Star Wars Trilogy coming to DVD

diskobolus

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We want O.T. O.T O.T. O.T

Lucas from his balcony: "Hehe, the poor bastards. They long for something that is not in their reach. And I'm not giving in to their wishes. Neverrrrr.

Rick McCallum: I know you won't, Master.

O.T. O.T. We want O.T. O.T. O.T.

wow 16.2% are absolute morons, back to the womb folks, you came out too soon.

Speilberg had to do some trimming in Jaws, the estuary scene, to avoid an R rating.

what do you mean.in the theatrical release or the DVD?

I don't think i replied to this.I'll get the DVD's ,though i don't have TPM or AotC yet.I'll also get the Sith vs. Jedi box decor,i think it looks cool.

K.M.

K.M. those box art photos were early concepts of the possible options for the suits at Lucasfilm and Fox to choose from. The final version may or may not look remotely like any of those designs. I wouldn't get attached to any particular version if I were you.

Personally, I prefer something closer to Indy set in one box but with each of the 4 discs in their own keepcase. I hate those cheap cardboard digipaks.

Also, If you do want to get the current TPM or AotC 2-disc sets, get them soon because they're now out of print, discontinued by Lucasfilm last Decemeber.

Hey Neil nice find buddy!

I wonder if the SW DVDs wont sell as well as Lucas thinks.

Maybe there are more people out there against these releases that I thought.

Perhaps I should boycott them. I will probably hesitate initially and see how many people hold off on buying them. If there are enough people who dont sell out Lucas might give in eventually.

Speilberg had to do some trimming in Jaws, the estuary scene, to avoid an R rating.

what do you mean.in the theatrical release or the DVD?

K.M.

The original theatrical release. On the Jaws Signature Laserdisc Spielberg talks about it. He had to trim some of scene when the leg floats to the bottom.

Also, If you do want to get the current TPM or AotC 2-disc sets, get them soon because they're now out of print, discontinued by Lucasfilm last Decemeber.

Yes to be re-released as a special two pack before Episode III, then as a special Prequel 3 pack and then once again as a 6 pack for the entire series. LOL

What two disc sets?

I still stand by a hybrid of the original versions and the Special Editions.

1. Every scene that was in the original version should remain, unedited.

2. If some effects shots can be cleaned up, then clean them, but do NOT alter them.

3. If a long unreleeased scene can be tidied up and released, then so be it. It's a fun surprise.

I think the Jabba scene was needed, but Jabba looked like absolute s**t. When I was a little kid, I was always confused and upset by the fact that Han was always trying to run away from his friends with barely any note on the real reason why. The Jabba scene adds depth to that part of the story and I think it's rather essential. However, Jabba just looked like shit. He looked MUCH better in TPM. If they re-do that scene with updated CGI technology, and have Williams compose a little music for it, then it would be sweet. As it is now, it looks rather clumsy.

KM and I agree about the Special Edition ending to ROTJ. Showing celebrations on several different planets. THAT'S how it should have always been. I always felt like the end of the original was rather short and lame. Never really cared for the Ewok Celebrations, and the new ending brought a very large smile to my face. That was the best improvement of the Special Editions in my mind.

There are five "improvements" that stand out in my mind as absolutely horrid. Most others can be slightly tolerable or unoticable, but these I can't stand:

1. Jedi Rocks. An abomination. Bring back Lapti Nek!

2. Greedo's shot. Not only is it silly, but it looks like absolute crap.

3. Luke's scream. Why? What was wrong with him falling the 1st time around.

4. The Sarlacc Pit gaving a CGI mouth. Why? It was ugly and scary enough.

5-&-up. Any and all snipping to scenes that didn't need snipping, ESPECIALLY when they distorted the music.

Added scenes are okay in my book, but at least make them look good?

I was upset with and always wanted and was peeved when they weren't added into the Special Editions:

1. The Luke and Biggs Tatooine scenes.

2. The Hoth Wampa Lair scenes in Empire.

3. The ROTJ Luke communicating with Vader and the Tatooine sandstorm scenes.

I'm standing by this. What would be best is each movie released as a 2 disc set. Disc 1 would have the original theatrical release version (remastered and cleaned up, but the original cut nonetheless), and Disc 2 The Director's cut: Every missing scene and any and all new scenes added in. That would please everybody. But again... Lucass is only interested in pleasing himself. It's his right as an artist in a free society, but he's alienating all his fans. Yet, it's so easy to make everybody happy and do it this way... what's wrong with this guy???

