And the composer for Harry Potter & GOF is.......

ocelot

I hope that Doyle does more of an adaptation kind of score rather than come up with new stuff.  It wont be the same but it won't be a complete loss.

I sort of doubt this. Of course anyone whoever it is to steer the vessel now is obliged to keep the thematically nature "there", but Patrick Doyle will not just do it out with mere "adapting" the existing material. I believe the movie will be scored differently with themes worn up in a new cloak and with Patrick Doyle at the helm I don't have to fear any rift of styles like in JP3.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HPFAN_2 - Considers this almost as bad as the death of Williams himself.

Hey, guy, calm down. Don't say this kind of things... you're exaggerating at the most. The last line is almost offensive. We should consider us BLESSED for what John Has already did for these movies and feel proud that he continues to give us MARVELOUS scores for every movie he's working on.

It's because to me Williams coincides with Potter, it always has, i know he has done dozens of other films but that's not what i started on. I do consider it great that i have three great scores and most importantly Fawkes the Phoenix. Anyway like Ray Barnsbury it was just an initital reaction, i wasn't crying my ass off and i'm not depressed, now i'm looking forward to ROTS and WOTWS. I'm over it.

What a poor fan you are. And what terrible words! If you were a fan of Williams instead of the kiddie franchise you wouldn't feel or say those things.

Saying that Williams might as well be dead is something only an extreme Potter fan would do. Isn't there a Potter forum somewhere? I mean now that it's over?

The more you talk to me the more insiginificant you get. The more you reply to my post and make idiot comments like those the more your image seems to erase in my mind. Slowly but surely you are being rubbed out, your stupidity and dumbassness (yes i did say dumbassness) has completely block you from my mind, to me you don't exist now.

P.S. Have a happy life.

RIP - Alexcremers.

Officially crying now. I consider this the death of something so great, the hp scores have changed my life, without those few notes on the celeste, i wouldn't be the same person i am today.  

HPFAN_2 - Considers this almost as bad as the death of Williams himself.

Hey, guy, calm down. Don't say this kind of things... you're exaggerating at the most. The last line is almost offensive. We should consider us BLESSED for what John Has already did for these movies and feel proud that he continues to give us MARVELOUS scores for every movie he's working on.

Patrick Doyle is a very excellent composer and I'm sure he will deliver amazing colors for this movie.

These are the kind of posts that make me proud NOT to be a permanent or frequent poster here... no offence to anyone, I respect all of you and some of you are really smart and intelligent people. But I feel terribily out of touch with the crazy opinions that spreads here...

Adieu ;)

I hope you're not serious about your "farewell", Lord Maurizio.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Sorry I'm late. This is terrible.

I've never heard a note of Patrick Doyle's stuff, so I'm not convinced yet that he'll be a worthy replacement. John Williams will always be the man behind the music for the Harry Potter films for me.

This Doyle fella? Eh.

Let's get a care package over to everyone who doesn't think Doyle is good. Let's see...Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Dead Again, Great Expectations, Sense and Sensibility, Gosford Park should do good for starters.

Slowly but surely you are being rubbed out, your stupidity and dumbassness (yes i did say dumbassness) has completely block you from my mind, to me you don't exist now.  

P.S. Have a happy life.  

RIP - Alexcremers.

;)

Some like it hot.

Why does it matter what "made" each one of us a Williams' admirer? SW, JP or Potter, all that counts is that we're here, right? I fell for Williams music thru scores such as SYiT and AA and no one has thus far laughed me out of here, or maybe I haven't ready all my PMs carefully in a long time. Even if you came here knowing only Williams' Trumpet Concerti, a work typical like nothing I've heard from him, be here and enjoy it. Stop arguing you everyone, will you?

Amen.

:)

Let's get a care package over to everyone who doesn't think Doyle is good. Let's see...Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Dead Again, Great Expectations, Sense and Sensibility, Gosford Park should do good for starters.

One for me, please. I don't have a clue what his music sounds like.

First I was disappointed, but I think it isn't that bad Williams can now do some completely new things. He gave his best HP ideas to the first two movies, I don't know if he could add a new dimension to the HP musical world (except a few new themes) by doing GoF.

