• Journey to the Island,Jurassic Park
    • The Helicopter Sequence,Superman
    • The Towering Inferno,Main Title
    • The Mecha World,A.I.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journey To The Island for me, though they are all excellent.

Ted, who often forgets how brilliant the Towering Inferno main title is

Well, for me both tracks from Jurassic Park are out the the question. Too bad, because the first part of 'Journey to the Island' really had things going for itself. And then there's is the Shawn Murphy factor which this album suffers greatly from.

'The Helicopter Sequence' in Superman is a classic action scene during the film's Metropolis part. However, musically, I don't see it as a highlight, nor do I think the scene called for one.

The Towering Inferno sets a 70s atmosphere from the moment you put it on. Judging from its positive theme, there was clearly no oil crisis going on. And it certainly doesn't give you the impression that a skyscraper will ignite any minute and burn like an enormous torch. The Towering Inferno comes in second.

The Mecha World is not typical Williams and yet it is. Despite its clockwork orchestration, this theme is filled with deep emotions of grandeur and sadness. It's almost as if John Williams celebrates mankind, and looking at the scene he scored it for, he probably did. Williams shows he's not afraid to be different and Spielberg dares to let him. Many may find it an odd choice but The Mecha World gets my vote in this poll.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, for me both tracks from Jurassic Park are out the the question. Too bad, because the first part of 'Journey to the Island' really had things going for itself. And then there's is the Shawn Murphy factor which this album suffers greatly from.

Jurassic Park is one of Shawn Murphy's best recording and mixing jobs.

It is simply perfect!

'The Helicopter Sequence' in Superman is a classic action scene during the film's Metropolis part. However, musically, I don't see it as a highlight, nor do I think the scene called for one.

I agree, it's good film scoring, but it's being vastly overrated as the best cue from Superman.

Pretty much the same thing for me.

I remember seeing the film back in 93, those images, and suddenly that brilliant fanfare comes in over the speakers.

Jurassic Park may not be a brilliant film, but that scene is one fine piece of filmmaking.

My guess is most of you are fans because of Jurassic Park. Either that or it was the Potter who brought you in. Never knew the Potter worked as a recruiter :sleepy: .

Stefancos, there's a boosted high frequency in Jurassic Park that you clearly don't seem to hear. It's pretty fatiguing. It has the same characteristics like some Bowers&Wilkins speakers tend to have (the bad ones). They have a regressed midrange and a accentuated top high frequency that creates a very unnatural and artificial impression of air in every recording. It's a major flaw (of course, some see this as a plus) that makes even the harshest recorded music sound smooth. If one plays Jurassic Park on these type of speakers, the result is simply devastating. Another side effect of Murphy's "exciter tricks" is that the bow noises (of the strings) and wind or blow noises (flutes, most specifically) are being exaggerated too, adding cold metallic sounding artifacts to a recording. Believe me, the recording of Jurassic Park is mighty far from perfect. If all Williams CDs should sound like JP, I wouldn't even be a JW fan.

----------------

Alex Cremers - waiting for Stefancos to only react on the last sentence.

Stefancos, there's a boosted high frequency in Jurassic Park that you clearly don't seem to hear.

Probably.

It's pretty fatiguing.

I disagree.

It has the same characteristics like some Bowers&Wilkins speakers tend to have (the bad ones).

I only have my Akai speakers and the Sony Fontopia earplugs to go by, and the CD sounds brilliant on both.

They have a regressed midrange and a accentuated top high frequency that creates a very unnatural and artificial impression of air in every recording.

If you say so, I really don't care, JP is one of the best sounding scores I ever heard.

It's a major flaw (of course, some see this as a plus)

How can perfection be a flaw?

If one plays Jurassic Park on these type of speakers, the result is simply devastating.

Get better speakers!

Believe me, the recording of Jurassic Park is mighty far from perfect.

That's your opinion, which you seem to consider a Law.

If all Williams CDs should sound like JP, I wouldn't even be a JW fan.

<biting my tongue>

Alex Cremers - waiting for Stefancos to only react on the last sentence.

HA!

If one plays Jurassic Park on these type of speakers, the result is simply devastating.  

Alex Cremers

Get better speakers!

Stefancos

I don't have these type of speakers, Stefancos. I don't want speakers that hide the truth. I only have very good speakers. Speakers that reveal the truth. But I don't wanna brag about it so I shut up now before it gets out of hand.

It's a major flaw (of course, some see this as a plus)

Alex Cremers

How can perfection be a flaw?  

Stefancos

Here I was talking about a certain type of speaker.

----------------

Alex Cremers - not sure if Stefancos is fully with him.

I'm not if you don't think Jurassic Park is a brilliantly composed, brilliantly recorded score.

I think everybody in the industry felt that Williams was on automatic pilot when he did Jurassic Park. It was a routine job that had to be done. It certainly doesn't belong in Williams' heyday oeuvre, if that's what you are thinking. You've been "recruited" by a mediocre score, Stefancos. But the important thing is that you got to know Williams.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think everybody in the industry felt that Williams was on automatic pilot when he did Jurassic Park.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks that is the funniest thing i've heard today.

So, now you are the voice of the industry?

Please entertain me further by telling me how you gathered the general opinion of "the industry"?

Theme from Jurassic Park is in my top 5 all time Williams "Concert Versions",so to ne it's irrelevent that he was on autopilot.I love that theme,but I find the underscore in the second part of the album less memorable than his other adventure scores.

