• Hook- Williams
    • Cutthroat Island- Debney
    • Waterworld- Howard
    • Muppet Treasure Island- Zimmer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly Sea Hawk! Great score (and the uncredited "father" of Williams' Hook score. Williams even references the earlier score in a very touching homage during the flight to tink/flight scene near the beginning). Hook is a clear second too. Not a patch on Sea Hawk, but still an incredible score, and a plethora of new and fun themes! For those people who say that Hook is not a pirate score, listen again! The prologue, Presenting the Hook, The Sea Hawk homage, The Battle... etc etc. It is very much a pirate score! Just like Peter Pan is a fantasy for kids (young and old!) who still find excitement in pirate stories.

Well, yes, some tracks of PotC are quite nice, or rousing, the problem I have with it is, those do not make up the majority of the score, and almost all of that is quasi-plagiated from Gladiator and the likes. And then there's so much stuff in there like the pirates-in-the-moonlight-scrubbing-the-deck-scene, and that stuff is plain awful. A friend of mine, very musical guy, walked out of the room at that point, saying he couldn't take it anymore. I can understand.

It's decent at times on itself, but this is supposed to accompany a swashbuckling mega-adventure. I don't want to hear the same kind of music in it as I would in any cop action movie of the last 5 years.

I probably shouldn't debate Figo over matters relating to Korngold and Gerhardt, but what the hell.

What's to debate? Gerhardt-endorsed or not, I hated the new cut. I'm all for remixing -- the Newman album sounds especially bad -- but I'm glad they didn't go through and re-edit the entire series. If it ain't broke, for the love of God, don't fix it!

Can anybody reccomend a good recording of Sea Hawk?

As mentioned above, the Gerhardt cues are great (at least those on the Errol Flynn compilation, I still haven't heard the Sea Hawk Korngold compilation), as is Kojian's recording of the score, which more like a soundtrack album compared to Gerhardt's suite arrangements. Previn is very slow, and therefore very unexpected, but not bad once you get used to it (but definitely not my first choice). And Morgan & Stromberg are considering recording Sea Hawk, which must great fantastic if they do it (just listen to their take on Robin Hood).

Marian - who voted for blood! Blood! BLOOD!

Hook is by far the best pirate score of the lot. No score has ever come close to being as piratey. The pirate themes just nail it. The rest are largely swashbuckler scores, not pirate scores. Muppet Treasure Island has a great pirate theme though.

Morlock- who does not think Korngold has ever written pirate music, only the finest swshbuckling music.

Pirates usually travel on ships. Korngold's scores sound much more like ships and the sea than Hook does, though it does of course also have some nice piratey music.

Marian - giving a honorable mention to Goodwin's concert piece Drake 400.

I'm just gonna choose...

Sea Hawk. Yeah, I'm one of those movie music newbies who hasn't heard half the scores on the list - only Hook, in fact - but I've heard Korngold before (Kings Row), and he was a GOD.

You know, when this thread was started I voted for The Sea Hawk, because I did never heard Captain Blood. Now that I have, my vote would have be for The Sea Hawk. :sigh:

It was hard to not vote for Hook, but I think The Sea Hawk...is more pirate.

I don't hate Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's boring after the first 2 tracks. It's basically the same 2 themes repeated forever.

So, I like these kind of scores. I'd like to expand my pirate scores collection...any other suggestions?

And with this thread, I commented all the threads which I was interested in, during my 2 weeks self-forced vacation.

Hook is a pirate score, I think not.

I agree it's kind of like a more sucky Harry Potter with pirates in it.

Justin - Who still thinks that Peter Pan should be on this list.

If I didn't voted for Hook it doesn't mean I don't like it.

I love it, and the "Prologue" track is one of my favourite JW cue ever (and IMO, one of his best opening cues) and "We don't wanna grow up" has a very funny music, partially ruined by the vocals.

But, still, Hook is not "pirate" enough, compared with The Sea Hawk.

Hook is a rich and brilliant score. If only it were a couple of hours longer, it would be as cohesive as all those wonderful themes deserve it to be. And I still make the distinction between pirate and swashbuckling/sailing music. Pirate music is very specific. Korngold did not write pirate music.

Hook is a rich and brilliant score.

I agree.

If only it were a couple of hours longer, it would be as cohesive as all those wonderful themes deserve it to be.

A couple of hours longer? Man the complete score is on 3 CDs!!! I hope you mean the OST. Otherwise, you're crazy.

You're crazy, indeed, but I agree with this too.

And I still make the distinction between pirate and swashbuckling/sailing music. Pirate music is very specific.

So...where are the examples? Names names names I want the names! :pukeface:

Korngold did not write pirate music.

But The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood are two good pirate scores. :sigh:

And, like Mr. Crichton said, honorable mention to Monkey Island. :P

Michael Land, Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnel...:devil:

Mirko - who wants to expand his collection of these kind of scores.

A couple of hours longer? Man the complete score is on 3 CDs!!! I hope you mean the OST. Otherwise, you're crazy.

No, the whole score. Listening to the complete score (in the movie and on CD) you really hear it all coming together towards the end in a particularly fantastic way.

And I still make the distinction between pirate and swashbuckling/sailing music. Pirate music is very specific. Korngold did not write pirate music.

I still make the same distinction. Korngold wrote swashbuckling pirate music. Williams wrote piratey swashbuckling music.

Marian - :P

Justin - Who still thinks that Peter Pan should be on this list.

Indeed, Peter Pan is greatness. It's pretty pirate-ish, too!

