• Star Wars Ep. II, Attack of the Clones
    • Minority Report
    • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    • The Terminal

So what is it?

I expect A.I. and the 1st and 3rd Potter scores to score well,

I expect MR, AOTC, and CMIYC to not score as well. The Terminal will get some votes too.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.I. was beautiful. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was fun. Attack of the Clones was great. Minority Report was brilliant. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was delightful. Catch Me If You Can had an enjoyable and playful theme. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was dark and whimsical. I've yet to hear The Terminal.

As usual with these polls, I'm at a loss at which to choose.

I'll vote after I've bought and heard The Terminal, which is the only score from the list I'm still lacking. Decca hasn't still announced the released date for the score in my country for the June--September season, so it might be released in winter I suppose. I'll keep checking, though.

The Roman ;)

LOL! That was a gret one, pixie_twinkle.

I go with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, for one simple reason. It introduced me to the world of music, sparked my interest. It made me want to be a composer.

What a funny question to ask on a board that is predominantly Potter-minded. You're doing it again, Joe. It seems to me that you're somehow always seeking recognition for what you believe is the only worthwhile Williams these days, namely, the Potter scores.

The first time I heard some snippets from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, I was so shocked of how familiar the themes were sounding, that I didn't bother to buy the CD. Instead of listening to some new music, I thought I was listening to "The Best of Williams from the Last 10 Years".

----------------

Alex Cremers

So, what did you vote then Alex?

As a side note, I'm guessing the reason that these are Potter-boards is because Williams' score for Philosopher's Stone recruited fans, as Jurassic Park did a decade ago, and other of Williams' blockbuster scores.

What a funny question to ask on a board that is predominantly Potter-minded. You're doing it again, Joe. It seems to me that you're somehow always seeking recognition for what you believe is the only worthwhile Williams these days, namely, the Potter scores.  

The first time I heard some snippets from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, I was so shocked of how familiar the themes were sounding, that I didn't bother to buy the CD. Instead of listening to some new music, I thought I was listening to "The Best of Williams from the Last 10 Years".

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, are you a conspiracy theorist. Do you imagine me as working with Oswald to kill JFK, maybe I convinced Monica to not clean the dress, or maybe I have been working with world terrorists to undermine the fabric of society.

I asked a damn question. Quit playing psychologist looking for the undlying motivations. I personally took out A.I. the other day to relisten to it, wiping the dust off, then I will listen to the rest. I began to wonder about these scores in the 21st century and what people thought of them. I was/am trying to be as objective as possible for me(which may not be possible). I will vote after listening to all the cds

If you continue to have a JoeinAr/Potter problem then why don't YOU start some threads for a change. Instead of replying all the time, why don't you start the discussion.

So, what did you vote then Alex?

I voted for A.I. because A.I. has 'The Mecha World'. Minority Report comes in second because it has the wonderful 'A New Beginning', a theme which in my opinion is as good as any of his very best (if somebody said that Williams wrote this in 1982 then I would believe him).

I don't have The Terminal just yet.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Quit playing psychologist looking for the undlying motivations.

I can't help it. I...see...things...and I add them up.

Yikes.... this is difficult. I don't know - I haven't heard AI yet, I love the Potters, and CMIYC and The Terminal are brilliant. But AOTC really stands out to me for some reason, too - I don't know if it surpasses the Potters and the brilliance of CMIYC & TT.... hmm. I'll have to think too!

I also voted for Azkaban. Like Alex, HP:PS sounded a little too familiar to me when I first heard it. I like it immensely, don't get me wrong, but it isn't Williams most original work... Azkaban on the other hand is a great sequel score, surprisingly fresh. I hear very little previous Williams in it.

Jeff

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" just barely edged out "AI" and "Minority Report." Though the latter two scores are great because Williams showed off some very fine inventive orchestrations, "Sorcerer's Stone" is simply fun and works so well in the film. In fact, the music drives the story forward constantly, never letting up.

Jeff -- who still gets chills when he hears "Quidditch Match" and "Mr. Longbottom Flies"

Catch Me If You Can is my favorite, although it shows less range than Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is about as varied as it gets within a single Williams score.