K.M.

To be honest, I haven't heard the relevant tracks from The Towering Inferno or Superman but I simply adore "The Mecha World," so it gets my vote.

CYPHER

I guess I must have some kind of genetic combo that doesn't make JP all that thrilling for me. I just don't like JP theme. I did like it when it was used once the power's restored and in "Visitor in San Diego", around 2:30.

Yeah, I like listening to "The Big Rescue" from Superman, but Mecha World just takes the cake for me. That's one fine piece of music.

So far the poll speaks the truth. Though all four of the others are good or great. The Towering Inferno main title always sounded to me like the opening to a news broadcast (The movie left little to no impact on me).

As Alex suggested, Potter was what brought me in as a JW fan. Though Jurassic Park played a HUGE part in it too. The first time I saw it I was too young to think of the music and such, but as the years progressed I noticed first the Island fanfare and then the beautiful Theme form Jurassic Park. I investigated Williams' other works on the internet, to find that he composed the only movie themes that i considered memorable (that is, that I recognised); Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park.

Then Potter came along, and I fell in love with the music from the trailer. And so it was. The first CD I had ever purchased was the soundtrack from the film Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. The fact that I was a huge fan of the books before I even knew a movie was in the works helped greatly for my interest. But as I grew up I realised that I never liked the music other people liked. I never listened to the radio, never watched "Video Hits" and I never knew the lyrics to the hit pop sings at the time. But I did like orchestral, and more speciafically, scores.

That is my story. Feel privileged .

Sorry Alex, you're beginning to lose all credibility for me, as you continue to state your opinion as fact without any valid arguments to support this.

The best helicopter cue I think Williams has done is his inflight music from LAX to the Hollywood Bowl. All 4 mins and 20 seconds of it.

Hitch, who likes a short ride in a fast machine

Sorry Alex, you're beginning to lose all credibility for me, as you continue to state your opinion as fact without any valid arguments to support this.

What is this about? Jurassic Park? Do I lose credibility because I say it's a mediocre score (and a mediocre film)? How about your credibility? Do you gain credibility by saying it's a wonderful score? Do I ask for your valid arguments when you say you adore a score?

If you feel that I should start every opinion I state here with, "In my point of view", then yes, I'm guilty. I admit I don't do that in every post I make. But if I'm guilty, then so are a lot of other members here at jwfan.net. Especially those members who are constantly nagging about the credibility of someone else. You know who you are.

BTW, ChrisAfonso, if you want that I support my opinions with arguments, then all you have to do is ask. Problem is though, when two people have different opinions, they are both right.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Problem is though, when two people have different opinions, they are both right.

No, they are both wrong.

Why do you choose to see everything so negatively, Stefancos?

Journey to the Island. Great cue.

Plus, it's the cue that made me fall in love with Williams' music.

- Marc

Idem.

My guess is most of you are fans because of Jurassic Park. Either that or it was the Potter who brought you in. Never knew the Potter worked as a recruiter  ;) .

Not me - it was actually the "By Request" Pops tape, if you can believe it. ;)

Stefancos, there's a boosted high frequency in Jurassic Park that you clearly don't seem to hear. It's pretty fatiguing. It has the same characteristics like some Bowers&Wilkins speakers tend to have (the bad ones). They have a regressed midrange and a accentuated top high frequency that creates a very unnatural and artificial impression of air in every recording. It's a major flaw (of course, some see this as a plus) that makes even the harshest recorded music sound smooth. If one plays Jurassic Park on these type of speakers, the result is simply devastating. Another side effect of Murphy's "exciter tricks" is that the bow noises (of the strings) and wind or blow noises (flutes, most specifically) are being exaggerated too, adding cold metallic sounding artifacts to a recording. Believe me, the recording of Jurassic Park is mighty far from perfect. If all Williams CDs should sound like JP, I wouldn't even be a JW fan.

I dunno - I'm no expert at this, but I thought the recording sounded "sparkly" when I heard it. Perhaps that's the high frequencies at work, but my ears didn't object. I don't think any recording can ever sound like you're really there (which is how I'd define a perfect recording) - or even the way I'd prefer to hear things, from the perspective of someone in the middle of the horn section. (but of course that's impossible since that's just weird)

Well, I'm glad Murphy finally stopped using this exaggerated "sparkle". Too many Williams CDs of the 90s (Far and Away, Jurassic Park, Seven Years in Tibet, etc.) have been molested by this so-called sparkle he added. It became his trademark sound.

Oh BTW, since I've experimented with all kinds of "enhancers" or "exciters" myself, I know very well what their effect sounds like.

I always feel a bit sad when I hear some of well recorded film music in that period.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I like Journey to the Island the best. The way it starts out is awesome. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite cd's. Harry Potter is my second favorite, only because that's what "drew me in" to JW. Now I just need to expand my collection with....older stuff. My collection dates back to 1999, unless you count that 2-disk Greatest Hits thing.

Wow, the vast majority of us are clearly inferior!!!

Ray Barnsbury

Yes Ray, and according to you we're all inferior to the fans of Britney and Christina. And LOTR is the best soundtrack ever written. That's how you think. Live with it. You're a sheep. You don't ask questions. In short, you're an easy victim for the dreaded beast that I'm trying to protect you from.

Although you could do worse than Journey to the Island, of course. Let's see and wait how you progress.

----------------

Alex Cremers