The VHS Thread

fommes

Hi all,

I wanted to start a thread about VHS copies of films one should keep. Mostly, I use the tapes with films I've got on DVD to tape other films, but there are of course exceptions.

In other words, what DVDs are different than their respective VHS counterparts (not released on DVD)?

I'll start with the most obvious:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Also: Blade Runner

Duel (truck dinosaur noise)

And what about Superman or The Phantom Menace?

(Not that I have the latter on DVD.)

:)

All the best!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TPM has been altered for the DVD release. If you're a real purist, you'll want to hang on to Raiders as well, just to see the snake reflection (you can find that shot unaltered somewhere on the fourth disc, though).

Hmmm - my Superman VHS was identical to the DVD.....they were both the Spec Eds......Attack of the Clones was slightly altered for DVD....the British VHS has a slightly different conclusion (the same as the Cinema Release as far as I can gather) to th Obi-Wan/Jango Fett fight in the Arena...

The original Star Wars films can be easily found on DVD. So can Blade Runner for that matter. Superman with the original edit and sound mix has not been done on DVD yet, but I'm sure someone will get to it at some point. Also keep your Jaws VHS tape so you can hear the original Oscar winning sound track.

As I haven't seen the Duel DVD, I didn't realize the sound had been changed. Could you elaborate on that?

Neil

I'm keeping my CE3K Special Edition VHS that has the inside the mothership sequence.

K.M.Who might just dump his Indiana Jones VHS in the garbage.

I'm keeping my CE3K Special Edition VHS that has the inside the mothership sequence.

The DVD features that forced ending as an extra. Great special effects though!

I couldn't care about my family's VHS collection in a drawer downstairs - got my pretty big DVD collection. :(

BUT, I do have these films on DVD which I keep for sentimental reasons - even though I have them on DVD, I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of the tapes.

Back to the Future (1, 2 & 3)

Indiana Jones (Raiders, ToD, TLC)

Superman (1 & 2)

Star Wars Trilogy - Original Editions

Star Wars Trilogy - Special Editions

All of the above are housed in their series' respective box (well not the original Star Wars). For the most part they're all in great condition; both box and tape.

• 1 year later...

BUMP.

Thought this was an interesting thread (no deliberate attempt at self-promotion) - for films you should keep on VHS because the DVD version differs from it.

Like with the new trend of releasing a director's cut. I'm keeping my VHS of JFK for that matter.

Also keep your Jaws VHS tape so you can hear the original Oscar winning sound track.

Isn't this on the 30th anniversary DVD?

EDIT: Oops, just noticed that this is an old thread. Sorry! :oops:

Attack of the Clones was slightly altered for DVD....the British VHS has a slightly different conclusion (the same as the Cinema Release as far as I can gather) to th Obi-Wan/Jango Fett fight in the Arena...

wha??

I think Greg means the Windu/Jango fight. As Lucas points out on the commentary, they added some extra sparks to Jango's jetpack as he's tossed about by that creature, and then when Windu storms at him, they added some effects to the jet pack that show that he tries to take off, but his pack is malfunctioning (rather than him just standing there like a dumb git). But if it was in place for the DVD, it's probably also on the VHS.

Also, isn't the UK version of AotC cut? I think they removed a headbutt from the Obi-Wan/Jango fight at Kamino.

The only things I have left on VHS are things that can't be replaced by DVD. And I still use my VCR to record shows I miss, I havent plucked enough off the money tree to get one of those newfangled Tivo things.

Also, isn't the UK version of AotC cut? I think they removed a headbutt from the Obi-Wan/Jango fight at Kamino.

Yes. There was a visible splice at this point in the print I saw back in May 2002.

I have two large shelves of about 30-40 VHS in the living room, half are magic related (my life obsession until music took over) and other are films.

Of course it's all DVDs now, and I've had Sky + for my computer for a year now (and Tivo downstairs for 3-4 years).

Even my crappy old VHS camcorder was replaced with MiniDV last Christmas...I'm now entirely digital :(

Yes. There was a visible splice at this point in the print I saw back in May 2002.

Why would they do that?

There were two masters if I remember right. One was for IMAX and another was for other theaters...

In all honesty, I remember there being something different in Episode I than is on the DVD...

When Padme gets back into her chambers and says to Nute and Gunray "Now, Viceroy, we will discuss a New Treaty!" I could have sworn I remember that door they jammed slamming right after that, seperating the camera from the room.

Oh well...