Interesting choice Alan. If I remember correctly you initially panned the score.

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. Very...mystical, just like the book. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but both the album and the music as heard in the film feels a bit disjointed; there's no "bridge" between each radically different piece of music.

Attack of the Clones was great.
Terrible...yes...but great.

Attack of the Clones is incomplete and at times boring/uninspired, but it still has many great moments. :?

If I remember correctly you initially panned the score.

You're quite right. Basically, I'd wanted a Mancini score and pouted when I didn't get one. It's hard to avoid allowing your expectations to become the sole basis on which you evaluate something.

You're quite right. Basically, I'd wanted a Mancini score and pouted when I didn't get one. It's hard to avoid allowing your expectations to become the sole basis on which you evaluate something.

good point

It's hard to avoid allowing your expectations to become the sole basis on which you evaluate something.

Indeed it is! I'm trying hard to not have very specific expectations for upcoming scores like I did for PoA most recently.

Ray Barnsbury

I ended up voting for PoA,for the whole score,the album and the rest of the music in the film.PS has great themes and concert arrangement which are already Williams classics,but in the first half of the movie it`s basically Hedwig`s Theme looped over and over again,which got annoying.A.I. is great too,but overall a bit of a downer and I prefer Williams rousing styled score.A.I. may be the best atypical Williams score.

K.M.Who might elevate PoA in his top 10 Williams list.

Indeed it is! I'm trying hard to not have very specific expectations for upcoming scores like I did for PoA most recently.

Yeah, good idea. I expected reprises of all my favorite Harry Potter themes and consequently was terribly disappointed with the album. I've now come to appreciate it greatly, however.

But despite some great singles like "Fawkes the Phoenix" and "Dueling the Basilisk," The Chamber of Secrets has at least half an hour of reused music from The Sorceror's Stone and even a bit of "The Chase Through Coruscant" from Attack of the Clones. It's a thematic mess because of this recycled music. The Chamber of Secrets Theme shows up, what, twice in the film before its end credits performance? While the decision to change the Sorceror's Stone Motif into an all-around Evil Motif was a good one, I think it is too prominent; in some places the Chamber of Secrets Theme should have been used instead (particularly when McGonagall is explaining the Chamber). The Harry/Friends theme plays constantly, which simply makes its absence in the following film more jolting.

I voted for AI though I don't know if I can say "best score" since it implies the other choices somehow failed the movie in a way that AI didn't. But with that usual caviet, AI is the most interesting and rich to listen to - at times quite beautiful - especially if we include the entire score, not just the album.

- Adam

I agree with your CoS comments, Cerrabore. The flagrant overuse of the 3-note motif is pretty disappointing, especially when the Chamber theme could and should be used in place of it. Like perhaps when THE CHAMBER ITSELF IS BEING OPENED. Sheesh. But still, I can't dismiss the score as it produced Fawkes the Phoenix, one Williams' very best.

Ray Barnsbury

Voted CMIYC myself... It was pure joy for me, to hear JW stretch all the way back to the 60's and dredge up a voice I think he may have forgotten... I, for one, would love to hear more jazz from The John Towner sound machine... :D

But despite some great singles like "Fawkes the Phoenix" and "Dueling the Basilisk," The Chamber of Secrets has at least half an hour of reused music from The Sorceror's Stone and even a bit of "The Chase Through Coruscant" from Attack of the Clones. It's a thematic mess because of this recycled music. The Chamber of Secrets Theme shows up, what, twice in the film before its end credits performance? While the decision to change the Sorceror's Stone Motif into an all-around Evil Motif was a good one, I think it is too prominent; in some places the Chamber of Secrets Theme should have been used instead (particularly when McGonagall is explaining the Chamber). The Harry/Friends theme plays constantly, which simply makes its absence in the following film more jolting.

Not only that, it was mixed way too damn low in the film.

:?

Why does some people say CMIYC sounds like 60's Johnny Williams.To me it sounds like 2002 Williams.Some of the orchestrations are the same as Harry Potter.

K.M.

you people talk about orchestrations, I have no idea what you mean by that. CMIYC evokes memories of the 60's, which I believe I have more than anyone else here.

