Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prefects' bathroom. I think this is an InterActual Player feature or something. The "unknown1.mp3" was also featured there (Hogwarts timeline).

Hey, Cerrabore, I tried to PM you twice but both times don't think it actually got sent. May I please have the link? :oops:

Looks like my PM's worked after all :oops: At least I know where the unknown music is heard in the movie :thumbup:. It is when Harry is in Dumbledore's office, and the candy attacks him.

Thanks. The track list is now:

1. The Story Continues

2. Frank Dies

3. The Portkey (portkey.mp3)

4. The Quidditch World Cup

5. The Dark Mark

6. Foreign Visitors Arrive

7. Entrance of Beauxbatons (beauxbatons.mp3)

8. The Goblet of Fire

9. Rita Skeeter

10. Sirius Fire

11. Harry Sees Dragons

12. Golden Egg

13. Owl Post (hedwig.mp3)

14. Neville's Waltz

15. Harry in Winter

16. Potter Waltz

17. Underwater Secrets

18. The Black Lake

19. The Pensieve (unknown1.mp3)

20. Hogwarts' March

21. The Maze

22. Voldemort

23. Death of Cedric

24. Another Year Ends

25. End Credits (End Credits.mp3)

26. Do the Hippogriff

27. This Is the Night

28. Magic Works

I can't decide on "Hogwarts Hymn." I'd put it at the end of the disc, but the end credits make it sort of redundant. Any ideas?

Hopefully this is not true. I was hoping John Williams or Patrick Doyle would come back. But who knows, maybe Dario Marianelli would do a great job.

If you thought GOF had bland themes, prepare for no themes at all.

If you thought GOF had bland themes, prepare for no themes at all.

A. Marienelli does have a melodic sensibility

B. He is more likely to use JW material as a composer on the rise than one with an established reputation and style.

Dario Marianelli will very likely create something supremely generic. And his Williams quotations will seem like sad and very pale reminders of a forlorn glory.

For someone with a proper musical education, and even a good deal of experience from the concert world, Marianelli is almost impressively bland.

Joel McNeely deserves better pictures to score, something to summon the talent so evident in his "Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire".

That is the only thing McNeely has shown any unique talent in. Otherwise, I have never, ever heard him do anything the least bit original. I don't think it is his fault, but he keeps on getting hired to ape the temp score.

And I don't know what you've heard of Marianelli, but he's hardly bland.

Hi Morlock!

I'm not so concerned with originality or lack thereof, but pure and simple musical/compositional chops, of which McNeely has plenty, and much more than any other younger composer working in Hollywood today.

My problem with Marianelli (and granted, I've only heard a handful of scores of his), is that he seems to, for all his training, be very limited, and sometimes dramatically "theatrical" in a detrimental way..

I think his melodic writing is very bland, almost to the point of sounding "dumbed down", and I think his harmonic writing is generic. His chromatic control also seems stilted and contrived.

That is the only thing McNeely has shown any unique talent in. Otherwise, I have never, ever heard him do anything the least bit original. I don't think it is his fault, but he keeps on getting hired to ape the temp score.

I don't find SotE that intriguing. The Avengers seems less bland to me. But aside from that, I agree with you. What little I've heard from Marianelli so far makes him clearly more interesting to me than McNeely.

I'm not so concerned with originality or lack thereof, but pure and simple musical/compositional chops, of which McNeely has plenty, and much more than any other younger composer working in Hollywood today.

I haven't heard that. You seem to be wanting Christopher Gordon though - a choice I'd be very happy with.

Marian - wondering what effect on songs the choice of composer is supposed to have anyway.

What exactly makes Marianelli qualified for a Potter score? Although I'm a bit careful after the Howard Shore LotR experience, I fear that what GoF had too much, OotP will have too little.

Well, maybe his score gets rejected ...

V for Vendetta, a very bland and generic score.

The Brothers Grimm, a highly derivative score, yet fun, and not at all bland.

Pride and Prejuidice, a lovely, joyfull, melodic, score.

I Capture The Castle, an imaginative, moving, emotional score.

I haven't heard that. You seem to be wanting Christopher Gordon though - a choice I'd be very happy with.

And Gordon is a huge JW fan, a big plus (Hook is one of his favorite scores).

Great film too.

The only score of his that I've heard all the way through is The Brothers Grimm, and I happen to enjoy it.

Tim

The Brothers Grimm, a highly derivative score, yet fun, and not at all bland.

Pride and Prejuidice, a lovely, joyfull, melodic, score.