I love Patrick Doyle's Sense and sensibility, I think his style is very classical, which is needed for GoF IMO.

Things to do:

1. Find a Patrick Doyle message board foolish enough to allow all the HP fans to move in and overload it;

2. Ask King Mark to change his signature photo, replacing Darth with a crowd scene of stranglers. Orcs might do. (Just kidding, JW.)

Mike

listening to Verdi's Requiem

I hope that Doyle does more of an adaptation kind of score rather than come up with new stuff.  It wont be the same but it won't be a complete loss.  I bet he will do much better then Davis did in JP3.

What would be the point in an adaption? The reason I want Williams to score GOF isn't that I want him to copy his earlier scores. We already have them, after all. I'd rather have something fresh by Doyle than a somewhat improved Ben Burtt score.

Marian - who thinks the JP3 score isn't bad.

As dissapointed as I am I must say they couldn't have come up with a better replacement. Doyle has loads of talent. If anyone doubts this get Needful Things and Carloita's Way.

Had this been for PoA when Williams had nothing else but The Terminal that year I would have been severly pissed off. This year he has two major action/adventure films to score. I think we'll survive. ;)

Justin - Who thinks Needful Things is one of the most brilliants scores he's ever heard.

As dissapointed as I am I must say they couldn't have come up with a better replacement. Doyle has loads of talent. If anyone doubts this get Needful Things and Carloita's Way.

Justin - Who thinks Needful Things is one of the most brilliants scores he's ever heard.

I'm not too big a fan of Carlito's Way (How'd you get to Carloita?), But 'Grand Central Station' is one of my favorite Doyle Cues. A fantastic action cue, it's magnificent in the movie.

And I've never heard Needful Things. I must pick that up. I personaly think that the love theme from Great Expectations is one of the greatest love themes ever. I find it heart breakingly beautiful.

As many others, I'm disappointed Williams isn't doing this score.

But I will get this anyway, just to complete my Potter CDs. And it'll be nice to hear from a new composer. I'd like to see what he does with John's material, and what he does himself. I've never heard anything of his outside of a film, and though I've probably seen a couple of films he's scored, I can't remember any of them right now.

This news is sad, but interesting.

- Marc

Meh! No big deal. Makes sense.

Williams will be too busy next year with WoTW and SW3 to do HP4.

I believe when it was brought up as to who might replace Johnny on this film Doyle's name was mentioned several times.

It was. But people were talking about him for PoA, becasue his relationship with Cuaron. Thank god he went back to Donnie Brasco for his composer, and not to Mona Lisa Smile. A Rachel Portman HP score would be.....wrong.

It was. But people were talking about him for PoA, becasue his relationship with Cuaron. Thank god he went back to Donnie Brasco for his composer, and not to Mona Lisa Smile. A Rachel Portman HP score would be.....wrong.

OH yeah thats right

I wonder if Cuaron put in a good word for him with Newell.

I see. If this happened to, say Return of the Jedi, you people would be screaming bloody murder. But apparently Potter fans are to sing a different tune. Remember, some of us treat Harry Potter with the same respect some of you hold for the OT (or at least, SW and ESB). I couldn't care less about the changes in the Star Wars DVDs because I'm not obsessed with Star Wars. Similarly, people here don't like the Potter franchise and that's fine, but don't go making blanket statements and expecting us to leave now that Williams has finished with the series. It won't happen.

I'm not going anywhere, the Potter music brought me to the world of JW, it isn't the only reason I like him.

So go back to moaning about your precious Star Wars, and we'll continue moaning about this tragedy.

P.S. I don't recall HPFAN saying anything along the lines of "JW may as well be dead". He said that this news has had an impact on him of the same intensity as, say, Williams' death. I disagree, but it's his brain/opinion, not ours.

He made the good Four Weddings and A funeral and the good Donnie Brasco, and he made the not good Pushing Tin and the terrible, terrible Mona Lisa Smile.