The Director's cut: Every missing scene and any and all new scenes added in.

No, no, no! That's not a director's cut, that's an assembly cut. This may come as a surprise to you, but scenes are cut for many reasons. Sometimes they are suplerfluous. Maybe an actor's performance isn't good enough. Maybe the essence of a scene comes through better by making it shorter. Pacing is also an obvious issue. Putting everything back into a movie is not a very good idea at all. You still have to make an entertaining movie. Having everything dumped back into a movie will not make it better. Case in point? The video tape I have of the television edit of Superman - The Movie that runs 187 minutes. It's certainly closer to the version of the movie that Williams wrote his score too, but it's just too long and dull. The film was wisely cut. Most films usually are.

Neil

The film was wisely cut. Most films usually are.

But the cutting ofThe Magnificent Ambersons by the studio behind Orson Welles' back is not one of them. Some even think it would've surpassed Citizen Kane as the greatest film of all time, if the studio didn't butcher it. I believe the following quote to be true.

While Kane showed us a loss of childhood innocence, Ambersons fondly remembers an era that is also lost forever. The film is a pure piece of nostalgia.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The film was wisely cut. Most films usually are.

But the cutting ofThe Magnificent Ambersons by the studio behind Orson Welles' back is not one of them. Some even think it would've surpassed Citizen Kane as the greatest film of all time, if the studio didn't butcher it. I believe the following quote to be true.

That was the studios butchering of it without the director's knowledge or approval, so there is a difference.

Amadeus was wisely cut for it's orginal release. Although some snippets of Mozart's students were good, the main addition of Salieri humiliating Mozart's wife is totaly unnessecary, and slows down an (IMO) otherwise perfect movie.

I know what you mean. I (being an Alien/Scott's man :) ) was really curious about the deleted scenes in Alien. I'm happy they all ended on the cutting room floor!

However, there's one scene in TPM (yes, TPM) that I rather wished they left in. It's a scene where Anakin and Little Greedo fight. It's an important scene in that it showed us how much of a father figure Qui-Gon truly was to young Skywalker.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, these were announced on Thursday, and despite the lock out, I'm amazed that there has been no discussion of this. Maybe people genuinely don't care. These certainly are underwhelming.

Star Wars DVD Specs:

"Just announced from Fox Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm are the complete specs for the upcoming Star Wars Trilogy box sets, hitting a galaxy near you on September 21st. (Perhaps you have heard of them?) Available in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each includes Dolby Digital Surround EX tracks, plus additional English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround options and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The set will also contain audio commentaries for each film: George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher (A New Hope); Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher (The Empire Strikes Back); and Lucas, Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher again (on Return of the Jedi). Other extras include the bonus fourth disc with "The Most Comprehensive Feature-Length Documentary Ever Produced On the Star Wars Saga" plus "Never Before Seen Footage From the Making Of All Three Films." Expect more possible extras to be announced soon, and retail for either box will list for $69.95."

I got that from here.

Neil

That description is sleep-inducing. What we need are re-remastered special effects, new music where necessary rather than tracked music, such as in Jabba's scene in A New Hope, and on the fourth disc, deleted scenes and multiple specialized documentaries (including music!).

Maybe Williams is on the fourth disk somewhere.I can't believe they don't talk about the music at all,it's the most important thing in SW.Or maybe they don't have any Williams footage during his recording sessions back then.

K.M.

Those specs are probably far from final since there hasn't been an official press release from Lucasfilm. I seriously doubt the set will be released without a feature about John Williams and the music.

The suggested retail price is exactly the same as the Indy box set. You'll be able to pick it up for less than $50 at any Circut City, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

Did you read the specs of the fourth disc with Bonus Features? Here it is:

Star Wars: The Independent Films feature length documentary - The story of Star Wars is the story of the most successful independent series film ever produced. It's the story of a Hollywood outsider named George Lucas and a low-budget labor of love space saga that defied the odds and reinvented the rules. It's the story of a revolution born of a dream. It's the story of an independent filmmaker who had to innovate and invent an entirely new way of creating motion pictures. It's the story of a fundamental paradigm shift in the creative process made, not by the studio system, but by a single filmmaker with a simple dream. (150 min.)  

