New Varese Club CD...Fitzwilly??....

pete

Well someone has been doing some detective work...

A copy and past job from FSM board,

If its true, my credit card is in for a beating..

(The TimeLine cover looks grooovey)!

Timeline, Jerry Goldsmith

http://www.colosseum.de/cdclub/vcl08046600_150.jpg

The Great Train Robbery, Jerry Goldsmith

http://www.colosseum.de/cdclub/vcl08046500_150.jpg

Piranha, Pino Dinaggio

http://www.colosseum.de/cdclub/vcl08041031_150.jpg

Fitzwilly, John(ny) Williams

http://www.colosseum.de/cdclub/vcl08041030_150.jpg

The Great Escape, Elmer Bernstein

http://www.colosseum.de/cdclub/vcl08041029_150.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy birthday Marian :nono:

But now, what will you have to complain about in the next "Varese's New Club release....." thread? Your life as a film score collector has just reached it's zenith, how could you possibly top this? 8O

Morlock- giddy about these titles

The Great Escape was already released, and it and Timeline are indeed regular releases. I don't know if it's true or not, but it seems like a strange rumor to start spreading, if it weren't true. If it is, I hope

Bob Townson bitch slaps Colosseum for ruining his presentation.

Wasn't The Great Escape a Ryko release?

If so then why would Varese make it a club release instead of just a regular re-release of this score?

I'm guessing these links indicate future Varese releases, but NOT perse the club releases.

Fitzwilly could be a Club release, The Great Train Robbery certainly is, but I have doubts about The Great Escape and Timeline.

The Great Escape was Ryko, Varese released it. It was jus ta regular rerlease. Fitzwilly I don't know about. I don't know how Tsunami releases fit into the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure Tsunami controls everything, even a company like Varèse Sarabande. They're the tastemakers of our time. They're the ones who are in the "deciding" business. They can make or break any upcoming artist. One word from them and Michael Giacchino is the N°1 film composer in Hollywood.

The Great Escape cover does contain something in red at the top....something something edition? Could it be a special complete edition just for the club? I have no idea if the original release was complete though, just a wild speculative guess.

Fitzwilly, There is a whole lot of music left off the Tsunami release...could we be getting the complete score? Probably not a burning issue, but it'll at least be good to hear that robbery music in better sound.

This is a pain. I just ordered the Tsunami version yesterday. If I had just waited a day I could have held off for this. Now I have to decide whether or not to get the Varese version aswell. Will have to wait and see what this score is like.

Poor Marian, he has no money. ;)
Happy birthday Marian :nono:

I'll have to rob a bank or something.

But now, what will you have to complain about in the next "Varese's New Club release....." thread? Your life as a film score collector has just reached it's zenith, how could you possibly top this? 8O

Oh, it just means I can finally cry for some other scores... Alien, Images, Spaceballs, or Disney's Robin Hood... 8O

Anyway, I kinda hope they're not all Club releases. It was said several times that Timeline was going to be a regular release. And I want four of these, so it would be good to know that two of them aren't limited...

Marian - looking for money.

Why the heck would Varese release a deluxe edition of The Great Escape so soon after their re-release of the Ryko version?

- Danielle, annoyed if this is true... I've only just got the other one :nono:

The current Great Escape was a re-recording with a smaller orchestra. That's how they did soundtrack albums back then. And Bernstein wrote a lot more music than that for the film, so I'm sure this deluxe edition will be the actual film performances with extra music and all. I have no problems with it.

I guess if Goldsmith's Timeline was a limited issue, it probably would make more sense business wise. Not all consumers are all that wise, and with the movie being less than a box office hit and Tyler's soundtrack available everywhere, it would confuse people all the same.

As for Fitzwilly, that's swell. Now all they have to do is release How to Steal a Million.

You can usually find some small change in the cracks of your sofa.

Not in mine. But I found two euros in the kitchen cupboard. That 's not even enough for the shipping.

And Justin, the first rule of film music is: You do not sell a Jerry.

Marian - hoping Justin knows the second rule.

Marian - hoping Justin knows the second rule.

Sure do! Never have sex with your CD's. You know you've all thought about it!

Justin - Who figures it's probably pretty nasty.

News break: I just saw at eBay this cd and also includes music from The Long Goodbye, limited to 2000 copies. I'm pretty sure this is the thing, since the seller info is reliable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true

Miguel, going back to hibernation.