He made the good Four Weddings and A funeral and the good Donnie Brasco, and he made the not good Pushing Tin and the terrible, terrible Mona Lisa Smile.

Meh! :D

Nothing special there.

I only give respect to director who have one truly great film to their credit.

Ironically, I was just listening to Doyle's "Frankenstein" yesterday for the first time in at least 7 years and remember what a great score it is. I'm really sorry Williams isn't at the helm again, but soooooo glad Doyle is (instead of Horner or Zimmer or.... - ew!)

Think of Howard Shore before LotR and everyone saying "WHO is scoring it? But he isn't even a big orchestra guy!

Doyle IS a big orchestra guy, and classically trained at that. I think he'll surprise a lot of people with a great score and probably great adaptations of Williams classic themes...

Jason

Meh!  :D  

Nothing special there.  

I only give respect to director who have one truly great film to their credit.

Shouldn't that be at least one?

Morlock- who thinks given the nature of directing, there are very few one hit wonders.

I think he'll surprise a lot of people with a great score and probably great adaptations of Williams classic themes...

Jason

People who know even one third of Doyle's work will hardly be surprised if the score for GoF is a hell of success. Sure I regard John Williams as the composer of tunes than stroke my ears the best of all, but let's face it; there are other composers too and Patrick Doyle is highs above the neverendingly recycled group of so-so composers. It's only he's not scored some "major" billion-dollar projects that would help sweep his name over faces of more more moviegoers, that's why you can still experience: "what the hell has Doyle ever written? I have not heard anything." Sure, because most of the business left space is always in occupation of Horners and Zimmers (Sorry guys, you're good, but not the only one out there; though the number of projects you're being given suggests otherwise).

Anyway, all thoughts aside, I wish Peter Jackson would tackle all the remaining Potter books with Howard Shore scoring. But I can't see this coming about. People have yet to come a long way to grasp who is the only team "to do it".!

:D

I can live with this choice, he's pretty good, though I had thought it might be Bruce Broughton

Maybe Patrick Doyle just wants to get even with Williams after the Stepmom incident.

Ted

It's still not clear what happened there (though I could imagine Williams being like Mom in Futurama or Phil Hartman as Reagan on SNL :D)

Assuming this works out, I wonder what Doyle's career will look like after GOF.

Thirty years from now, he might be the big-name composer who bows out of a third blockbuster sequel because it would conflict with him scoring the next Branagh movie.

Marian - LOL

Sounds great to me! :D

It seems like Broughton might've missed his chance at the big leagues with Home Alone. His Rescuers Down Under score was great, but Home Alone could've put him on the map.

I was thinking that if people have doubts about how aggressive Doyle's music can be -- sometimes to the point of hyperactiveness -- they should listen to Dead Again, Needful Things, and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

The word in Hollywood about Bruce Broughton is that he's agreat composer who has pissed too many people off, so no one will hire him now.

Tha's just what I've heard. I have nothing to back it up. But this was from two different sources, one being someone who used to work with him.

Jason, who is sorry and still loves Tombstone and Lost in Space... :roll:

I for one can't wait for the new Potter movie and Doyle should do a great job with it. I was surprised when I was told who he signed on, but it was in a, Oh Great, That's a fantastic choice!!!! Not, Oh really, Doyle?????? The guy is s great composer, not just a film composer, he is a great COMPOSER which is what the Potter franchise needs again at the helm. This is good!!!!

It just occured to me that the fruitful longtime-collaborators Branagh and Doyle finally will be featured in the same franchise... only not in the same movie :mrgreen: (unless Doyle scores OotP too and they don't cut theLockhart scene :thumbup: *hoping*)

I don't think there's any way the Lockhart scene in OotP will make it to the movie. Too irrelevant in a looooooooooong book that has to be cut down. I would love to see it on film, though. But I really wanted to see Harry holding the Quidditch Cup in PoA, and we know what happened there. Even stuff relevant to the main story was cut. :?