I do have a friend who got the original Terminator on Tape... you know, the one before Maria Shriver said she didn't want people to see Arnolds... :-D

I still have yet to borrow the video from her...

Why would they do that?

For some reason headbutts are not allowed in films in the UK.

Well they are, but the film has to be 15+ rated, so you can kinda see why they didn't want that for Attack of the Clones. They edited out some headbutting in a few of the James Bond films as well.

Why would they do that?

Hmmmm...thats weird. Oh well, they snip nudity over here, no matter what the f*cking rating is. Grrrr... :spiny:

they snip nudity over here, no matter what the f*cking rating is.

Was that double entendre intentional? ;)

Are nunchucks still banned?

I think Clouseau uses them in one of the Pink Panther films. :spiny:

There were two masters if I remember right. One was for IMAX and another was for other theaters...

There was a version for 35mm prints and a version for digital projection.

Because the digital version had a later delivery date, there were some changes in that one made after the 35mm edition had been shipped.

They include an alternate take of Padmé getting up after she's fallen out of the gunship, and a shot of Padmé taking Anakin's mechanical hand at the wedding (instead of just a shot of the hand). These were all present on the DVD.

When AotC was released in IMAX, the format didn't allow for films with a running time of over 120 minutes, so over 20 minutes was cut from that release.

In all honesty, I remember there being something different in Episode I than is on the DVD...

When Padme gets back into her chambers and says to Nute and Gunray "Now, Viceroy, we will discuss a New Treaty!" I could have sworn I remember that door they jammed slamming right after that, seperating the camera from the room.

I've never heard about that one, but the podrace starting grid scene, the second lap of the race itself, and the arrival at Coruscant have all been extended. One shot is cut, which is the establishing shot of Palpatine's quarters from the theatrical cut. It has become redundant now that there is a long scene of them flying through Coruscant.

They also removed two cameo's in the senate scene. There were two crew members (one of them being costume designer Trisha Biggar (sp?)) behind the big Twi'lek. They have been replaced by Twi'leks.

- Marc

Yes. The new scenes were completed for the DVDs deleted scenes section, and some of them put back into the film for the DVD.

I saw a widescreen VHS at Blokker for 5 Euros a year ago or so. Don't know if they still have it, but if you're interested in seeing the original cut, it might be worth giving a shot.

Because the digital version had a later delivery date, there were some changes in that one made after the 35mm edition had been shipped.

They include an alternate take of Padmé getting up after she's fallen out of the gunship, and a shot of Padmé taking Anakin's mechanical hand at the wedding (instead of just a shot of the hand). These were all present on the DVD.

Hmm...I didnt watch it on digital, but the screening I watched DEFINITELY had Padme getting up and Anakin's robot hand...

they snip nudity over here, no matter what the f*cking rating is.

Was that double entendre intentional? :)

No actually :P:)

Hmm...I didnt watch it on digital, but the screening I watched DEFINITELY had Padme getting up and Anakin's robot hand...

The 35mm print I saw didn't.

I'm definitely not mistaken either, because I remember dad laughing at the Padme getting up scene. Also, I saw it on the first day just like everyone else. I'm not sure about the sparks on Jango though.

I'm not talking about a shot of her getting up. It's a pan down from his shoulder to his arm. The 35mm print I saw had the robot arm hanging there, his fingers slightly twitching. In the DLP version and on the DVD, they take each other's hand. It's just that one shot.

I still have my Laserdisc collection.

The only videos I have are a few sporting events that I taped from the 80's and early 90's and my home movies of my kids.

I'm not talking about a shot of her getting up. It's a pan down from his shoulder to his arm. The 35mm print I saw had the robot arm hanging there, his fingers slightly twitching. In the DLP version and on the DVD, they take each other's hand. It's just that one shot.

Hmm. Then I'm not so sure. :)

I believe even Dr Who got edited! Back in 1977 a story called The Talons of Weng Chiang had a shot of someone getting killed with a throwing star. That scene has since been snipped. How stupid! It's Dr Who for heavens sake!

I'm definitely keeping my VHS copies of the Spider- Man films that were made 30 years ago.

And my CE3K Special Edition.

AND my ROTS VHS, only because it was said there won't be any :)

I believe even Dr Who got edited! Back in 1977 a story called The Talons of Weng Chiang had a shot of someone getting killed with a throwing star. That scene has since been snipped. How stupid! It's Dr Who for heavens sake!

What, it's edited on the DVD? :?

I don't know. I just know that at some point they cut a second or so out of the scene where Leela throws a star in episode 1. Does the DVD appear cut at that point? I don't own it yet.