The Timeline album runs for 47 minutes. It appears to contain all of the important cues (including the fantastic eleven minute finale) sequenced in film order. Some of the shorter cues have been combined into longer tracks.

The complete score runs for 73 minutes, but don't forget that this score was recorded in LA with union musicians. We're lucky to get more than 35 minutes on the album.

News break: I just saw at eBay this cd and also includes music from The Long Goodbye, limited to 2000 copies. I'm pretty sure this is the thing, since the seller info is reliable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true

Miguel, going back to hibernation.

How the feck can it be on Ebay when it's just been announced and not released yet?

And why would anyone buy it for $24.95 when it's $5 cheaper straight from Varese?

Some people... :)

How the feck can it be on Ebay when it's just been announced and not released yet?

And why would anyone buy it for $24.95 when it's $5 cheaper straight from Varese?

Some people... :)

For many people it is easier and sometimes the only option to get something on Ebay. And with the combined shipping for multiple items you get and the cheaper shipping rates to Europe (which you get from that particular seller), it is far easier for people to use this. And many people dont' feel safe trusting their Credit card info to anything other than Paypal.

I'd really like to commend Varese for this superb collection. I'll be for sure getting 4 of these, and will probably get Pirhana just to see what all the fuss is about (and at that price- why not?).

The Timeline album runs for 47 minutes.  It appears to contain all of the important cues (including the fantastic eleven minute finale) sequenced in film order.  Some of the shorter cues have been combined into longer tracks.  

The complete score runs for 73 minutes, but don't forget that this score was recorded in LA with union musicians.  We're lucky to get more than 35 minutes on the album.

Aww, well it is better than nothing :)

I think it is music we will never get, right?

Is Fitzwilly worth buying? What Williams album can you compare it with concerning sound?

And The Long Goodbye?

Fitzwilly is Williams in his Mancini mode. "Make Me Raindbows" bears an uncanny resemblance to his theme to Sabrina, if that helps any. It is all that '60s, pop flavored score -- the sort of thing Herrmann really hated (partly because he couldn't write like that).

I've never heard The Long Goodbye and it's one of a couple of Robert Altman films I have not seen, but I'm sure it will be interesting to hear. (Now if someone would only release Images, that would be something!)

I'm fairly satisfied with the latest offerings from Varese. The Timeline album is probably what Goldsmith conceived for release, so complete or not, I'll think of it as his final legacy. I would guess given the circumstances, the LA Musicians might have given Varese a break on the re-use fees had they chosen to release something longer. They loved him.

Well,Fitzwilly is the same as the Tsunami c.d.Even if it sounds slightly better it's not that important for this score.I'm not sure I'd get it just for the Long Goodbye cues,I don't care for jazz variations of the same theme,if it was an orchestral score I might think differently.

K.M.Dissapointed Varese cannot find a way to release more important unreleased Williams scores

I've never heard The Long Goodbye and it's one of a couple of Robert Altman films I have not seen, but I'm sure it will be interesting to hear.

Eplicon,

I for one am thrilled that The Long Goodbye is being released! That's something that doesn't happen every day... ROTFLMAO

Damien, with an in-joke for fans of The Long Goodbye.

I also very pleased with these latest offerings. I have the Tsunami release of Fitzwilly as well as the one cue from "Sax and Violence" of "The Long Goodbye", but I bought the VS cd anyhow to have a more complete release of "TLG".

The others are good offerings as well! I can't wait to hear 'em!

Piranha is probably a club release, it's old, obcsure and by a not very well known composer.

Stefan, in America Pino Donaggio is the most famous of all composers, why there are statues of him on virtually every street corner.

Joe, who owns several Donaggio scores, wishing he had Tourist Trap

Piranha is probably a club release, it's old, obcsure and by a not very well known composer.

Stefan, in America Pino Donaggio is the most famous of all composers, why there are statues of him on virtually every street corner.

Joe, who owns several Donaggio scores, wishing he had Tourist Trap

Joe,

I have a LP of "Tourist Trap". I can make you a LP-cassette transfer if you wish. Let me know.

Varèse Sarabande announces the first official CD release of John Williams' Fitzwilly (1967) and The Long Goodbye (1973)

So when is a release called 'official'? At least around here the Tsunami release was regarded official.