"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" Tracks

Crono

My thoughts if these cues are real. :P

1. Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme)

This would be a new version of Hedwig's theme probably scoring the main title.

2. Aunt Marge's Waltz

New theme for Aunt Marge.

3. The Knight Bus

New theme for the Knight bus.

4. Apparition on the Train

Dark frightening music most plus the debue of a Dementor theme or motif.

5. Double Trouble

Possible concert version of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

6. Buckbeak's Flight

Either scoring part of the climactic finale when Harry and Co. ride Buckbeak. Or this could be a concert version of the Buckbeak theme. Although if this were the case it would make more sense for it to be at the beggining or end of the album.

7. A Window to the Past

This could be a theme for Harry discovering more about his past like when he overhear's about Sirius at Hogsmeade.

8. The Whomping Willow and The Snowball Fight

Sneaking into the Shrieking Shack and some christmasy music.

9. Secrets of the Castle

Maybe a theme for the Maruaders or some music scoring Harry sneaking around the castle.

10. The Portrait Gallery

Possibly a theme for the one Knight dude who replace the fat lady.

11. Hagrid the Professor

Possible Hagrid theme but most likely it scores the lesson with Hagrid teaching.

12. Monster Books and Boggarts!

Jump back the begging when Harry gets the monster book from hagrid. Jump forward to the Boggart Lesson.

13. Quidditch, Third Year

Quidditch music. :)

14. Lupin's Transformation and Chasing Scabbers

Desperatly terrifying music possibly a Lupin theme. Followed with some light music perhaps. Not sure what the second half of this could be.

15. The Patronus Light

Hopefully a glorious Patronus theme. Or perhaps a montage of of Harry learning the spell.

16. The Werewolf Scene

Not sure what this could be. Probably an action cue which could span much of the final scene.

17. Saving Buckbeak

Another action cue this probably comes after the next track. (Or at the same time. ;) )

18. Forward to Time Past

This would be the Time Turner sequence. Possibly a theme here.

19. The Dementors Converge

Hopefully Williams pulls out all the stops for this cue. This should score Harry trying to fend of the hundreds of Dementors.

20. Finale

Happy finale at the end. Another spectacular burst of music. (please....come on....)

21. Mischief Managed!

Not sure about this cue. Could be a theme. could be End Credits. this really makes me wonder if this is the final cue lin up. Wasn't Harry's Wonderous world originaly at the end of the tracks on SS?

Anyway there you have it. ;)

Justin

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some you concerned that these titles mean that there will be a lack of concert pieces on the disc? I see more than a few tracks that are possible candidates.  The titles for 1, 5, 7, 9, 11, 15, and 21 all fit the bill; however, I'd say Double Trouble, A Window to the Past, Hagrid the Professor, and Mischief Managed (a marauders' theme perhaps?) are the most likely choices for concert arrangements of new themes.  

Well,I remember when I first read the track title "Harry's Wondrous World",it wasn't obvious it was a concert arrangement.

K.M.

Buckbeak's Flight

Either scoring part of the climactic finale when Harry and Co. ride Buckbeak. Or this could be a concert version of the Buckbeak theme. Although if this were the case it would make more sense for it to be at the beggining or end of the album.

I'm sure it scores the scene we see in the trailer... Harry first rides Buckbeak first in Chapter 6,so i'm sure it underscores that scene in the Care of Magical Creatures class.This theme will probably be re-used in "Finale" in an action context.

Also,i wouldn't be surprised that the "heroic" theme heard in one of the trailers ends up in this track,or for The Patronus Light.

K.M.

BTW, our very own "Ray Barnsbury" is famous

lol, I read that shortly after our European friends here quelled our fears about the "Music . . . Inspired By," so I wanted to let him know.

HPFAN stole the master tape of that track, so they had to cut it from the film and soundtrack.

LOL You're undoubtedly right.

HPFAN stole the master tape of that track, so they had to cut it from the film and soundtrack.  

Exactly! If there is in fact an unusual shortage of concert arrangements, we'll have to learn the new themes like we do from . . . other composers' albums!!! :)

And nice track analysis, Justin. You're probably pretty close to being right with those guesses.

Ray Barnsbury

Well,I,m sure they'll have somekind of motif,i wasn't expecting any big theme for them,neither did i expect a theme for Sirius

K.M.

