And the composer for Harry Potter & GOF is.......

ocelot

Can't speak for Mari, our member, but I suppose she's not disappointed over the choice of Patrick Doyle as same as I am not.

Sorry, I would have chimed in sooner but I just returned from being out of town. Since I completely agree with you, feel free to speak for me. :P

I am certain Patrick Doyle will do a great job on GOF. He is the one composer I can think of, besides JW, who will be able to convey the right mood and feeling for the wide array of music styles (ceremonial grandeur, swashbuckling adventure, dark/evil, and epic battle) needed for this movie.

Kathy, who completed my Doyle collection this summer by acquiring the rare Shipwrecked and Une Femme Francaise.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno about you guys, but to me, this is (as one poster said) the same as getting an entire new composer for something like "Return of the Jedi". See how some people are complaining just because they switched the left and right speakers... Imagine what this is like for me, and frankly, a lot of fans out there.

A trend I've started to notice from Prisoner of Azkaban, and some of the rumors surrounding Goblet of Fire, is the individual directors are chucking continuity out the window in favor of what they consider their own artistic designs. If these books were separate entities, I wouldn't mind, but this is a series, and the audience needs that same sense of continuity and familiarity that they get from the books, and yes, even Star Wars. (Which I still enjoy, even the new stuff.) At least George Lucas ATTEMPTS to keep continuity!

I will not say Curaron is not a great director. He whipped the kids into shape like many did not believe, and has an outdoorsy sense that gave the films an oddly familiar sense of kids away from their family at an extra long summer camp, which oddly enough, worked. But he changed a lot of props that didn't need it, redid a lot of locations, turned Dumbledore into a hippie, etc. I won't make judgements on Newell until I see Goblet of Fire, but frankly, even though I know it'll be a good movie, I know there will be even more changes ripping the leftover continuity to shreds. WB isn't even sure it can keep the same actors for the entire series. The loss of John Williams, for me, is the final blow. I've lost all faith in the movies ever really being even partially as cleanly knit together as the books.

I was so looking forward to hearing the music of the Phoenix for the Priori Incantatem scene. Now I fear this music, obviously intended to be reborn in multiple movies like the phoenix itself, will be lost forever.

If it had to be anybody else, I personally would have picked Akira Yamaoka, my all-time favorite composer. His sad and longing, yet mysterious and beautiful pieces would have been perfect for many things in Harry Potter. I don't know much about Patrick Doyle, so I can't say I feel any attachment to him. Sure, Akira Yamaoka's style is vastly different from John Williams, but what the hey? Continuity's already gone to hell, right?

As for Harry Potter being too "dark" for John Williams, Chamber of Secrets is not a fluffy story, despite its fairytale imagery towards the end. And Order of the Phoenix, despite having an anxious, angsty plot, is universally considered the funniest thing J.K. Rowling has put into print. My co-workers compare it to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I'd even go as far as saying Jackie Chan could direct it. Some things in there would be right up his alley.

Order of the Phoenix could have been great, some time I'll produce a fan soundtrack for it. LOL

But anyway...this isn't the director's fault. It sounds as if Newell would have kept Williams if he could have.

I couldn't care less how messed up the movies become at this point. For me they have been tainted by the first two, so all continuity would be impossible for anyone to follow wisely.

I'm still looking foward to GoF, but MUCH mroe looking foward to H-BP!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is J.K. Rowling's Animal House. The whole middle section is hilarious. As hateful as Dolores Umbridge is, you can't wait until she pops up again. She's such a great character to hate.

I hope most of the Hogarts rebellion makes it into the fifth movie, although I fear the most of it will be ditched in favor of the Prophecy storyline, which is of course the main plot in the book. The fight against Umbridge is just a sideline compared to that, but what a sideline it is. :P

- Marc, who's had teachers like Umbridge, but never that bad.

Oh I love Umbridge. I thought I'd met the character of my dreams in Lockhart, but then Rita Skeeter came along. I thought she was as bad as you can get but then Dolores made her appearence. She's what made OotP so interesting and fun. Without that side-story the whole book would be depressing and moody.

I really don't understand why John Williams can't write the score for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Because he has other movies in project ?

And what about Doyle's projects ?

He has to sequence 3 other movies next year : Wah-Wah, Man to Man and Nanny McPhee.

More than John in fact.

I am really :P

We may see how directly not having a JW score will affect the box office success of GoF.My theory is that Williams music makes movies like this earm more money my increasing people that see the movie 2 or 3 times because they liked the music,even if they didn't realise it.Maybe they'll beg him to come back

K.M.Who thinks,if he's right,that even if GoF is as well reviewed as PoA,it mighg perform less at the B.O. without JW.