Sure, I've yet to hear those, but V for Vendetta was probably the disappointment of the year so far for me. A few repetitive rhythms, baseless choral and electronic statements were all the Marianelli's score had to offer, which screamed of temp-track hell. The score was stale and surprisingly introverted with barely a wimper of character for an otherwise terrific film. It's becoming a rather sorry state of affairs if only Tchaikovsky composed the most memorable cue that really left an imprint on me after I left the theatre.

Christopher Gordan, from the music of his that I've heard, is nowhere near as technically accomplished as Joel Mcneely. Granted, they're both fine musicians, and none of them even remotely close to achieving anything of Williams' quality.

But both Gordon and McNeely are far superior to Marianelli, who really does seem to be a hack, despite his training.

Joel McNeely is a schooled and skilled composer with a great understanding of both classical and film repertoire, which aids his work tremendously. I haven't been completely enthused by his recent efforts, but I think he has it in him to contribute something wonderful. John Williams also seems to think so, as he was responisible for McNeely landing the "Young Indiana Jones" gig.

I haven't heard any of Marianelli's concert music. I hope it is wonderful. His film music is not.

There are too few truly good composers these days...

And too many musically clueless directors...

Dark and difficult times lie ahead...

I beg to differ.
Oh come on, it's not like you have to be a bloody genius to score a Potter film.

thank you Mr. Cosman, said John Williams.

I have yet to listen to the album, so I cannot judge. In the film, there were some great moments, though most of it was underwhelming.

FSM]

Official response from Dario Marianelli:

"Are you scoring the next Potter film?"

not that I know Dan. Someone must have put it there as a joke.

And thus, another lame IMDB rumor goes byebye.

Dan

:) to Dario then.

TTBK

Quite frankly you really shouldn't believe everything you read on the IMDB especially if the film hasn't even began it's post-production.

How do you think Basil Poledouris would do if he composed for a Harry Potter film? His Conan the Barbarion was great.

Saw GoF again. One of the worst directed films I've seen in a while. Mike Newell is a bad, baaaad director. There is only one single scene in the entire film that I feel was as good as it could have been (the one with Moody teaching the curses). Everything else was specifically not good. The performances were uniformly unimpressive. The most impressive of the bunch was Gleeson as Moody, and even he gave a dissapointingly overstated performance (which was not aided by the shoddy make-up work). The shooting script must be one of the worst reads this side of Battlefield Earth. Either Newell or his cinematographer made a whole lot of bad choices where to put that camera.

I loathe this movie. Not because it's bad, but because it's mediocre. Because the source material is so good, the film still gets **1/2 out of ****. But as a standalone film, I'd give it a ** out of ****, at most.

Morlock- who unlike some people, did not have it in for the film (or any other film in the series) before he saw it, and states for the record that he liked the first two films and loved the third one

Maybe I should see GoF again now that it's been a while, but are you two (Morlock and magical_me) saying that you prefer the first two films to the fourth?

Ray Barnsbury

I've only seen it once (should get the DVD soon...). I'd say GOF has a good share of my favourite scenes from the four movies, but overall, it's a lesser movie than the third one. Possibly better than the second one, but I'd have to watch it again to make up my mind about that.

Marian - who considers it a missed opportunity.

;) Ghostbusters (Elmer Bernstein)

Not me.

I just thaught that john would have been a good choice for this movie since it's all emotional and deep, I was hoping a more like Munich/Schindler's List kind of score.

Besides John's work on the Potter movies is just extremly good the main theme is just too good. I liked Doyle's Score, but I was kind of hoping for another john williams.

None the less I'll see that movie on opening night.

Again I don't care about the Harry Potter films or music....

However it's NOT the end of the world if Williams doesn't score the film. He doesn't have to score every movie that comes out. I mean seriously it doesn't hurt if a new composer scores the film. You guys are just to obessed. :roll:

I found the HPANA member comments kinda funny, because they're all crying for Williams now.

Tim

I noticed that while perusing preteen corner (Mugglenet) and reading the comment boards for the score news. I remember how everyone was so excited about any new Harry Potter crap, that they were in awe of Doyle's score. Common sense seems to have returned to them. However, correct grammar hasn't:

OMG NO PLS WB PLS NO!! John Williams is the only one who can shape music for this kind of fantasy/magical show! Proof: only the first three movies' soundtracks were reviewed to be great-sounding and bringing the movie to a more dynamic dimension, the fourth wasn't cos it wasn't John William's! I hope they don't change composers!!

;)  

John Williams is by far the best. Can't we just get him back? Especially the soundtrack to PoA was fantastic. Different and all magical... It really gave something to the movie. The 4th soundtrack was in no way anywhere near as good as John Williams' soundtracks were.