John- being realistic

Some more reaction from the general Harry Potter community:

AWW great, does that mean it will be filled with loads of over played pop songs!!!!
...Even though John Williams is a thief- anyne who's heard Sibelius 2 or Lt. Keige will know- he was perfect, which proves my point that already existing classical music does the job just fine. Anywho- that style- very romantic, tells the story in and of itself- is just what a film like this needs, not just some "love actually" ripoff- i only have respect for four movie composers, and those people are Henry Mancini (Pink Panther), Klaus Baldet (PotC), Howard Shore (LotR), and John Williams (Indiana Jones, HP, etc.)- those are the only people i would trust with this movie- and Seeing as how Mancini is dead, i'd rather have Shore or Williams...
I would much rather have Howard Shore of Klaus Baldet, both of whom have obvious talent for composing music that becomes part of the movie, which would not be true of B.J.'s Diary. We'll just have to wait and see.
Just as long as he does't do away with the Harry Potter theme song. I love that song. I whistle it all the time.
They cannot have a Harry Potter film without the theme song!! Maybe they'll keep the Theme (Called "Hedwig's Theme" on one soundtrack, and "Harry's Wondrous World" on the others) and allow Doyle to score the rest of the movie. That would work.
Williams is probably busy with Star Wars, Episode 3. After all, he has done the score for the other 5!

...Even though John Williams is a thief- anyne who's heard Sibelius 2 or Lt. Keige will know- he was perfect, which proves my point that already existing classical music does the job just fine. Anywho- that style- very romantic, tells the story in and of itself- is just what a film like this needs, not just some "love actually" ripoff- i only have respect for four movie composers, and those people are Henry Mancini (Pink Panther), Klaus Baldet (PotC), Howard Shore (LotR), and John Williams (Indiana Jones, HP, etc.)- those are the only people i would trust with this movie- and Seeing as how Mancini is dead, i'd rather have Shore or Williams...
I would much rather have Howard Shore of Klaus Baldet, both of whom have obvious talent for composing music that becomes part of the movie, which would not be true of B.J.'s Diary. We'll just have to wait and see.

These people have zero credibility. ZE-RO. :mrgreen:

Why do they keep calling Hedwig's Theme a song?

Crazy people. :thumbup:

- Marc, has nothing better to do.

"He's flying all through the night sky

Hedwig prepares to dive,

To see Harry Potter in his room

of number 4 Privet Drive,

Oh, Hedwig, Hedwig fly to me

and bring me that mail today

Just warn me if Dementors flee

from Azkaban to my way"

See, it is a song after all.... :mrgreen:

I had heard through someone really really close to JW that this last potter movie really, really drained him. I mean be fair to the man - he is getting up there in the years. Most people his age are allready retired for some years by now. It is not like he is doing this for the money anymore. Anyone who has ever looked at a full score or worked on a movie can truly appreciate how much work goes into it. Doyle will do good - but we should have had Bill Ross.

I only care about quality Williams scores.My interest in Potter is 90% John Willliams, 9% the books,and 1% wow Emma Watson will turn out in a couple of years.

1)Williams has proven himself to be at his best in fantasy/adventure scores.That's where his classic themes are all born from.Harry Potter is the perfect medium to bring out Williams full talents.

2)Williams has produced his best work overall since the 70's-80's with Harry Potter.

3)GoF is tailor made to potentially be one of Willliams best scores ever,because of the story and narrative flow.

4)The Potter films have been quality movies to date and keep getting better.I'd rather Williams scores this than a potential disaster like Indy 4.

5)He has a wealth of themes already which are begging to be expanded and re-orchestrated

(Fawkes,Dobby...ect..)

7)Even if Williams scores a more "intimate" drama movie,do you really expect him to break new grounds in his music,completely re-invent himself and do something he's never done before?All of Williams "lighter" dramatic scores are basically his full blown style toned down considerably,with an ethnic element added or guest soloists playing an instrument he hasn't used as much in the past.Expect the same only more restrained.

K.M.Who knows he's right

I had heard through someone really really close to JW that this last potter movie really, really drained him. .

Can you elaborate.I KNOW his decision has to do with behind the scenes reasons,and that the age factor is starting to creep in.He looks very tired in more recent interviews.I hope he's alright.

K.M.