The box office numbers for the Harry Potter films have been declining though. Each film that comes out will not do as well as the one that preceded it.

Ted

We may see how directly not having a JW score will affect the box office success of GoF.My theory is that Williams music makes movies like this earm more money my increasing people that see the movie 2 or 3 times because they liked the music,even if they didn't realise it.Maybe they'll beg him to come back

K.M.Who thinks,if he's right,that even if GoF is as well reviewed as PoA,it mighg perform less at the B.O. without JW.

:roll:

I disagree.

In my skimming through some of the reaction of the HP community it seems that the people who didn't like what Cuaron did with PoA see this as the "final nail in the coffin" of the HP movies. An overreaction, to be sure.

The box office numbers for the Harry Potter films have been declining though. Each film that comes out will not do as well as the one that preceded it.  

Ted

I was thinking about this, and I came to the conclusion that word of mouth and experiences from each previous movie affect the next one. It would explain a lot. Of course, this is just wishful speculation on my part. Some say the franchise is dying. I doubt that, as we have two books to go and popularity will remain soaring, at least for the books. I'm gathering that most book fans don't like any of the movies and would much prefer the next book to a "properly made" Potter movie. I'm inclined to angree with them. They could have at least waited until the series had finished before making the movies. It would make editing the plot much easier as we'd know what's to come and which characters need more emphasising. Oh well, I can dream.

I'm gathering that most book fans don't like any of the movies and would much prefer the next book to a "properly made" Potter movie. I'm inclined to angree with them.

As do I. I mean, I like the movies but the books are much more important. I will still watch and hopefully enjoy the movies even after Williams' departure, though no new Williams score is a huge minus. But as I said earlier the positive comments about Doyle have helped, and has gotten me curious as to what he ends up doing.

In my skimming through some of the reaction of the HP community it seems that the people who didn't like what Cuaron did with PoA see this as the "final nail in the coffin" of the HP movies. An overreaction, to be sure.

Cuaron's a double-edged sword. The extremes of the argument would be that he was either a genius, or he ripped the series apart.

With me, it was a little of both. Cuaron made some OBVIOUS improvements, but at the same time, ditched a lot of continuity, which is a problem, as this movie is part of a series. What WB should have done from the start was made sure they had a cast and crew that would be available for the entire series, because, as it is, WB isn't even sure if it can keep the actors playing the trio for the entire project. They also should have made sure that whoever they hired for the crew would treat the movies as one single, big project, rather than many little ones. (For example, Peter Jackson's work on Lord of the Rings.) This is where Cuaron failed big time.

Many people (me included) were expecting this series to be sort of like a new Star Wars or Indiana Jones, filling in the void left behind by our lost 70s/80s childhoods. (Like it or not, even Star Wars is ending.) John Williams was a big part of fitting that mood. But an even bigger part was the continuity. The familiarity with the series. With the constant changes of the production crew, this familiarity is waning, and the movies (good as they are) are looking like individual movies, rather than a series, as they should be.

I'm just glad the books will stay true to themselves. We at least have them.

My greatest aspiration (dunno if I'll actually fill it) was to work for Cartoon Network someday. Obviously, I have my own ideas that I'd like to pitch to the network, (got this idea about a series about where the Roswell Aliens came from) but for about a year, I've been pondering whether Harry Potter would have done better as a TV series. This pondering became a very strong thought process when I saw the series, .hack//sign, which in some ways, really reminds me of Harry Potter. I almost think the episodic, slice of life style of the books would be better interpreted in small chunks rather than 2.5 hour movies. A few decades after the movies are done, will the world be ready for a fresh interpretation? I'm hoping yes. And if for some reason I get that chance, I'll do what I can to make sure it is treated as one big project, rather than many individual ones.

But then, it may just be a silly dream.

I think the scheduling conflict is with a later project that Williams wants to do,  I think it may be Geisha

But Williams hasn't signed on to Geisha yet. Geisha hasn't even started filming yet. What if Geisha doesn't even end up being made?

Unless he decides to do something else, I guess he'll have a break in between War of the Worlds and Indy 4.

If that's the case, then he should "decide" to do Potter 4!

I think Williams is getting too old physically to stress over time deadlines and sit at his desk for fourteen hours a day for weeks at a time.

It will be interesting to see who will be ghosting/orchestrating for doyle - i think they will be working pretty hard.

It will be interesting to see who will be ghosting/orchestrating for doyle - i think they will be working pretty hard.

Yes, well, when you "see" who is "ghosting" for Doyle, do let us know. I'm sure we will all be very interested in what you will have to share.

