What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

*There's a music change in this film too.  Has anyone spotted it?

There was tracked music in the scene where Luke is in the bacta tank. I'm pretty positive that it wasn't there before. It sounded like it was from a Dagobah cue.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this afternoon: THX-1138, back when George Lucas had creative inspiration.

Which one, Lotman? The original or the 2004 cut? These days when talking about a Lucas movie you have to specify which version.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The original version on Widescreen VHS from the UK. I haven't seen the 2004 cut yet, the DVD should come out here this month I believe. Has anyone seen the new version? Is it any good? Many changes?

The music in the Bacta tank scene is tracked from Luke's Escape, and has always been there. The change I'm talking about is so ridiculously miniscule and pedantic that I'll be amazed if anyone spots it. ;)

Stargate. High-profile pulp.

What happened to this movie? The third act feels really chopped up. Like they had to cut out half the battle scenes. It's as if they ran out of budget two-thirds into filming this movie and they just had to cut down on the finale.

Fun nonetheless, though.

I?m in the middle of Seven Years in Tibet right now. I hadn?t seen this movie since 1997, back in theatres, so I barely remember anything from it. So far, it?s just okay. The pacing is very wrong, as is the editing and the dialogue. The direction is just average, I?d expect much more from Annaud, although most of his films are a concatenation of anecdotes, more than a simple whole. The cinematography is beautiful, in any case. Virtually unknown Robert Fraisse did an excellent, truly masterful job here.

One of the things I hate the most is how the music is represented, at least in my 1998 VHS copy. It?s far too low and drowned by mountain sound effects such as wind and climbing footsteps. And with all the great ?travelling music? the album (one my favorites from Williams), I?m very disappointed that, at least for the half of the movie I?ve seen so far (Harrer just arrived to Lhana), all we get are a lot of chunky edits featuring the mountain theme and nothing else. I hope that, as the movie gets more intimate in this other half, the rest of the more quiet, reflexive music shows up.

-Ross, who wrote this exact post yesterday and was erased due to log in problems in his computer at college.

The music in the Bacta tank scene is tracked from Luke's Escape, and has always been there.  The change I'm talking about is so ridiculously miniscule and pedantic that I'll be amazed if anyone spots it.  :mrgreen:

It has? :oops:

Well, I'm stumped then. And I watched the movie after seeing your previous post and was looking for a music change. LOL

I?m in the middle of Seven Years in Tibet right now. I hadn?t seen this movie since 1997, back in theatres, so I barely remember anything from it. So far, it?s just okay. The pacing is very wrong, as is the editing and the dialogue. The direction is just average, I?d expect much more from Annaud, although most of his films are a concatenation of anecdotes, more than a simple whole. The cinematography is beautiful, in any case. Virtually unknown Robert Fraisse did an excellent, truly masterful job here.

One of the things I hate the most is how the music is represented, at least in my 1998 VHS copy. It?s far too low and drowned by mountain sound effects such as wind and climbing footsteps. And with all the great ?travelling music? the album (one my favorites from Williams), I?m very disappointed that, at least for the half of the movie I?ve seen so far (Harrer just arrived to Lhana), all we get are a lot of chunky edits featuring the mountain theme and nothing else. I hope that, as the movie gets more intimate in this other half, the rest of the more quiet, reflexive music shows up.

-Ross, who wrote this exact post yesterday and was erased due to log in problems in his computer at college.

IMO it's a star vehicle that had some talented people working on it. I really disliked the movie, the music was usualy very low.

The music in the Bacta tank scene is tracked from Luke's Escape, and has always been there.  The change I'm talking about is so ridiculously miniscule and pedantic that I'll be amazed if anyone spots it.  :mrgreen:

I thoght I detected a missing note at one point.

Neil

Finished watching Barry Lyndon. Great movie. Kubrick is so amazing. They say you either are or you aren't, I am DEFINATLY a huge Kubrick fan. A genious, IMO the most unique filmmaker in history.

Just finished the Season Premire of Smallville. I missed the first 15 minutes sadly but what I caught was interesting. I'll be checking out next week's episode. :mrgreen:

Justin

Finished watching Barry Lyndon. Great movie. Kubrick is so amazing. They say you either are or you aren't, I am DEFINATLY a huge Kubrick fan. A genious, IMO the most unique filmmaker in history.

I still haven't watched my copy of Barry Lyndon, although I'm kinda looking forward to it. It's really been a while. I don't remember anything except that the script was more humorous than I had anticipated and that there was no artificial lighting used in this film (interior scenes were only lighted with natural candlelight and were shot with a special hypersensitive lens developed for NASA). I hope the restoration is as good as 2001's.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Just finished the Season Premire of Smallville. I missed the first 15 minutes sadly but what I caught was interesting. I'll be checking out next week's episode. :P

Justin

Good... good...

Just finished the Season Premire of Smallville. I missed the first 15 minutes sadly but what I caught was interesting. I'll be checking out next week's episode.

