Star Wars Alternate Takes Thread

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Do the 1993 / 2018 sets match the original 1977 LP?

I didn't include the 1977 set in my comparisons since the entire set is a completely different mix from the ground up, so it neither looks nor sounds like the film or any other set.

That said the 1977 and 2018 have identical programs. The 1993's program is loosely based on the 1977 set but with some microedits restored and with a more chronological order 

One thing I noticed is the "Detention Block Ambush" portion of the "The Last Battle", from about 1:00 to the end of it (when Han tries to stall the troopers from the radio, and Lukes rushes to the Princess' cell to rescue her and delivers the memorable line "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you!), a different take was used on the '77 album that is not present on the '93 Anthology nor the '97 SE. According to the booklet, takes 150 to 154 were recorded, and takes 153 and 154 were selected (which I assume are the takes used to create both the film mix and the 97 SE as well). The curious thing is that the 2018 dismaster did not replicate that unique take of the '77 album, so it remains exclusive to the album (and the 2016 re-release of it).

25 minutes ago, phbart said:

One thing I noticed is the "Detention Block Ambush" portion of the "The Last Battle", from about 1:00 to the end of it (when Han tries to stall the troopers from the radio, and Lukes rushes to the Princess' cell to rescue her and delivers the memorable line "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you!), a different take was used on the '77 album that is not present on the '93 Anthology nor the '97 SE. According to the booklet, takes 150 to 154 were recorded, and takes 153 and 154 were selected (which I assume are the takes used to create both the film mix and the 97 SE as well). The curious thing is that the 2018 dismaster did not replicate that unique take of the '77 album, so it remains exclusive to the album (and the 2016 re-release of it).

Is it at least the same on the 198x CD?

25 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Is it at least the same on the 198x CD?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the 1980s CD release... it's the same.

34 minutes ago, phbart said:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the 1980s CD release... it's the same.

I know it's got the little "whine" at the beginning of The Princess Appears. I miss that!

Either they screwed up the mix or used the wrong take at 1:03 here, when they demastered AOTC. Compare the horns/percussion:

2002 OST:

2018 Demaster:

This probably counts as an alternate mix but there's all kinds of bizarre differences between OST and Demaster version of Augie's Great Municipal Band:

OST:

Demaster:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

This probably counts as an alternate mix but there's all kinds of bizarre differences between OST and Demaster version of Augie's Great Municipal Band:

OST:

Demaster:

Wow yeah I'd never actually listened to the 2018 version of this. The OST mix is bad enough it's impressive how much worse they managed to make it

I'm very glad for the film mix 

On the topic of The Phantom Menace 2018 Demaster, there are several incorrect takes that plague that release. Duel of the Fates is far and away (see what I did there) Williams' most popular track on Spotify, and the 2018 release includes a portion of a take which is different to the original 1999 OST at 2:55 (listen to the trumpet/s):

This segment with the ascending trumpet as heard on the 2018 Demaster was actually used in the film, and hence appears on this track from the Ultimate Edition release at 0:18:

BTW this is such a great thread and I'm learning new things already! Excited to uncover all these little details, and HOPEFULLY one day we will get definitive, complete releases for these incredible scores. Please, oh, please release them before the collapse of the Australian economy!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I feel so unnerdy reading this stuff. I just nod politely. "I'm sure they know what they're talking about." 

Gaining the ability to discern incorrect takes, without having the ability to properly correct them from the source, isn't as fun as it sounds.

If you can't tell them apart, then you're free to enjoy the score through whichever version of any given track you like the most. :)

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

Either they screwed up the mix or used the wrong take at 1:03 here, when they demastered AOTC. Compare the horns/percussion:

2002 OST:

2018 Demaster:

This is the segue between 1m6 Zam's Dirty Trick and 1m7a Zam Chase Pt. 1 which is aligned slightly differently on the 2018. There aren't any horns playing it this point - just bones and tuba.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more alternate takes I found today:

The entire film take of 3m1 The Princess Appears is completely unreleased; all 3 albums (the 1993/1997/2018) feature the same wrong take.

3m4-4m1 The Sandman Attacks has the wrong take for the opening on the 1997 set, specifically for the part that was previously unreleased and isn't on the other two albums. The parts that are released on all 3 are the same as the film take