Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

To be honest, I like Doyle's efforts for GoF. As some might remember, I initially hated it...mainly because of the "it's not JW" shock factor...

But I got over that...and now...

And now... I don't believe that Williams could do much better. I've never been a fan of his subdued dark epic scores...

Doyle's material works perfectly with the movie.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's just it - what would have Williams written? If we all remember, PoA was a huge shock for all of us - albeit a brilliant shock. Is that because Doyle's score is a "subdued, epic" affair? In that case, how couldn't Williams do a better job?

Doyle's score has a few good cues i the first half of the film,that's about it.Williams scoring the final wand duel could have been the most brilliant thing ever.Williams always rises to those moments,like Buckbeak's Flight in PoA.

K.M.Who's opinion hasn't changed

Williams would have knocked The First Task out of the park too, Doyle's cue for that was pretty medicore. Every time I see the movie I can't help but hum the Flying Theme every time Harry jumps on his Firebolt. Doyle did do a good job on the Second Task, however. One of the best cues he did.

John- who's opinion also hasn't changed

I just rewatched GoF on DVD and couldn't help but think that it's pretty poorly spotted as well. Well, "poor" is maybe too strong a word, but the spotting is definitely not the best, and neither are the ideas behind it. In the graveyard scnene, I don't like how Doyle scores every dramatic moment with a dissonant trumpet chord, which he often doesn't even build up to; it's painful for the ears and distracts from the movie.

It's either this overbearing sound or a whisp of melodic nothing, like during Dumbledore's final speech to all the students. I keep playing Harry's Wondrous World in my mind during this scene.

I bet people would still hound me if I suggested the task of rescoring the film with Williams music. Ouch. Nobody liked that idea which I thought would be a fun challenge (if possible).

To be honest, I like Doyle's efforts for GoF.  As some might remember, I initially hated it...mainly because of the "it's not JW" shock factor...

But I got over that...and now...

And now... I don't believe that Williams could do much better.  I've never been a fan of his subdued dark epic scores...

Doyle's material works perfectly with the movie.

sorry have to disagree with you, you don't believe Williams could do much better,

hello, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Fawkes the Phoenix, Chamber of Secrets, Buckbeaks Flight, Window to the Past, hello, HELLO, IS ANYBODY THERE.

I have to disagree also I think John Williams is capable of doing much better. Doyle score for GOF is a OKAY score and it work alright with the film but since John Williams started off with Harry Potter film series he should of stayed.

A lot of you are biased. This is a John Williams message board after all.

And ya, its true, a lot of potter fans are the same way about Patrick Doyle.

I like all 4 Harry Potter scores, and the 4th is good, but the the others some of the others are better for obvious reasons.

Yes, but why are they biased? Because Williams music speaks to them much more than others. You can't just say "you're biased because you like Williams"; opinions are still valid, they're just influenced a bit more.

Potterfans elsewhere on the net seemed to eat up Doyle's score and always gave ill-informed criticisms of Williams' scores for the sake of it. There seems to be a good balance here.

Personally, I reckon Doyle's score wouldn't be out of place in a Rick Berman produced TV show, stale and and almost themeless. Despite that, people are, of course, entitled to like it.

I don't understand the criticism for Williams' first two scores. It's almost irrational to me. It's not like there are reasons other than personal taste like with GoF - there's no "previous composer" or continuity issues. It's strange...

There is a Williams version of Hedwigs's theme that sounds like that,the one in the first HP PS teaser trailer,near the end.

K.M.

Every composer with a sane mind would want to record a version of Hedwig's Theme with a little more weight; and don't think Williams won't do it and do it better, should he ever do a Potter movie again.

I'm very sure that Williams will at least score film 7, if he isn't dead or retired by then.

I'm very sure that Williams will at least score film 7, if he isn't dead or retired by then.

Retirement would be sad, but death would be horrible, especially if it isn't even from old age.

And thanks for the new track. Do you know where it would be on the soundtrack if everything was in chronological order?