Good... good...

You'll eat it right up sweetie pie. ROTFLMAO

Justin - Who wants to see that first 15 minutes, dang it!

Justin, on October 4, ABC's Family Channel will start showing Smallville from the beginning, every M-F, don't know the time so check your local tv guide.

well, i just recently joined, this will be my first post...the last movie i watched was 'man on fire' which opened up here yesterday, it was worth the wait in my opinion, i love tony scott puts it all together, and being a nin fan i liked the deconstruction of some familiar tracks throughout the movie, but the breathtaker was the unexpected appearance of lisa gerrard's voice on the score, i do have harry gregson-williams score but i haven't been able to hear it yet, so i did know not my beloved lisa was a guest vocalist...haunting as usual....

ABC's Family Channel is that diffrent from regular ABC? If so I don't get it.

Justin - A victim of basic cable. 8O

you don't have the Family channel as part of basic cable? Is Ohio stuck in the middle ages :)

I just got back from Touching the Void.

I'm still taking it all in. The sheer force of nature displayed here against these people. The determination to live, or at least to not die alone, from the climbers. The most interesting film I've seen all year.

- Marc

Sky Captain and The World of Tommorow

I saw it on a whim. Meaning I was just bored on a saturday afternoon. I remembered the previews looking promising, jumped in the car and went and saw it.

On a whole I enjoyed it. But I was still dissapointed. The first half of the movie is really just great. The Robot Invasion is a freaking awesome sequence and the film really gives you that old Superman cartoon feel to it. The film's pace a structure seems a little rushed. The whole movies a little short but that's not a huge deal.

Up to the point where Dex is kidnapped the film really succeds as a fun invasion movie. Once our characters go to Nepal the film slows and down and generally declines. It doesn't really get bad. It's just a little too cliched. And just a hair over the top for me. This worked in Raiders because the story was so great and the action was so spectacular. With Sky Captain after that second half mark the film just ends up being a Bond movie.

The acting also struggles intensly throughout. Paltrow, while hot and sexy, seems fairly flat delivery some of her lines. The lines are a little cliche as well. Jude Law is acceptable as the role of "Joe" Sky Captain. I'll still take Harry Ford or Viggo "He-was-in-lotr-therefore-he-sucks" Mortenson over him anyday. Angelina Jolie's "Starring" role in the film was more like a 20 minutes cameo as someone nobody really cares about. Her Brittish accent is more forced that usually and really grates the nerves after a while.

Like I said the first half is great and worth the price of admission. The whole movie is entertaining although the second half tends to apeal the the brainless side of action more than intelligence. Shearmur's score on a whole is good but it seems like it could have been more. An enjoyable film but far from a classic.

**1/2 - ****

Justin - Who thinks for going to a movie on a whim he succeded quite well. :baaa:

Sounds like it's part of the wave of films like The Village or Hero. Amazing looking, great music, but doesn't amount to very much. Nothing that you'll leave the theater with (at least nothing directly related to the movie). Great craftsmanship, but ultimately hollow. I don't know what's worse- having films that are bad in every way, including stylisticly, or films that are great stylisticly but sum up to very little. At least with the all around bad ones, people knew they were bad. People come out of these good looking hollow movies thinking they saw a great movie.

Saw Sky Captain and really liked it. I especially liked the rapport between Paltrow and Law, Jolie was great, and I loved the old-time feel of it. Fun score too.

Ray Barnsbury-who thinks this post is funny after Morlock's last sentence

Sounds like it's part of the wave of films like The Village or Hero. Amazing looking, great music, but doesn't amount to very much. Nothing that you'll leave the theater with (at least nothing directly related to the movie). Great craftsmanship, but ultimately hollow. I don't know what's worse- having films that are bad in every way, including stylisticly, or films that are great stylisticly but sum up to very little. At least with the all around bad ones, people knew they were bad. People come out of these good looking hollow movies thinking they saw a great movie.

That right! Knowing M. Night Shyamalan, The Village will pretend to be much more than just good-looking, and due to his style average movie-goers will think it's another profound movie.

At least, one can buy Hero and put it on for "decoration", just as if one bought a painting or a fish tank.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Watched Vertigo. Pretty good, but definitely not Hitchcock's best. I cheered, rewound and cheered again when I saw uncle Alfred walking by. :baaa:

The rooftop chase was pretty cool. Apparently, the Wachowski brothers thought so too. And the judge at the small trial after Madeline's "suicide" talked just like Agent Smith. All of a sudden, this scene becomes hilarious. All you have to do is imagine Hugo Weaving sitting there wearing his sunglasses. :sigh:

- Marc

Well, I *did* find The Village to be much more than just good-looking. I don't understand why stylish films are automatically assumed to be hollow, or slow films for that matter...and Village certainly is both.

Marian - who wants to see it again.