~Sturgis

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks to those who reccomended Gerhardt, I'm listening to Sea Hawk (the longer pressing) now, and the Captain Blood CD is in the mail. I also have the Citizen Kane CD and plan to get more of these. Fabulous! 8O

ttbk

8O Strike For The Shores Of Dover! :) 8O

• 4 weeks later...
And Morgan & Stromberg are considering recording Sea Hawk, which must great fantastic if they do it (just listen to their take on Robin Hood).

John Morgan confirmed today on the FSM board that they are indeed going to record Sea Hawk (2 CDs) for release next year.

You can read about it here

Yeah!

Kathy, who voted for Captain Blood

The originals aren't lost, and were in fact released by Tsunami. However, it was recorded in 1940, so it sounds a little...antique.

Marian - who will be waiting for Captain Blood when this one is out.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know what piratey movies have got good music? I like music for pirate movies very much indeed and am trying to get anything good I can get my greedy hands on. :)

At the moment I have the following soundtracks:

- Captain Blood

Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Rating: No rating

I only have a few tracks in horrid sound quality. Nice main theme though.

- Cutthroat Island

John Debney

Rating: *****

I have the full 2-CD soundtrack and I really love it. As far as I know, best overly amazing score for a pirate movie ever. So far, none of the others have impressed me quite as much.

- Hook

John Williams

I have the original soundtrack and an extended 3-CD version, but the latter has stupid clicks and plops. Definitely a great score indeed!

- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Christopher Gordon

Rating: *

Dul, boring, hardly anything to like here. "The Battle" must be the most boring battle track ever. Works in the movie though.

- Mutiny on the Bounty

Bronislau Kaper

I have the 3-CD set, but haven't listened to it in it's entirety yet. What I did listen to sounded absolutely awesome. I love track 2 "Main Title/Portsmouth Harbor".

- Peter Pan

James Newton Howard

Rating: No rating - I think *** would do

Didn't really sound very piratey. Nice enough though. Sounded a bit Hookish in the movie every now and then.

- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Klaus Badelt and co.

Rating: **

When I first heard it, I really liked it. After I heard Cutthroat Island, I have become unimpressed with it. Having now heard even more proper pirate-movie scores, I don't really like it anymore at all.

- Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas

Harry Gregson-Williams

Great fun, great music, absolutely excellent.

- The Sea Hawk

Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Rating: No rating yet - I think ****, but it might be ***** after all

Nice main theme. I haven't listened to the rest of the music yet, but what I heard sounds nice. [sacrilege]Didn't seem quite as impressive as Cutthroat Island though. And Mutiny on the Bounty also impressed me more after the first few tracks.[/sacrilege]

- Treasure Planet

James Newton Howard

Rating: ***

Some nice piratey parts. Definitely a good soundtrack. Not overly impressive though. The modern touches are great for the film, but I would've liked the music better without it. Last track is awesome!

- The Sea Hawk

Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Rating: No rating yet - I think ****, but it might be ***** after all

Nice main theme. I haven't listened to the rest of the music yet, but what I heard sounds nice. [sacrilege]Didn't seem quite as impressive as Cutthroat Island though. And Mutiny on the Bounty also impressed me more after the first few tracks.[/sacrilege]

Cutthroat Island benefits from the huge orchestra, beefed up orchestrations and superiour recording technology.

But without Korngold, the score as Debney composed it would simply not excist.

there is nothing really wrong with the MV sound per se. the problem is that with zimmer's 'clones' on the loose, it has begun to appear with an increasing frequency...much to my annoyment. in other words, its spread to thin

there is nothing really wrong with the MV sound per se. the problem is that with zimmer's 'clones' on the loose, it has begun to appear with an increasing frequency...much to my annoyment. in other words, its spread to thin

You can hear cheap knock-offs in far to many films and TV shows too.

You can hear cheap knock-offs in far to many films and TV shows too.

true, i've noticed MV-ish music in Bruckheimer's Amazing Race (not sure who did the music) and definitely The Contender (I'm sure I glanced Zimmer's name in the credits for this one before)

• 1 year later...

Hook.

I agree that POTC: At World's End is my all time favorite pirate film score. But then again, Hook and Pirates can't be compared. They are totally different types of scores.

As long as Cutthroat Island exists, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End can never be the best pirate score. As far as I'm concerned anyway. I only consider Hook to be an extremely good score with piratey elements; not a pirate score.

As long as Cutthroat Island exists, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End can never be the best pirate score. As far as I'm concerned anyway. I only consider Hook to be an extremely good score with piratey elements; not a pirate score.

Exactly. Hook is superb, no doubt about it. It's one of my favourite work by Williams. BUT it is not a pirate score. It has pirate elements (Prologue theme, Pirates theme...) but most of is a fantasy score, similar to Star Wars with more childish elements.

I agree that POTC: At World's End is my all time favorite pirate film score.

I think Marian just died of shock!

Nothing surprises me anymore. At least he picked the enjoyable one of the three scores.

Favourite score for a swashbuckler: Debney's "Cutthroat Island", Gregson-Williams' "Sinbad" and Zimmer's (and co.'s) "PotC:AWE".

Special mention: Korngold's scores - I am not a great fan of Golden Age sound, but on the other hand, Korngold created the swashbuckler music and that's why he deserves everlasting respect.

Special Prize - "Hook". It's more in 'Peter Pan movie music' cathegory, but still involves a lot of pirates, so that's why the special prize.

This is sort of a pointless poll, because this is a Williams forum and Hook is going to win.

Exactly, I knew everyone would immediately click Hook or Cutthroat Island, so I decided to give Hansy a little credit.

Muppet Treasure Island has some great music, some of Zimmer's best. It has hints of Hook in it, with some preludes to a developing Pirates Of The Caribbean theme.

If we've voting on Pirate scores, where the hell is Pirates Of The Caribbean and Peter Pan?