Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pile of crap track listing... severe spoilers on a level not seen since "The Phantom Menace"... and really these track names just suck... "Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning" ? wtf???

A possible Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix track listing?

Found this on Amazon.

SPOILER ALERT!

link

Highlight to read:

1. Fireworks

2. Professor Umbridge

3. Another Story

4. Dementors in the Underpass

5. Dumbledore's Army

6. The Hall of Prophecies

7. Possession

8. The Room of Requirements

9. The Kiss

10. A Journey to Hogwarts

11. The Sirius Deception

12. Death of Sirius

13. Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning

14. Darkness Takes Over

15. The Ministry of Magic

16. The Sacking of Trelawny

17. Flight of the Order of the Phoenix

18. Loved Ones and Leaving

Nothing special about the track titles.

diskobolus

Honestly, saying a Harry Potter score's track titles have spoilers, is like saying the Titanic track titles spoiled the movie.  

What a pile of crap track listing... severe spoilers on a level not seen since "The Phantom Menace"... and really these track names just suck... "Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning" ? wtf???

Hardly a first for a Potter soundtrack. "The Face of Voldemort". "Lupin's Transformation"/"The Werewolf Scene", "Death of Cedric"... etc.

And really, "Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning" sounds better than than "The Map Room: Dawn", "T-Rex Rescue and Finale", "Introducing Colin" and countless others of Williams' track titles.

They sound good to me for the most part, and definitely increase my anticipation of the score, but I still don't understand the reasoning behind blatant spoilers in track titles like this (similar to The Sixth Sense, for example). And the order is extremely skewed as has already been mentioned. But that's easy to correct.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes,I'm sure i"ll top Sorcerer's Stone,one of the greatest Williams score of the last 10 years ;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (did I add enouht roll eyes)

3 good tracks, and one outstanding concert piece and a mish mash of repetitious happy pappy ambience does not constitute untoppable.  

Nothing in there will top Hedwig's Theme but the rest is easily outdone.  

Well if you're someone like two Potter fan friends of mine who haven't read the books, then they are spoilerish.

There are no Harry Potter fans who do not read the books.

I'm 95% sure it'll be better than the fourth, it's very possible that it'll be better than the second (particularly as heard in the film), and I'd be shocked if it's better than or even as great as the first or third.

Ray Barnsbury

It couldn't possibly have the same impact on me that the first three scores did, though I sincerely hope it's good.

PS completely founded my love for JW's music, and CoS cemented it. PoA was an experience in itself. It was more than just the music with those three.

But hey, I actually hope it does hit me as much as those. It's been far, far too long since i've had a score like that.

Well if you're someone like two Potter fan friends of mine who haven't read the books, then they are spoilerish.

I like the scores, but that's about it.

I like to consider myself LOTR fan, but I haven't read the books.

I have read the Harry Potter books up to the 5th one and I haven't read the 5th one yet or the 6th or the 7th book . So this probably will be the first time I will see a Harry Potter movie without reading the book first.

With the LOTR, I have not even read any of them but I have seen all the three LOTR movies.

And the voice actor(s), if they've recorded the audio versions yet.

Ray Barnsbury

Jim Dale has read the book. He is the only voice actore for the cd novel (American version)

And really, "Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning" sounds better than than "The Map Room: Dawn", "T-Rex Rescue and Finale", "Introducing Colin" and countless others of Williams' track titles.

No way... "The Map Room: Dawn" is a perfectly fine track title. There is mystery there. And "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" is a standard action cue title. "Introducing Colin" isn't the most exciting track title ever, but at least it's short and to the point. Track titles shouldn't be whole sentences. We're not here to read a book. I greatly prefer "Chang's Theme" or "The Long Afternoon Nap" to almost everything on this disc...

Guest macrea
No way... "The Map Room: Dawn" is a perfectly fine track title.

Actually, I've always felt that "The Map Room" would have been sufficient, since it's established just before the cue is heard that they get there just before 9:00 a.m., long after dawn in Egypt at any time of year.

What would the point be of making the HP movies if the only "fans" remained readers of the books? I've only read the first book, then saw the movie and thought it was BETTER. I enjoy the movies but to me they've gotten progressively inferior (yeah I'm in a minority - loved the first one) and have no interest in the books. Now that Williams has left the series I find my interest in the films has also been further diminished, however.

Williams' original was my favorite score of his for the past ten years or perhaps more. I'd happily consider myself a "fan" if the qualities I loved about the first film (score included) were maintained through the series, whether I had read the books or not.

No way... "The Map Room: Dawn" is a perfectly fine track title. There is mystery there. And "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" is a standard action cue title. "Introducing Colin" isn't the most exciting track title ever, but at least it's short and to the point. Track titles shouldn't be whole sentences. We're not here to read a book. I greatly prefer "Chang's Theme" or "The Long Afternoon Nap" to almost everything on this disc...

The point was that none of those track titles really have anything to do with the scenes they represent. Except for Map Room, which doesn't make sense as it's clearly not dawn when that scene takes place. "T-Rex Rescue" is all of the last thirty seconds of the track, whereas the majority of the 9-minute cue is exciting action music from the Raptor attack.

I'd prefer something with a bit of zing like the Umridge one to the inexplicable ones Williams provides.

And claiming it was mislabelled because the sun was already up is very smart-assy imho :blink: since it refers to the "artificial dawn" in the map room, not the natural one outside.

If the movie is good, then it won't need silly shock value to propel it.  

If it does, then it sucks.  The thing with the 6th Sense is that it becomes an even better movie once you watch it again after knowing what'll happen.

It doesn't bother me to know spoilers. And I agree if the film is well done it won't matter if I know ahead of time.

When the novelization for ROTJ was released before the film came out I read the last chapter to see what happened.

It doesn't bother me to know what happened either, but I still try to maintain a distance from spoilers, just for the sake of having no pre-conceptions or expectations.

Interesting, though I notice there's no mention of the JW theme being in the score, which you'd think it would.