And the composer for Harry Potter & GOF is.......

ocelot

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I didn't desperately want Williams especially for the fourth Potter, this would make me very happy.

Marian - wondering if Doyle can go dark enough for the graveyard sequence.

:) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

He's a very versatile composer, very classical, great orchestrations and not Hollywoody, so I like the choice!!!!!

No offense to Mr. Doyle, but I'm extremely disappointed that this is apparently final. It's not as though it's unexpected though. :)

Ray Barnsbury - who is 95% sure he'll buy the soundtrack

Doyle has written some great scores but I understand you being upset since of course all of us would love another Williams score, but this is much better than having Elfman, or Zimmer, or Horner or someone like that doing it.

I am dissappointed to hear this news, but I guess I will save my judgement until I hear teh score.

:-( sad that we won't get hear another great Williams score for HP GOF

Doyle has written some great scores but I understand you being upset since of course all of us would love another Williams score, but this is much better than having Elfman, or Zimmer, or Horner or someone like that doing it.

Definitely.

Doyle used to be one of my favourite composers, until I kind of lost track of his newer works a while ago. He certainly deserves a big film like this. And I think he excels at operatically staged personal drama, just see the wedding sequence in Much Ado About Nothing.

BTW, as Chris Afonso can verify, I've said repeatedly that the trumpets in the middle section of Buckbeak's Flight keep reminding me of Doyle.

Marian - who still wants Williams...

I never thought it would really be without Williams. But Doyle is as good a second choice as it gets. Thank god they didn't get someone like Debney to do it.

Out with the bad, in with the good- I wonder what Doyle is gonna do with Williams' themes. He can't drop them, and this is a really rare occurance that a real composer is doing a sequel with another real composer's themes (especialy 3 films worth of them).

Well, it's not Williams. That sucks.

But that being said I agree that this is better than Zimmer, Horner, etc. I hope he preserves some of Williams' themes, I can't imagine a Harry Potter movie opening without Hedwig's Theme. But I don't want him to feel bound to Williams' previous work either. That way leads to mediocre scores (Superman sequels and JP III spring instantly to mind).

John- 99% sure he'll buy the soundtrack, but still disappointed even though this news has been coming for months.

:cry: :D :? :)

I want to know what really happened.I mean Williams schedual is cleared for thay period.Was there somekind of falling out with the HP producers?

K.M.Extrmrly dissapointed,and doesn't see any upside to it.

There was no falling out with the producers at all. They wanted him to continue but he wanted to do another project which is at the same time, it's jut not been posted yet. I think it has something to do with Geishas.... but don't quote me on that just yet... DOn't know if he got it or not.

do we need to hire some wailing women for this event or something?

Cue your favorite Zimmer:

ethnic WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

John- not too happy about this, but trying to be positive. It's not like we didn't have any warning.

YESSS!!!

I'm sorry for those of you who wanted Williams to score it, but I'm so excited about this choice...

Interestingly, I was listening to Dead Again when I read the announcement on the main page...

He's worked with Newell before with Into the West and Donnie Brasco. The latter may be a tad dull, but the former is absolutely beautiful.

George Martin, Marvin Hamlisch, Bill Conti, Michael Kamen, Eric Serra and David Arnold all used Barry's "James Bond Theme".

I said rare. And I only think one of all those people's efforts was really good in it's use of the theme.

Officially crying now. I consider this the death of something so great, the hp scores have changed my life, without those few notes on the celeste, i wouldn't be the same person i am today.

HPFAN_2 - Considers this almost as bad as the death of Williams himself.

Harry Potter is in good hands with Pat Doyle. He's a very good composer, one of my favorites. Williams needs to do other projects instead of being tied down to one franchise all the time.

yes exactly. Honestly people, I have ordered half a dozen wailing women to come help you through your grief. They will be here in a day or so, please try to hold on by taking major drugs like Xanax and such till they are here to beat on their chests and help you mourn the loss of Williams for the next potter movie.

Well I think that we have to bring up again that most of us Potter fans wouldn't mind so much if Williams walked away after GoF, letting someone else do OotP. It's the fact that GoF the book is loaded from start to finish with potential classic Williams moments, more than possibly any other HP book to date, that makes this a very hard pill to swallow.

I leave for four hours and THIS happens. I'm very sad indeed. Like HPFAN, my life has changed forever because of the score from Philosopher's Stone. I would have no direction in my life now if it wasn't for that score (or at least it would be a very different direction). Still, I should be happy with that much, and I certainly am. I'm glad he left the series on such an excellent note (no pun intended). We should be celebrating Williams involvement, not lamenting this now!