It means take a typical 60's Johnny Williams comedy score,like Guide to the Married Man or Fitzwilly,and it sounds nothing like CMIYC.So CMIYC sounds like it was composed by Williams in 2002 for a movie set in the 60's...

K.M. :D

I agree with your CoS comments, Cerrabore. The flagrant overuse of the 3-note motif is pretty disappointing, especially when the Chamber theme could and should be used in place of it. Like perhaps when THE CHAMBER ITSELF IS BEING OPENED.

Even though that is my favorite rendition of the Sorceror's Stone Motif ever (remixed from "Meeting Tom Riddle"?), you're right. If it had only been used when Harry leaves Riddle's diary...man, that would've been powerful. But no... :?

It means take a typical 60's Johnny Williams comedy score,like Guide to the Married Man or Fitzwilly,and it sounds nothing like CMIYC.So CMIYC sounds like it was composed by Williams in 2002 for a movie set in the 60's...

Now it's my turn to say, "Very well put, K.M.!"

----------------

Alex Cremers

True, CMIYC sounds nothing like those scores. And I don't even think it's a throwback, no movie in the 60's would have a score like this.

The Chamber of Secrets has...even a bit of "The Chase Through Coruscant" from Attack of the Clones.

I was wondering if anybody else heard this! I couldn't believe my ears when I saw this in the theater.

Why does some people say CMIYC sounds like 60's Johnny Williams.To me it sounds like 2002 Williams.

K.M.

Indeed it does, considering that the B theme for CMIYC is straight out of Across the Stars with different orchestration....

The flagrant overuse of the 3-note motif is pretty disappointing, especially when the Chamber theme could and should be used in place of it.  Like perhaps when THE CHAMBER ITSELF IS BEING OPENED.  

Ray Barnsbury

I think it's appropriate, as the theme always made me think "Vol-de-mort" when I heard it - perhaps he's just foreshadowing what is to come in the Chamber? Or maybe it's one of those weird leitmotivic statements, like in ESB when Leia and Lando and Chewie are running around and we hear Yoda's Theme as a march? Yoda is nowhere near, nobody but Luke knows about Yoda so Leia and Lando can't be thinking about him - I guess it's the third scenario for leitmotif use, where the theme signifies the effect of a character who isn't present. But Luke isn't in most of the shot, and he's kind of the effect of Yoda on the scene... all I can come up with is that Williams said "Rules, what rules?" and scored it as he pleased. Perhaps the opening of the Chamber is like that?

My vote goes to AOTC, since it's by far the one I've listened to the most. SS, POA, and COS are close behind (I love Lockhart's theme - very Hook-ish in mood!)

The use of the Sorcerer's Stone theme in Cos was a horrible decision that I hope was more Ross than JW. And the Opening of the Chamber was the worst of the lot! It's the only time I've actually physically cringed listening to a Williams score (of course this time it wasn't all Williams, which was the problem). So many moments that could have used the incredible Chamber theme.

My vote goes to AOTC also. Any score that I spend the better part of two days on various computers on campus trying to download it off any site I can find, then spend the month leading up to the film listening to it non-stop gets my vote. And yes, I did buy it when it came out in case anybody was wondering. ;)

A highly underrated score, in my opinion. It suffers from the lack of the big action/battle climax it should have had, but I'm still hoping beyond hope that something will be done about that during the Ep. 3 scoring sessions. Not likely, though. The three (or really 2 and a half) HP scores come right after.

Wow, I'm not surprised at all by the results so far, I knew AI would get alot of votes, as would Sorcerer's Stone.

I am surprise that AOTC has as many as it does. It is a wretched score. The worst of John's scores in alot of years. The film isn't very good, but the score is even worse. AOTC deserved a better score from John.

HPFAN said COS, but it has no votes, so what did he vote for?

I would put it this way, just my opinion.

1 POA

1A HPSS

1AA A.I. (except for the techno shit, its horrid)

4 CMIYC (sounds 60's to me)

5 COS

6 Terminal

7 MR, saved from the worst only by AOTC, JW was in a serious funk that summer, he was having a Zimmer moment.

8 AOTC, the dregs, John probably farts better stuff than this.