;)  

I want John Williams back !!!!

The music for gof was lame

ROTFLMAO  

And my personal favorite:

god i hope they change composers if it was gonna be the one who did GoF. That music was sooo bad - it was the one thing that turned me off the movie. the music for PS, CoS and PoA was good - get him/her back!

:eek:  

I just thaught that john would have been a good choice for this movie since it's all emotional and deep, I was hoping a more like Munich/Schindler's List kind of score.

Before I've seen the finished film, I'd be careful calling it emotional and deep.

gkgyver- who finds the thought of having a wailing woman or a Jewish chant in OotP kinda scary

hey from the reading the book it's kind of emotional.

But a wailing woman wld be scary in HP.

Unless he dies in the end of 7 That would work fine.

I can't decide on "Hogwarts Hymn." I'd put it at the end of the disc, but the end credits make it sort of redundant. Any ideas?

I'm playing around with this. What did you end up with? You can fit it in when that theme occurs, of course... Or perhaps as a Prologue.

Maybe I should see GoF again now that it's been a while, but are you two (Morlock and magical_me) saying that you prefer the first two films to the fourth?

Ray Barnsbury

I'm not. But it was still a step backwards from PoA. I'd probably put it on the same plane as the first film, and above CoS.

It a close call for me. On the one hand, the first two films were directed in a passable, yet, to me, totally boring way, while the fourth film was directed in a terrible way. On the other hand, the fourth book was light years ahead of the first book in every way, I feel, so the material was much better to begin with.

Still, after seeing three times, I would have to say.......Yeah, GoF is the worst of the lot and the only one of the films that I hope to dear heavens I will never get stuck seeing again.

I would say that the film is probably a **1/2/**** film, but concidering that any competent director/producer (I forgot to mention them as culprits- David Heyman strikes me as a rather bad producer, I have no idea what qualified him to produce these films. It certainly wasn't his previous work) team could have made it a ****/**** film, that is much worse than the rating indicates.

Be it the producers or the studio, I've lost faith in the series. It's all about the money. After the first two film, they loosed up amazingly, bringing in an unknown and (relatively) artsy director for the third film, and let him have free reign. He reinvented a whole lot of things, and made a much richer and more serious film. I am not forgetting the flaws, which certainly were there, but I would say that the most important flaws were on a script level. The script was fantastically directed. It had style, it had energy, it had enthusiasm, it was a joy to watch. But then, when this film didn't make as much money as the first two.....off with his head! let's forget about the third movie 'debacle', bring in a boring, old, name-recognizable British director who can bring in the dough. The third film tried to create something unique. The fourth film went back to copying the book, as opposed to adapting.

The only shot from the film that I recall with any interest is a strange shot from the begining. It the shot of the Weasleys and the Diggorys running up the hill to the portkey. The shot is strange, has a weird, madcap energy to it, and the way it stops heroically on the boot.....it felt like something out of a Monty Python skit, where the boot is god, or something like that. That was the only interesting shot in the film for me.

GoF left a terrible taste in my mouth, turned me off film for a few days every time I saw it. Those kinds of films, I don't need.

Morlock- who glad he has films like V for Vendetta to console himself with, ones that actually live up to their potential. Or half of their potential. Or a fifth of their potential.

I'm playing around with this. What did you end up with? You can fit it in when that theme occurs, of course... Or perhaps as a Prologue.

Yeah, it's at the beginning of my disc right now, followed by "The Story Continues." *shrug* Seems to work well enough.

Does anyone has the music when Krum puts his name in the goblet.

Also when they bring out the goblet in the golden thing and dumbledore taps it and it starts to melt.

I've been looking for them everywhere

You can rip it from the DVD if you like.

By the way, the OST is not quite in film order. If you listen to "The Dark Mark", the cue between 2:32 and 3:10 plays after Moody turns out to be Barty Crouch jr. and ends right before Dumbledore holds a speech in honour of Cedric.

Even if GoF doesn't hold up compared to PoA, I still consider PS the least good of the series. There are quite a few cringeworthy moments; that's something the other three don't have.

The Sorting Hat for instace: every student knows where he belongs within two seconds, but Harry gets a complete psychoanalysis.

Or at the Quidditch match, when the announcer explains the rules yet again. She might as well have added "Remember, I explain this to the crowd, NOT to the audience!"

Lee Jordan, Quidditch Commentator, is a male.

Indeed. However, I can truly understand the mix up. My mother and sister, neither of whom read the book, thought the kid was a girl in the first movie. By the time CoS came out, it was a little more obvious.

Tim