The movie is 2 hours 22 minutes long...expect a truckfull of Unreleased music :P  

K.M.Who hopes a boot is already in the works

crusher doesnt even have the cos dvd extract yet, according to his trade list

Whoa, wait, "Quidditch Third Year"? I was under the impression there wouldn't be a Quidditch match, considering Oliver Wood was cut from the movie and no images have popped up on the 'Net. (Unless I'm mistaken and they have!) New Quidditch music that isn't a bad joke like the Harry/Malfoy chase in The Chamber of Secrets would be awesome.

We don't have "someone's theme" tracks on the first album either. The only thing I miss from this movie is the Voldemort motifs. I just love these Williams' bad guy themes.

What makes you say they won't be on the soundtrack?

Return of the King had 19 tracks, including one track that was over 10 minutes long.

...Consequently, some of the tracks were less than two minutes long.

The movie is 2 hours 22 minutes long...expect a truckfull of Unreleased music

Shortest movie yet, though.

Return of the King had 19 tracks, including one track that was over 10 minutes long.

...Consequently, some of the tracks were less than two minutes long.

And, as I said in the same post from which you took the quote, that is not the least bit unusual with soundtrack releases regardless of the amount of tracks or total running time. Now can we stop beating that particular horse? It's quite dead. :roll:

The movie is 2 hours 22 minutes long...expect a truckfull of Unreleased music :P  

K.M.Who hopes a boot is already in the works

crusher doesnt even have the cos dvd extract yet, according to his trade list

He hates Harry Potter,so he's not going to do a score extraction.Besides,a lot of the unreleased music is re-recorded from PS.

K.M.

I don't think there has ever been a Williams produced OST CD wich had a 30 second cue.

Well there are those little tracks known as "20th Century Fox Fanfare" ;-D

Oh and "Nute and Rune Confer with Darth Sidious" (0:29)

"Darth Sidious Receives News of the Gungan Army" (0:25)

"The Battle Begins" (0:24)

"The Gungans Fight Back" (0:24)

" Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, and the Invisible Wall" (0:14)

Damn that Ultimate Edition.

Those are useless subdivisions of tracks. You want to go by the REAL track titles: "Treachery within the Federation - the Invasion of Naboo," "Underwater Adventure," etc.

I didn't like that scene in RoTK at all. So corny, so old. I've seen that many times before. And making Denethor some sort of gluttonous cannibal thing. Terrible.

We don't have "someone's theme" tracks on the first album either. The only thing I miss from this movie is the Voldemort motifs. I just love these Williams' bad guy themes.

What makes you say they won't be on the soundtrack?

Voldemort doesn't appear in POA, so it will be disappointing to hear his themes used in pure form.

Marian - who doesn't quite trust these track titles.

My track titles were better, far better, and mine would have been a 2 disc set,

with alternate tracks.

The You-Know-Who theme should appear. The Voldemort theme shouldn't.

The You-Know-Who...theme... *checks thematic analysis*

Right, what we need is the You-Know-Who theme and the Sorceror's Stone motif!

I just hope there are several new themes introduced that expand the series' already rich melodic texture.

Be good to hear some REAL themeatic development in a score which hasn't happened in some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the album description, including some info on the multimedia content of the disc, shamelessly swiped from Amazon.com:

Oscar and Grammy Award winning composer John William returns with an enchanted score inspired by the magic of the forthcoming summer blockbuster Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. Always a hit with fans of the enormously successful Harry Potter films, as well as fans of John Williams -- one of the most popular and successful American orchestral composers of the modern age. Extras, enhanced with exclusive wallpaper and screensaver, flip book of stills from film, exclusive link to demo of new EA Harry Potter video game, Golden Ticket Contest: Winner receives trip to Hollywood to tour WB lot and museum, pull out poster.

Well,wallpapers and movie stills,doesn't seem like it will take much space on the c.d.,but why do they bother,i bet all these stills can be found online already

K.M.

When a sequel score is upcoming, do you guys like to listen to the first scores as preparation? I've found myself going through the first two scores a lot recently.

Yeah, me too. Maybe the day I buy the third I'll have a little listening party of the first two beforehand.

Ray Barnsbury

Well,wallpapers and movie stills,doesn't seem like it will take much space on the c.d.,but why do they bother,i bet all these stills can be found online already

K.M.

It's just filler to use up the extra space left over on the disc when there is no room for additional music. It's supposed to be added incentive to buy the disc but I have a sneaking feeling just record labels just use it as a nonsensical excuse to jack up the price. According to information on CDPage.com, the extra space used to be unusable because the early manufacturing technology wasn't capable of molding the outer edge of discs reliably. Now, that isn't an issue anymore so discs can hold a higher capacity of data.

When a sequel score is upcoming, do you guys like to listen to the first scores as preparation? I've found myself going through the first two scores a lot recently.

