Is it April 1st already? RE: Jarvis Potter scoring HPGOF

Erik Woods

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well considering the murder of the original replacement Doyle, this comes as no surprise.

Joe, who still gets a kick out of everyones crybaby attitude over that one.

Jarvis Cocker to write GOF soundtrack?

Loads of British media sources are reporting (different take: here) that Jarvis Cocker will be writing the music for the fourth movie, with contributions from Franz Ferdinand.

Apparently, director Mike Newell wanted a fresh sound and asked cast members including Daniel Radcliffe to come up with a shortlist of candidates. And Jarvis - whose hits include 'Common People' and 'Help The Aged' - came out on top.  

A film insider said: "He is a very talented musician who is a big fan of movies and knows exactly how they work. You may just think Jarvis is the bloke in specs who fronted Pulp but he is a man with many hidden depths."

This contradicts JWfan.net's report that Patrick Doyle would be composing the soundtrack. Remember, this is only a rumor until we can get some official confirmation.

We've been "contradicted". :thumbup:

Could it be the "Loads of British media sources" got this in the wrong throat?

Confirmation.  :thumbup:  
Franz Ferndinand confirms GOF involvement

Franz Ferndindand have confirmed that they've been asked by producers to contribute something for the Goblet of Fire soundtrack and could even take small roles in the film as the Weird Sisters. Guitarist Nick said:

"We were going to collaborate with Jarvis, Jarvis Cocker. He's written three songs already and he wants us to write another one with him, so hopefully we'll have the time and energy! "No, we do have the energy, I'm sure. It's such an exciting thing to do, it's incredible. "They've asked us to be in the film. Something about the four weird sisters or ugly sisters playing bagpipes or something, I don't know."

censored censored censored !!

(quoted from the Potterdom thread)

Where did the Doyle info come from again? I do really hope it's from a reliable source.

John Williams Fan Network doesn't make up the news. Its report was informed by reliable sources and has been further corroborated by Music from the Movies (which is regrettably down at the moment):

Music from the Movies can confirm that Patrick Doyle has been hired to compose the music for the fourth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, to be released next year. Originally, John Williams - who scored the first and third film and provided the themes adapted by William Ross in the second - was attached to the project. Williams had to withdraw from Goblet of Fire due to conflicting schedules.

The fourth Harry Potter film is directed by Mike Newell, who has collaborated with Patrick Doyle before on Donnie Brasco and Into the West. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is set to premiere in the US on 18 November 2005.

In a Film Score Monthly Message Board post, Music from the Movies webmaster Mikael Carlsson listed Patrick Doyle's agent, Maggie Rodford, and the Warner Bros. president of music operations, Doug Frank, as his sources.

JWfan mentioned again!

There are all sorts of rumors cropping up about who will be composing the musical score for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The current thinking is that John Williams won't be involved in the forthcoming flick, leaving the door open for someone new. But just who will be taking over scoring duties remains to be seen.

Various UK media reports suggest that Jarvis Cocker, who fronted the band Pulp, may be involved.  This follows reports that rockers Franz Ferdinand would be appearing in the film. Could director Mike Newell be trying to "hip" things up a notch? Interesting idea.

Then there's a report from John Williams fansite, JWFan.net, that claims composer Patrick Doyle will be scoring the film. Doyle has worked with Newell before on Into the West and Donnie Brasco. He's also a frequent collaborator with Kenneth Branagh, scoring Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet. Other credits include Sense and Sensiblity and Gosford Park.

We'd like to point out that it's entirely possible that Cocker and Doyle could both be involved, with Doyle handling traditional scoring duties and Cocker serving as supervisor of more contemporary musical elements that may be featured in the film.

Warner Bros. won't talk about the next Potter just yet, but we're still trying to track this down.  Keep it right here for the latest.

What site is that from?

Could director Mike Newell be trying to "hip" things up a notch? Interesting idea.

Interesting is not the word. Disaterous. Pathetic. Horrible. Crappy. Stupid. Teen pandering. Insert the word of your choice here.

Me too. All the HP sites and the British media are reporting this like it's true. I trust Wael and Ricard's word on Doyle, but it would be nice for some official word to come down on this.

I'm not sure anymore.Maybe Doyle was considered and there was a change of plans.WB hasn't confimed anything yet.If Potter 4 has a rock soundtrack,then at least we'll be spared the inevitable comparisons of Doyle vs JW.

K.M.

I'm not sure anymore.Maybe Doyle was considered and there was a change of plans.WB hasn't confimed anything yet.If Potter 4 has a rock soundtrack,then at least we'll be spared the inevitable comparisons of Doyle vs JW.

Doyle vs. JW comparisions are preferable to an MTV soundtrack.

P.S. - John, adore the avatar. I've got Murray for All Occasions avatars on my computer, wait till Christmas...

Thanks. Look forward to seeing it. ;)

Did you make them yourself or can you get them somewhere?

Maybe the producers decided for a completely new approach instead of hiring another orchestral composer to do a half assed attempt of adapting Williams themes.

K.M.

Yes, about that - isn't Columbus still producing? You'd think he'd want to ensure some continuity on this. I know there wasn't much continuity between CoS and PoA style-wise, but at least PoA still had an orchestral score. He's not going to let GoF be some stupid teen pop fest, is he?

IS HE?

- Marc, :remybussi:

Take it how you will, I spoke to someone very close to the film (sorry - can't name names) a few weeks ago and he confirmed that Doyle has indeed been selected, not just rumored. I would consider this new rumor very unreliable. For now, Doyle is DEFINATELY doing it. This might change, but I doubt it.

