes into action mode, it rocks. Horner took one of its action counterpoints as a theme for Braveheart.

You had me at “sacred action tryptich”. :D

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Legend

LEGEND is a fricking Masterpiece!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Planet of the Apes

I'd consider purchasing this if it got a separate release, but don't tell Naive Old Fart.

3 minutes ago, JTN said:

Wow, then you’re not only not talking about your favourite JG score, but your favourite score.

I don't think it's my favourite score, but we'll never know as I'm not into ranking.

What do you think about it?

I listened into track 1 and loved it, but then I had to do something and turned it off, and haven’t returned to it since. I will put it on in the near future, because everything you’ve recommended to me so far were all excellent music. So Lady Jane will soon return to my living room.

1 minute ago, JTN said:

everything you’ve recommended to me so far were all excellent music. So Lady Jane will soon return to my living room.

That's great. I don't see the point of recommending bad music.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's great. I don't see the point of recommending bad music.

That wouldn’t be too nice, I agree. 

23 minutes ago, JTN said:

I listened into track 1 and loved it, but then I had to do something and turned it off, and haven’t returned to it since. I will put it on in the near future, because everything you’ve recommended to me so far were all excellent music. So Lady Jane will soon return to my living room.

Track 1 is The Hunt, so according to Shark, you've already heard the best part.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Track 1 is The Hunt, so according to Shark, you've already heard the best part.

That would be an OST too short for even @Thor

45 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Half of it is bumbling sacharine synth music (I presume for the dino family), in the vein of Legend, though not on that level. It can be a bit much, though at least some of it is nice enough and I generally don't mind it. But when the score goes into action mode, it rocks. Horner took one of its action counterpoints as a theme for Braveheart.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's some great choral stuff towards the end, among many highlights. 

Guys, you’re spoiling me with all this great music, thanks. :)

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Short, yes, but sheer perfection:

Or if you prefer the more intimate sounding original recording rather than the amazing London Symphony Orchestra recording from 1989…

Yavar

Sublime!

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

One of my fondest memories from my early days as a film music fan was when I discovered on YouTube the footage of John Williams conducting Goldsmith's Trek theme.

You mean this one? This is fantastic. Too bad JG couldn’t live to see/hear it. How big of JW to pay tribute to his fellow film music titan.

Two quotes from the comment section:

”Jerry Goldsmith once got a question at a concert about the other great composers that he liked. His answer was: “You mean apart from John Williams?”

“John Williams in return said about Goldsmith, "He was the golden boy. We used to call him Gorgeous. He had a freshness, and his music had freshness".

20 minutes ago, JTN said:

You mean this one? This is fantastic. Too bad JG couldn’t live to see/hear it. How big of JW to pay tribute to his fellow film music titan.

Williams recorded the STTMP main title (and the Alien closing title) with the Pops in 1983. So Goldsmith might well have heard at least that version. I imagine he's probably also conducted it at Tanglewood at some point between that time and Goldsmith's death.

That recording is quite disappointing, though. 

Williams purposefully conducted it like that. ;)

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Short, yes, but sheer perfection:

Or if you prefer the more intimate sounding original recording rather than the amazing London Symphony Orchestra recording from 1989…

Yavar

Interesting. Listening to the first four notes of that horn melody in the beginning, it reminded me of someting from John Williams.

But it is just an effect that Williams used later in some pieces like "Immigration and Building" (four note trumpet motif opening) or "Song for World Peace"  (four note horn motif opening).

The notes are always different and Goldsmith actually has an eight notes motif here. Still similar pattern.

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I don't know how someone who claimed to "not understand" Star Trek could have written a theme so absolutely perfect for it.

That's exactly why the theme is so good.

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

obviously a joke

Right...

4 hours ago, JTN said:

Please do!

Nah, then I'll get less for them on Discogs. 

;)

25 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:
  • Papillon (Jerry does Debussy and another example of his exemplary skill as a tunesmith, the main theme is as haunting as any committed to film)

Wonderful score. I listened to the 2017 (or 18? I dunno) expansion a lot back when it came out.

26 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Wind and the Lion

This one is also great. Goldemith's best "epic" score.

Also, there's The 13th Warrior, which is also Jerry in his "Arabian epic" mode. I might like this one a little bit more than The Mummy.

I'm trying to think of some context, to flesh out my previous answer, but it's difficult.

As I've said in another thread, I probably discovered Goldsmith between 1990-1993. Then I got my first full soundtrack CD with CONGO in 1995 (temporarily). By the time THE MUMMY came around in 1999, I was already a Goldsmith fan of sorts. Had several of his themes on compilations, and maybe a handful of CDs. I can't remember which ones, though. I remember loving the film when it came out (I still do -- Sommers is a master of B movie tropes, heightened to A level!), but I think I got the CD independently of that. I didn't rush out to get the CD after I've seen the film. As always, film viewing and soundtrack listening are two completely different experiences for me.

But I picked it up. I lived in Oslo then, having moved away from home in 1996. After spending 1998 in the army, I was back in my tiny Oslo room in 1999, sharing a flat with two other people. I either got it in a record store, or online. But as I also said in the other thread, I remember BLASTING the score with loud volume that summer, with windows open and no doubt annoying people passing by down on the street (and the neighbours!). Especially "The Night Boarders", which I played over and over.

If I had been introduced to THE MUMMY today, I wouldn't have liked it as much. My taste these days veers towards other things. But it came at the exact right time -- a restless 22-year-old craving rambunctious orchestral action music. And so it's stuck in my DNA, and remains my favourite 25 years later.

12 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Rankings are only my fourth favorite thing.

It's boring but I don't see how I can go with anything other than Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Front to back, top to bottom.

There are other Jerry scores I love, but nothing else really comes close.

I think I might have a slightly harder time with Williams. But I might like Star Trek: The Motion Picture more than those, too. (Maybe.)

What IS this? Other than gorgeous?

The Agony and the Ecstasy is by Alex North.