Not really. I've heard the previous film scores alot and the movies have been on cable alot recently so I've been hearing the scores that way too.

I just want the new music.

Any word on a listening party as of yet? I wonder what the likelihood of us getting one is. Does anyone know when it was for the Chamber of Secrets in relation to the CD release date.

Ted, who will be listening to the POA cd exactly three weeks from now

I'm sort of hoping there is no listening party not to be tempted to listen to the score in inferior sound,at least on the PC i would be listening to it on.My PC = dial-up.My dad's PC=broadband but horrible screeching soundcard.

K.M.

I'm sort of hoping there is no listening party not to be tempted to listen to the score in inferior sound,at least on the PC i would be listening to it on.My PC = dial-up.My dad's PC=broadband but horrible screeching soundcard.

K.M.

How old are you?

Somewhere between JoeinAr and Neil.

Don't worry,I don't live with my parents,but i go over and use their computer if I have a rare need to listen to non-downloadable streaming audio.Since I don't download much stuff except movie trailers sometimes, i don't need broadband internet.

K.M.

It's funny to notice that the first thing that comes to mind for a JW fan when a new score about to be released is how to get the score ripped from the DVD and make his own expanded album :D

Few years ago we could only dream of such things.

I reread the PoA last weekend and I found couple track titles odd. The Window to the Past is little unclear and could have something to do with Harry's flashbacks when the Dementors approach or as Justin said it could mean the Hogsmeade scenes where Harry discovers facts about his past.

And The Whomping Willow and Snowball fight. The Snowballfight has to be a new scene not mentioned in the book but that's no news flash that the movie differs from the book.

Williams' cue names pose another frustrating quality when there is a two part title like the one above. Are these two scenes linked and the cue is one complete whole or is it a composite in the old Williams fashion of to different scenes from different parts of the movie as he does not like to present small cues alone on the album and edits two together (this is common amoung the film composers, excluding Thomas Newman)

By the way the Mischief Managed! cue name refers to the spell to erase the Marauder Map so it could be an end credits suite or epilogue piece.

Sometimes they seem little unimaginative like in the Presumed Innocent. If I remember correctly there are quitea few titles ending with the word "scene" in it. As I said before I don't mind the spoilerish track titles and those who do should not buy the soundtrack. I prefer that the cue is labeled clearly and tell what happens in the scene.

Not as bad as Eiger Sanction. I think theme from Eiger Sanction 1-5 are better than than the other 13.

Potter conversation goes on a side track but is this anything new :D

Eiger Sanction has just about 5 different cues named "The theme from Eiger Sanction" but atleast Williams isn't giving away any info on the movie :roll:

If these track titles are true we should be happy. I would hope Williams would venture once more to produce an over 73,5 minute album like he did with Hook. The longer the release of Harry Potter score is the better (not being the same way with e.g. James Horner's scores. He has generous score albums, even too generous. Four Feathers bored me to tears with it's legnth and content. I'm glad I only borrowed it from the library. Horribly boring. I hope Troy doesn't follow the same trend.). Once again I slipped little Horner bashing in to my message. Life worth living again. ;)

By the way I saw the Rocketeer few days ago and listened to the score in the film. Main theme is nice but just as the music started to sound good the man had to rip JW Death Star motif as the Bad guy theme for the film. Horribly obvious and frustrating. I always wait for the moment in Horner score where the selfplagiarism or plagiarism sets in and ruins the score.

Unfortunately, track titles are not Williams' strong side.

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Tourists on the Menu

The Conversation

Hook-Napped

High-Wire Stunts

He might not be a Davis, Goldenthal or Young as far as track titles go, but he does have some very neat ones.

Marian - :music:

Great titles occaisionaly of course, but not the clearest ones. I think all tracks titles should be like the Friends episode titles- The one with.....

The Snowballfight has to be a new scene not mentioned in the book but that's no news flash that the movie differs from the book.  

The snowball fight is actually when Harry, hidden in the Invisibility Cloak, beats on Malfoy. I guess they decided snow was better than mud. Should be interesting.

I think all tracks titles should be like the Friends episode titles- The one with.....

LOL

Ray Barnsbury

Anyoner know how much music in on the POA CD in terms of time?  

Seems like it will have about 65 minutes worth.

I bet its about 8 or 9 minutes longer than that.

Hopefully. A nice 78 or 79-minute release would be great. We'd at least be getting more music for the same price.

Ray Barnsbury

There is a snowball fight mentioned in at least one of the Harry Potter books, but it only takes up a couple paragraphs, and it strikes me as a very cuttable scene.