The Evolution of Characters featurette - Get an in-depth look at how all your favorite characters came to be with exclusive concept art and discussion with George and the people who shaped what ultimately became out favorite heroes and villains. Includes a separate still/video gallery cut to Star Wars music with access to artwork and classic scenes for each major character. (30 min.)  

The Influence of Star Wars featurette - Without Star Wars, there would be no... The groundbreaking special effects that were pioneered to make Star Wars movies not only helped viewers escape to a galaxy far, far away, but they changed the way every movie was made thereafter. Experience never before seen effects innovations from the films and learn how pivotal the films were to modern effects wizards and filmmakers. (20 min.)  

Lightsabers/Fights featurette - Forget laser pistols, the lightsaber is the coolest weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. What were George's influences for creating the lightsaber? How did Mark Hamill, Alec Guiness, and Darth Vader stunt people approach wielding a saber? How did the effects guys figure out the lightsaber beam? How did each fight escalate from the previous one? And what influences did this creation have on movies thereafter? (10 min.)  

1977 featurette - Transport people back in time to the opening of each Star Wars film. Menus will showcase all the pop culture features from the 1977 opening such as: TV references, toy ads, promotional partner commercials, news clips, songs inspired by Star Wars, Star Wars magazine and newspaper coverage, classic video game demos. (20 min.)  

Star Wars Battlefront X-Box Video Game Demo (15 min.)  

Teasers and Trailers from the original theatrical releases of each of the movies along with the 1997 re-releases. (15 min.)  

TV Spots from the original theatrical releases of the movies along with the 1997 re-releases (5 min.)  

Stills - A comprehensive gallery of posters from around the world, classic artwork, and never-before-seen photos from all three films (approximately 300 images.)  

DVD-ROM Features - DVD ROM link to exclusive Star Wars website.  

I'm really upset... there's NOTHING about John Williams and his music! Not even a scant 10-minute featurette!! Gosh... it's unbelievable! :angry:

I hope that in that 150-minutes documentary they didn't forgot to mention him... ROTFLMAO

Those idiots at FOX listed the PT actors.

Hmm... and to think that Fox usually has such quality in everything they do. Like Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire.

:( Fox

:pukeface: George Lucas

:pukeface: Special Editions

:flush: Karm's Expectations.

I'm sure Johnny will be interviewed and will feature in the fourth disc documentaries, but I am still very disappointed that he's not getting his own feature. I just recently watched the Blade II supplemental disc, and there is a twenty plus minute documentary on the score, and its better than any of the featurettes on Star Wars or Spielberg dvds. It's so incredibly in depth, and we get to know something about the process of scoring and recording from the perspective of the director Del Toro and composer Beltrami. Really intriguing stuff. Now how come the arguably most famous film composer that ever lived can't get an in-depth documentary like that on a supplemental disc for a movie? Makes me wonder.

Ted

Why? The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones neglected to feature a music documentary.

You are incorrect on that matter.

TPM had two short docs on the music as well as the music video for DOTF.

AOTC had a doc on the music but you had to access the web with Disc 2 to view it plus the disc has the music video for Across The Stars.

Granted they weren't in depth but they still featured a little of Williams recording the scores.

I can't believe that there's no music feature

:(:pukeface::pukeface:

Williams deserves better treatment than he has gotten from Lucas the last few years.

A documentary on the music of the OT could be great. Of course I would trade it for GL letting JW score a final cut to EIII but that will never happen. :flush:

I can't believe that there's no music feature

:D;):angry:

Williams deserves better treatment than he has gotten from Lucas the last few years.

Well,he has a long feature on the Indy DVD set..but maybe Spielberg had a say in this.

K.M.

However, there's one scene in TPM (yes, TPM) that I rather wished they left in. It's a scene where Anakin and Little Greedo fight. It's an important scene in that it showed us how much of a father figure Qui-Gon truly was to young Skywalker.

The scene itself is fine, but the fact that its GREEDO that Anakin is fighting with is absurd. Way way too coincidental, do we really need to see Greedo as a kid too? The superfluous use of original trilogy characters just caters to fanboys.

Yes, an annoying cameo. The scene was otherwise good...

TPM had two short docs on the music as well as the music video for DOTF.

Eh. Well, I'll have to check out my TPM disc.

AOTC had a doc on the music but you had to access the web with Disc 2 to view it plus the disc has the music video for Across The Stars.

I, like many people, don't have a DVD-ROM drive, only a DVD player. Only the material that can be accessed by all viewers should count.