I thought you might like to know that I have uploaded an unrerleased piece of music from GOF at http://www.scorewars.port5.com/HTML%20File...s/GOFreview.htm which is Doyle's take on the full version of Hedwig's Theme.

Sweet. That wasn't in the film, though. It sounds a bit like the music where we see a Hogwarts tower and Harry eating breakfast, but... better. I may have to buy the DVD and rip all this awesome unreleased music (like the end credits). Then assemble a expanded CD list. Well. Nahhh.

I may have to buy the DVD and rip all this awesome unreleased music (like the end credits). Then assemble a expanded CD list. Well. Nahhh.

LOL

I'm half tempted to rip the end credits, it has a good statement of Hedwig's Theme. Then I'd also have an excuse to burn a new copy with unreleased music, and without the Cocker crap. :dance:

Retirement would be sad, but death would be horrible, especially if it isn't even from old age.  

And thanks for the new track. Do you know where it would be on the soundtrack if everything was in chronological order?.

I think it accompanies a scene with the owelry (Doyle specifically associated this theme with owls) but I'm not sure where it was in the film

Greetings!

Honestly, I find the Doyle rendition of "Hedwig's Theme" to be a very good demonstration of all of the qualities in Williams' writing absent in Doyle's. And, again, Doyle is an O.K. film composer.

John Williams is a GREAT composer, who happens to write for film. The harmonic "twists" Doyle adds actually gives the theme a more streamlined, or should I say mainstream, harmonic profile, very much in the musical lingo of most composers working in the field today. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But Williams adds a sense of craft, a sense of style, a finesse, unparallelled by Doyle (and everyone else).Texturally, harmonically, orchestrationally...Williams' renditions are FAR superior!

But it is always interesting to see another composer's take on a colleague's material.

And I pray Williams is bored enough to return to the Harry Potter series...

It's funny how people can hear things differently. If anything, most film composers try to copy (and fail to copy) Williams' style. Doyle's sound is among the most distinctive, you can instantly tell his stamp on any material, including Hedwig's Theme - you will never confuse his sound with anyone else's, particularly not Williams. Williams of course is highly distinctive too - but more composers are chasing after his example.

Doyle's sound is among the most distinctive, you can instantly tell his stamp on any material, including Hedwig's Theme - you will never confuse his sound with anyone else's, particularly not Williams.

The Story Continues: Danny Elfman

Quidditch World Cup: Media Ventures

The Dark Mark: Danny Elfman + Media Ventures

Rita Skeeter: Doyle trying to sound like Williams

Golden Egg: Doyle trying to sound like Williams + Media Ventures

the two waltzes: Doyle trying not to be generic

Harry In Winter: Doyle trying to sound like Howard Shore, but instead of being positively static, he's annoyingly static

Anything featuring a certain kind of percussion seems to get labeled as being "Media Ventures" with a bad ring to it.

So what of the end of Prologue from War of the Worlds? I was reminded of Backdraft when I heard it, but I suppose because it's Williams, it's "daring stylistic deviation."

- Marc, who thinks good things have come out of MV from time to time.

The Story Continues: Danny Elfman

Quidditch World Cup: Media Ventures

The Dark Mark: Danny Elfman + Media Ventures

Rita Skeeter: Doyle trying to sound like Williams

Golden Egg: Doyle trying to sound like Williams + Media Ventures

the two waltzes: Doyle trying not to be generic

Harry In Winter: Doyle trying to sound like Howard Shore, but instead of being positively static, he's annoyingly static

LOL

Marian - :?

I don't get what's so horrible about MV and MV-like material...they've had their downs...but they've had quality material as well.

*Happily Listening to and enjoying....

Spanglish, Last Samurai, King Arthur, Pearl Harbor, Hannibal, Prince of Egypt, CrimsonTide, Backdraft...etc. etc.*

No I wouldn't want MV scoring Potter. ;)

And I love the "MV track of GoF"

I have no problems with the MV sound, or as I prefer to call it, the Zimmer sound. Like many said, good stuff has come out of him before. I think my main problem with the MV sound is that its being overused by with all the Zimmer proteges/clones out there that its actually becoming more and more generic.