I think Williams' Potter-scoring stepdown can't be taken like absolutely orphaning his own legacy since the first three Potter movies have never really become solely Williams'-scored trilogy. It's been thwarted by William Ross' role on the second chapter, however debatable that role may seem. So I dare to think leaving the Harry Potter job wasn't too hard to do for JW and I don't think he feels like having cheated on his fans.

Harry Potter may well become "Star Trek" music-wise since from now on anyone can overtake the job for a particular movie anytime, director or composer.

I am certain, though, that JW will NOT return to scoring Potter any more. It would have to feel odd for him: adapting material he wrote long ago and other(s) expanded upon as series rolled by...

Kathy, who completed my Doyle collection this summer by acquiring the rare Shipwrecked and Une Femme Francaise.

ROTFLMAO

And how do you know? ROTFLMAO

Well, besides The Omen, I can't think of any other trilogy or 3 consecutive scores for one bulk he would have scored, so he might have never really known how it feels to get replaced where it would seem like his domain till the last chapter.

And you're correct.

And I didn't realize that if Williams gets back to Jurassic Park with the forth where the third was buried by Davis, there could be no block for him to return to Potter. Am I right it would be the first he would ever do that, right?

well, he scored 3 star trek movies conescutively. My point was rather that he had no problem coming back to a series where someone other had written the scores in between.

However, the only three Trek movies that are really closely related (i.e. forming one story arc) are two, three and four, and Goldsmith wasn't involved in them. We could debate about what Rosenman thought now...

Marian - ROTFLMAO

And how do you know? ROTFLMAO

Well, besides The Omen, I can't think of any other trilogy or 3 consecutive scores for one bulk he would have scored, so he might have never really known how it feels to get replaced where it would seem like his domain till the last chapter.

Rambo

Neil

I think the scheduling conflict is with a later project that Williams wants to do,  I think it may be Geisha

But Williams hasn't signed on to Geisha yet. Geisha hasn't even started filming yet. What if Geisha doesn't even end up being made?

I believe that Geisha actually has started filming.

And how do you know? :)

Rambo

Neil

:oops: (for Rambo 1) :oops: (for Rambo 2) :oops: (for Rambo 3)

So, how many trilogies is left yet you never-erring Neil? :) LOL

My mem'ry hasn't served me well over these past 33 years, but you Neil always have to point out to it so markedly just when I thought new members would never find out I have never made the grade past the 6th at the basic school.

Roman, abased.-)

well, he scored 3 star trek movies conescutively. My point was rather that he had no problem coming back to a series where someone other had written the scores in between.

However, the only three Trek movies that are really closely related (i.e. forming one story arc) are two, three and four, and Goldsmith wasn't involved in them. We could debate about what Rosenman thought now...

Marian - :)

Well, my problem with Rosenman is that in my ears his music doesn't sound very "startrekky".

The question I am still wondering is if they dumped John or if John didn't want to be bothered with the series anymore or if John just couldn't fit it into his schedule for next year.

The potter movies do seem to have the most potential for good music lately. Besides, its very warm music, and in a very particular way that I will miss if he stops writing.

While I am contented with pick of Patrick Doyle, can't help brooding over what does Rowling or anyone having say in who should write the score hold against James Horner? It won't perhaps ever be broken to public, but I bet his name was in consideration at some point after JW was surely not coming back, but in the end JH's name must have gotten let go off. Still, there''s always plenty of time for thoughts to come true ("Troy"). :devil:

Same would go for Jurassic Park 4, ... (cont'd in JP4 thread)

I thought James Horner was originally set to compose the music for Sorcerer Stone, but that John Williams used all his connections so that he could score the movie, because he liked the book so much.

Yes, I read about that here some time ago, too, although I have very little faith in these things when Williams schwarzeneggerizes other composers on projects. But what I meant was whether James Horner was ever in consideration for the upcoming fourth movie when replacement for John Williams was being looked for, regardless of whether Horner had originally been attached to Potter before it started filming the first book.

I thought James Horner was originally set to compose the music for Sorcerer Stone, but that John Williams used all his connections so that he could score the movie, because he liked the book so much.

The closest any rumours have come to this is Horner saying he was offered Potter, but declined to do Iris and A Beautiful Mind.

Well, it does make sense. He scored Columbus' last film. He probably thought a movie tailor-made for the oscars like A Beautiful Mind would get him more acclaim.

Morlock- who just discovered a whole new layer of brilliance to HP & TSS.

Morlock- who just discovered a whole new layer of brilliance to HP & TSS.

Welcome aboard. :music:

After hearing the complete score through a DVD extract, SS became an easy top 10 score for me.

John- wondering if now that Williams has left the series we might get a complete score release of his 3 scores quicker?