I look foward to Doyle's score.

Magical Me - Who's putting on a brave face, but failing miserably...

This news is only dampered by Williams doing WoTW next year.RotS and WotW could be a great year.RotS remains my most anticipated Williams score of all time.

k.M.

This news is only dampered by Williams doing WoTW next year.RotS and WotW could be a great year.RotS remains my most anticipated Williams score of all time.

k.M.

Mine too. And don't forget about Indy 4. No matter what we think of trying to do one with an ancient Ford, the score should deliver.

Well I think that we have to bring up again that most of us Potter fans wouldn't mind so much if Williams walked away after GoF, letting someone else do OotP. It's the fact that GoF the book is loaded from start to finish with potential classic Williams moments, more than possibly any other HP book to date, that makes this a very hard pill to swallow.

Exactly, i actualy wanted him to quit after GOF. That movie has so much potential.

HPFAN_2 - Kinda over it, but not completely

Thank you John for not wasting any more of your precious time on these pathetic films.

Ehhh... Sure, why not? [/Lyle Lanley]

And now, for some valuable non film-score fans on Patrick Doyle:

Now...I don't know most of those movies this guy composed but they all seem to be chick flicks...that just doesn't inspire confidence in me.

What the heck?!?!! NoOoOit wont be the same..well..they better have The famous Hedwig's Theme in it because without that piece it won' t be the same

Can't speak for Mari, our member, but I suppose she's not disappointed over the choice of Patrick Doyle as same as I am not. Sure, and like many others said, I would love to have Williams coming back and swear he was just joking around to keep us in tension until we see his name in the opening credits of Goblet, but I know it's not happening.

We guys can only thank God it's not Howard Shore replacing Williams on Potter films. That would reek of idiotism and shortsightedness.

I'm sure James Horner, Hans Zimmer or Rachel Portman were never even considered while picking up the new name.

Patrick Doyle, as ocelot says, is an extremely skilled composer, plus has sense for -- if you will -- dark music most of all others perhaps only second to Williams. I think Doyle is even a better choice than Danny Elfman would have been.

Interesting they didn't pick William Ross; perhaps he didn't want to do any more Potter or his collaboration on the second chapter didn't impress as it should.

If only Doyle's work on Goblet had the energy of Frankenstein, I'd be satisfied. His recent stuff (Secondhand Lions) is a very well written score as well. I think Patrick Doyle won't ruin the musical landscape of Potter films.

WAAAAAHOOOO!!!!! Thanks for the great news, ocelot!!!! :)

I love it! WILLIAMS NOT DOING POTTER! WAHOO! ;)

I can become a Williams fan again! :D:P

-Chris, Obviously NOT the biggest Potter fan.... :P (Sorry for all you guys [and gals] that are sad about this... but I couldn't be happier! I don't have to ever watch another Potter movie again! :D)

Officially crying now. I consider this the death of something so great, the hp scores have changed my life, without those few notes on the celeste, i wouldn't be the same person i am today.  

What a poor fan you are. And what terrible words! If you were a fan of Williams instead of the kiddie franchise you wouldn't feel or say those things.

----------------

Alex Cremers

They aren't chick flicks!!!! Hamlet? Dead Again? What pray tell, defines a chick flick? Again, more complaints about things, guys... Jeez, we would all like many things in our lives to be different, but for once I seem to be agreeing with Chris..... Everyone relax about everything and just enjoy what comes out, each film, each version of a film, each decision about composer or actor...

I think Doyle will do well. Why not Bill Ross though? He seemed logical. I hope that Doyle does more of an adaptation kind of score rather than come up with new stuff. It wont be the same but it won't be a complete loss. I bet he will do much better then Davis did in JP3.

Saying that Williams might as well be dead is something only an extreme Potter fan would do

That's extreme, yeah. But it was an initial reaction, he since said he's getting over it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear what Doyle does with Potter. I've been listening to soundclips at Filmtracks, and though you can't tell a lot from them, his music sounds nice.

Ray Barnsbury-handling this much better than expected

Hey, guy, calm down. Don't say this kind of things... you're exaggerating at the most. The last line is almost offensive. We should consider us BLESSED for what John Has already did for these movies and feel proud that he continues to give us MARVELOUS scores for every movie he's working on.

Patrick Doyle is a very excellent composer and I'm sure he will deliver amazing colors for this movie.

These are the kind of posts that make me proud NOT to be a permanent or frequent poster here... no offence to anyone, I respect all of you and some of you are really smart and intelligent people. But I feel terribily out of touch with the crazy opinions that spreads here...

Adieu ;)