Well, I *did* find The Village to be much more than just good-looking. I don't understand why stylish films are automatically assumed to be hollow, or slow films for that matter...and Village certainly is both.

I don't automatically assume that. It' just that people, because of his style, automatically assume that "Shyamalan" = "profound". That's all. Shyamalan can give the false impression that what he's filming is oh-so-important.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Not yet (don't know if I ever will) but again ... knowing M. Night Shyamalan, The Village will pretend to be much more than just good-looking, and due to his style, average movie-goers will think it's another profound movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Pleasantville. Very nice. A visual joy, and an excellent cast.

Very good movie. Lovely score.

I always assume stylish films to be innocent until proven guilty. These 3 films I listed I went in intending on loving, and I did love them a lot of hte way into them, but in the end, being sorely dissapointed. The Village fails on a number of levels, but two basic ones especialy. The movie gets to it's basic point very quickly (or it gets to a point, I don't what the movie's trying to say), then doesn't dig deeper into it, and just leaves it hanging for the twist ending. And the twist was so unsatisfying at a basic entertainment level (By the end I gave up hope for the movie to work on any other level), it was too vague, not done well, left unanswered questions. The movie didn't dot the i's or cross the t's. In the end, the stars of the movie are Williams Hurt, who IMO is great almost everywhere, and was very good here, Roger Deakins, the greatest cinematographer working today, and James Newton Howard, with his beautiful score. I wish someone would take the cast and crew and make something good out of it. I could imagine an awesome murder mystery set there.

I personaly suggest, assuming others are interested, to start a thread that's specififacly spoiler full about the movie. The movie raises some interesting discussions.

Not yet (don't know if I ever will) but again ... knowing M. Night Shyamalan, The Village will pretend to be much more than just good-looking, and due to his style, average movie-goers will think it's another profound movie.  

----------------

Alex Cremers

There he goes again folks, passing judgement on something he is completely ignorant about.

Yes, to be fair Alex, though Shyamalan is incredibly arrogant and pretecious in person, his films are not. He hits and misses. This time, it was a total miss. However with Signs, I think it was a total hit. This is a filmmaker that at the very least deserves his films to be seen before passing judgment. IMO Sixth Sense and Unbreakable show an immature filmmaker saved by the amazing talent of his crew, but with Signs there was a real growth, and with The Village, I suspect the film had good intentions, but lost it's way. It could've been a good film, had it been faithful to any of it's ideas. It could've been a great film had it been faithful to one of it's ideas.

I also wish he'd have a more thinly veiled criticism of a certain american president (I wouldn't dare name names, I'll let you guess who).

[edit: cue Steef's post here]

Absolutely. The Village is a good film that tells a perhaps not entirely probable, but very engaging story, and tells it very well, on all levels. Most people just watch this movie looking for and judging it by the "twist" and meanwhile completely miss its point. A side effect of this is that the thing you mention, Alex, regarding the "tricks the audience into thinking it's more profound" doesn't apply here, because most people who went inside looking for a "profound point" and a twist only, went out thinking the movie was completely pointless.

There he goes again folks, passing judgement on something he is completely ignorant about.

I wish you were a little smarter, Stefancos. It certainly would make things easier. The fact that I'm talking about Shyamalan's pictures in general seems to have completely escaped your attention. I'm passing judgement based on Shyamalan's previous works. What's more, I clearly said so ... not once but twice! "Knowing Shyamalan, it will be...", is what I said. That's clearly speculating based on previous experiences. I wasn't even trying to hide that I was speculating. I never said I saw the movie. Read thoroughly and then think before passing any judgement on me. Of course, my speculations could be wrong. But I'm allowed to form a theory (that doesn't mean it's proven) about something or someone, just like everyone else.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Shyamalan might have dug his own grave carreer wise with these twist endings.

Now it's almost impossible to get away from that image.

If he does not do a film with a twist ending people are gonna be dissapointed, and if he does then people are gonna complain that he's doing the same thing all over again.

Shyamalan needs to make a romantic comedy starring Matt Leblanc.

This is a filmmaker that at the very least deserves his films to be seen before passing judgment.

Maybe, but there's a strong buzz going around, about Shyamalan's formula and how it's getting weary, that I happen to I agree with, ever since I saw The Sixth Sense and Signs. I just wish he could depart a bit more from his usual mannerism.

---------------

Alex cremers

Shyamalan might have dug his own grave carreer wise with these twist endings.

Now it's almost impossible to get away from that image.

If he does not do a film with a twist ending people are gonna be dissapointed, and if he does then people are gonna complain that he's doing the same thing all over again.

Shyamalan needs to make a romantic comedy starring Matt Leblanc.

My point exactly, Stefancos.

And KM could start using spaces after periods. The point is, if they started making sense at every turn, they would cease to be Alexcremers and King Mark.

And KM could start using spaces after periods. The point is, if they started making sense at every turn, they would cease to be Alexcremers and King Mark.

You're right!