On a side note, can anyone find his way through the Leaky Cauldron Forum? You need the Marauder's Map to find anything there. All those sub- forums with the 100 % spoiler- free titles, I wouldn't even know where to look for a complete GoF score (had I actually the urge to get ahold of one).

I bet if you open a GoF score thread there, it will be moved to a place you need ages to find before you get any valuable responses.

On a side note, can anyone find his way through the Leaky Cauldron Forum? You need the Marauder's Map to find anything there. All those sub- forums with the 100 % spoiler- free titles, I wouldn't even know where to look for a complete GoF score (had I actually the urge to get ahold of one).

I bet if you open a GoF score thread there, it will be moved to a place you need ages to find before you get any valuable responses.

Considering a great many vistors to sites like MuggleNet and LeakCauldron fall below the age 18...I hardly doubt they have acquired complete GoF scores. :)

The end credits are 2:23:48-2:26:33. Unfortunately, GoF doesn't have a stereo mix, so you'll have to tediously mix all six surround channels into stereo.

I'm running on the dodgy assumption that the CD is entirely in chronological order (except for the songs). Is this actually true? "Hogwarts Hymn" doesn't feature anywhere in the movie, so I placed it at the end of my arrangement. It might also fit into the customary concert theme Track 2 position. Still looking for the menu that features Hedwig's theme (the MP3 was cool, but I am definitely planning to rip it in WAVE format). There are probably other unreleased cues in the menus, too. Some of those were notable... I remember a pretty neat cue for the unveiling of the Goblet.

Again, let me stress that this new clip of Hedwig's theme does not feature in the film. It's different - and better. It seems to be an alternative version of the music for the scene in which we see a Hogwarts tower, mail is delivered, and the Patil twins say hello. The music heard in the film is more similar to the beginning of "Foreign Visitors Arrive." In fact, it's practically the same, save for some sloppy twinkling sounds and a lower octave for the violins. The music heard in the menu is probably the original music for this sequence (toned down for the film at the director's request?).

In other news, the door is able to be opened again...

Ray Barnsbury - who cheated after a lot of painstaking trial and error

Do you get anything of worth after completing that horrible quiz?

~Tyler, who quit after the first few questions....

Well, I got an "Acceptable" on my W.O.M.B.A.T. test....I forget, how good is that?

Ray Barnsbury - who thought the test was ridiculously hard, and mostly just guessed

OK, I have a zip file to send out with five pieces of unreleased music:

beauxbatons.mp3 - the entrance of the Beauxbatons girls

End Credits.mp3

hedwig.mp3 - alternative version of the "owl post" music

portkey.mp3 - excerpt from the use of the portkey at the beginning of the film

unknown.mp3 - ?

With these in consideration, that makes the entire track list:

1. The Story Continues

2. Frank Dies

3. The Portkey (portkey.mp3)

4. The Quidditch World Cup

5. The Dark Mark

6. Foreign Visitors Arrive

7. Entrance of Beauxbatons (beauxbatons.mp3)

8. Hogwarts' Hymn (this theme is heard briefly in the orientation scene, so I figured this was as good a place as any for it)

9. The Goblet of Fire

10. Rita Skeeter

11. Sirius Fire

12. Harry Sees Dragons

13. Golden Egg

14. Owl Post (hedwig.mp3)

15. Neville's Waltz

16. Harry in Winter

17. Potter Waltz

18. Underwater Secrets

19. The Black Lake

20. Hogwarts' March

21. The Maze

22. Voldemort

23. Death of Cedric

24. Another Year Ends

25. End Credits (End Credits.mp3)

26. Do the Hippogriff

27. This Is the Night

28. Magic Works

Once somebody identifies unknown1.mp3, I will of course incorporate it into this list. PM for a download link.