Well, to my eyes it's very understandable that now filmmakers and WB want to go commercial also on the soundtrack. There was an interview on one of the latest Film Score Monthly issue (Vol.9, N°6) with Gary LeMel (head of Warner Bros Music Department) in which he said clearly that for the new Potter film they were trying to do something new concerning the music. He said that the most difficult thing is to convince J.K. Rowling to give her blessing for a more commercial approach. Here's an excerpt:

FSM [talking about the possibility of a songtrack in the HP movies]: I would think you could still do videos and singles that aren't part of the film soundtrack.

GLM: She [J.K. Rowling] wouldn't allow that and everyone was scared to death on the first movie of trying to be politically correct and all that, so no one would dare even to think asking her or even debating with her. We got through the 2nd movie and the same thing happened. I'm going to England soon and I'm going to meet the director--we're just starting the 4th movie. And Mike Newell's pretty commercial guy, and I think by now they've made so much money, that would it really matter? Why not to do it? I'm not going to give up until they got through the fourth movie and if they pass, they pass.

LeMel also said that Bruce Springsteen (yes, the Boss himself) wrote a beautiful song inspired by Harry Potter because his son is a huge fan of the books, and then sent it to WB saying "I know that you will not use it, but I just did it and do whatever you want with it". But Rowling, even though she's a big Springsteen fan, nixed the use of a rock song for the first film.

So, consider that if rock/pop artists will be involved in the new Potter soundtrack, it has been received the blessing by the creator herself. Maybe that's why John Williams refused to do the new score...

We'd like to point out that it's entirely possible that Cocker and Doyle could both be involved, with Doyle handling traditional scoring duties and Cocker serving as supervisor of more contemporary musical elements that may be featured in the film.

That's exactly what I think. Surely they will not renounce to the traditional orchestral score (it's so essential to the Potter movies by now), but they want to add a more "hip", contemporary feel to the soundscape. And probably they want to sell many more CDs. :remybussi:

Am I the only one who goes like this:

sceptical-chris.gif

everytime I read the word "commercial" here?

It completely baffles me how this guy so freely talks about his urge to go more "commercial" in the Potter series...

----------------

Edit: I would consider this the first rule of song use in films: "Pop songs. date. music. !." So the only reasons to have pop songs in films is (a) the film is set in a cultural era and the songs are used to establish the athmosphere (60s, 80s, or whatever), or (B) the movie is supposed to cash in from the "hip" crowd of today and be dismissed thereafter. It's not supposed to last.

No. That's some of the stupidest stuff I've heard yet. Especially this:

I think by now they've made so much money, that would it really matter? Why not to do it?

Smeghead.

- Marc

So, consider that if rock/pop artists will be involved in the new Potter soundtrack, it has been received the blessing by the creator herself. Maybe that's why John Williams refused to do the new score...

You know, that makes so much sense it's scary. If (God forbid) true, it would answer our questions about Williams deciding to leave the franchise.

Smeghead.

Indeed.

If J.K. Rowling endorsed this...I'm not sure if I can read Half-Blood Prince.

It's WB's fault that the books and movies have become such entirely seperate enteties. JKR has concentrated 100% on the books after the first movie was done, and I agree with her totally as that's what's most important. I think the first movie will always stand out as the purest vision of her work on screen.

Maybe the producers decided for a completely new approach instead of hiring another orchestral composer to do a half assed attempt of adapting Williams themes.

That comment isn't something becoming of you KM. Doyle will do an excellent job with Williams themes or not. Cetainly a 1000% better job than Cocker.

Justin - :roll:

Dark Horizons is reporting that Patrick Doyle is still lined up to compose the Goblet of Fire score, not Jarvis Cocker of Pulp as previously reported. However, Cocker will still have a small role in helping with the movie's music.

I guess we're not going to find out anything for sure until WB says it.

http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/dfn...s.html#anchorx4

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will not feature a full musical score by the inimitable composer/conductor John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET, Jaws etc.), who provided the score for the previous Potter pix, according to published reports.  Most reports suggest that with the aim of reaching the young audience with a more rock n' roll style soundtrack, director Mike Newell and Warner Bros. are working with Jarvis Cocker, former lead singer of the band Pulp, though composer William's is reportedly still involved. Cocker might not be the only rocker contributing to the score of the movie. In an interview on the BBC's Radio 1 with the group Franz Ferdinand, lead guitarist Nick McCarthy said that they would be collaborating with Cocker, and the band may even appear in the movie.

http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/dfnews.html#anchorx4
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will not feature a full musical score by the inimitable composer/conductor John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET, Jaws etc.), who provided the score for the previous Potter pix, according to published reports.  Most reports suggest that with the aim of reaching the young audience with a more rock n' roll style soundtrack, director Mike Newell and Warner Bros. are working with Jarvis Cocker, former lead singer of the band Pulp, though composer William's is reportedly still involved. Cocker might not be the only rocker contributing to the score of the movie. In an interview on the BBC's Radio 1 with the group Franz Ferdinand, lead guitarist Nick McCarthy said that they would be collaborating with Cocker, and the band may even appear in the movie.

Rubbish.

http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/dfnews.html#anchorx4
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...

Maybe someone ought to tell them the next movie is Goblet of Fire. No need to add confusion to what is already a mass of conflicting information.

The online news system has gone to hell.

Ray Barnsbury

Indeed. Instead I shall turn on the Fox evening news.

Seriously, try out Google news.

-Diskobolus, who will be meeting Presidential candidate David Cobb tomorrow